PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Non-QB throwing the ball away

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Bong

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
After seeing Tony Romo make that nice run after the snap that went over his head I got to wondering about throwing the ball away to minimize losing yardage. Last night Welker ran an end-around. If he could clearly see two defenders that he was not going to get past (before getting back to the line of scrimmage) would it be a bad idea to bail on the play and toss/throw/whip the ball out of bounds? Those end-around plays tend to be great (the defense bought it) or lousy resulting in a loss because the defense maintained their responsibilities.

How about a running back that runs out wide and finds a similar situation? Seems like as long as the player is confident that he's not being closely pursued behind him it wouldn't be too risky an option and it stops the clock which helps in certain circumstances.

As long as he throws it beyond the original line of scrimmage, it would be okay.

Easier said than done. QB's always want to make the play, rather than lose a down. It's just different when you're the QB, and you want to really make the play.

I'm also talking from no experience here, except for Madden experience if that counts for anything...:)

If it's a running play, I'd worry about the blockers having gotten past the line of scrimmage and the throw being a penalty for that reason.

Steve Largent has done this.

Regards,
Chris

After seeing Tony Romo make that nice run after the snap that went over his head I got to wondering about throwing the ball away to minimize losing yardage. Last night Welker ran an end-around. If he could clearly see two defenders that he was not going to get past (before getting back to the line of scrimmage) would it be a bad idea to bail on the play and toss/throw/whip the ball out of bounds? Those end-around plays tend to be great (the defense bought it) or lousy resulting in a loss because the defense maintained their responsibilities.

How about a running back that runs out wide and finds a similar situation? Seems like as long as the player is confident that he's not being closely pursued behind him it wouldn't be too risky an option and it stops the clock which helps in certain circumstances.

This is a really bad idea, just like the Welker lateral. It may save you some yards, but there is too high a chance of a game changing turnover.

If it's a running play, I'd worry about the blockers having gotten past the line of scrimmage and the throw being a penalty for that reason.

Great point, I had wondered the same thing but hadn't thought of this.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back