Welcome to PatsFans.com

Noonan Says what a *LOT* of people are thinking

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Peggy Noonan speaks straight and to the point: President Bush has made a LOT of mistakes, and he keeps on making them with no apparent concern for what will follow.

Too Bad
    President Bush has torn the conservative coalition asunder.

Friday, June 1, 2007 12:00 a.m. EDT

What political conservatives and on-the-ground Republicans must understand at this point is that they are not breaking with the White House on immigration. They are not resisting, fighting and thereby setting down a historical marker--"At this point the break became final." That's not what's happening. What conservatives and Republicans must recognize is that the White House has broken with them. What President Bush is doing, and has been doing for some time, is sundering a great political coalition. This is sad, and it holds implications not only for one political party but for the American future.

The White House doesn't need its traditional supporters anymore, because its problems are way beyond being solved by the base. And the people in the administration don't even much like the base. Desperate straits have left them liberated, and they are acting out their disdain. Leading Democrats often think their base is slightly mad but at least their heart is in the right place. This White House thinks its base is stupid and that its heart is in the wrong place.

For almost three years, arguably longer, conservative Bush supporters have felt like sufferers of battered wife syndrome. You don't like endless gushing spending, the kind that assumes a high and unstoppable affluence will always exist, and the tax receipts will always flow in? Too bad! You don't like expanding governmental authority and power? Too bad. You think the war was wrong or is wrong? Too bad.

But on immigration it has changed from "Too bad" to "You're bad."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

//

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

While he thumps his chest claiming, "I am president" ... he has not only distanced himself from his party, but from all of mainstream america. His vision and single mindedness has broken with most american people.

3. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Before he was just stupid. Now his old addictive, alcoholic personality is resufacing again. 1/20/09 can not come fast enough.

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Faith must always be guided by to goal gaining real results in this life-time, not the next. Since he committed to the use of the military his noble objective of making America safe and free from terrorist attacks, he severely limited his ability to communicate freely with all the parties involve in Iraq. He self-restricted himself unnecessarily and not to either his own or the national/world benefit.

Problem is: once engaged in a military conflict it is not so easy to disengage. So he is trying to bolster the Iraqi government to stand on its own. That, too, is no easy task given the three or more major sects (Sunni, Shi'a, Kurd), factions that have been separated by violence for a long time.

NOT a task for just one nation (U.S. or anyone else) to try to do. The U.N. would be hard-pressed to do this job, as we see from U.N. failures in Africa, to date.

//

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

WTF, do you have a pat answer for everysituation.. if this is said then respond with answer #36, when you start off a post with faith in the first sentence I usually do not read it.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 2 / -9

I voted for him, twice, now I watch him on TV and I really think he is losing his mind, everything that can go wrong is going wrong and it doesn't seem to bother him at all, the Illegal Alien thing did it for me, Illegal Aliens are an insult to the memory of my Grandparents who worked their a$ses off to become citizens and they flew the flag every day of their life.
    George Bush has betrayed me he has turned into one of those Damn Democrat Grinning Hyena's that are always sniffing and slobbering around Auntie Pelosi.

I don't think I will ever bother voting again.
    :bricks:

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't give up, Harry. W got in over his head, didn't follow good advice, though it was offered. He chose to stand pat with a good hand -- and excellent hand, actually -- and he got sucked into doing some foolish things. Too bad he didn't listen to the right advice on what to do after 9/11. Listened to the hawks when there were some wiser advice available. The time has come for a more mature approach to the world scene, something beyond just brute force.

//

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +811 / 2 / -9

Oh Lord, I hope so, I want to believe'

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

look at them backtracking and jumping ship...

two of the staunchest Crusade supporters on the forum... how telling, indeed...

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

World of difference between "backtracking and jumping ship" and telling the coach that the clock is running and some innovations are needed if the game is to be won.

I'm sure you're big enough to figure that out.

//

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +811 / 2 / -9

Biden, Obooma, Hillary, Edwards, Kanoochi etc, with all the things I don't like about what Bush is doing I probably would vote for him again if he were running before I would vote for one of these double talking back stabbing phony lying f-cking a$s holes.
    :bricks: