Welcome to PatsFans.com

Non-partisan Budget Chief contradicts Obama's claim re Medicare coverage

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[size=+4]Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs[/size]

By ERICA WERNER (AP) – 21 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Congress' chief budget officer is contradicting President Barack Obama's oft-stated claim that seniors wouldn't see their Medicare benefits cut under a health care overhaul.

The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators Tuesday that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans would see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee.

The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.

Obama says cuts to Medicare providers won't reduce seniors' benefits.

The Associated Press: Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs

Somebody's lying.

//
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +516 / 6 / -2

Well, that depends on what the definition of "is" is.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah, its you. There's like 6 different bills bouncing around Congress right now. Is Obama responsible for all of them? Even if a couple contradict each other?

Until one emerges from both houses and Obama actually signs it you're just being your usual BS self.
  4. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Cuts might not reduce benefits to seniors. It will however cut the price paid to the provider. That I can gaurantee.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +516 / 6 / -2

Yeah, so who ends up paying the difference? Anyone want to guess? :confused2:
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 8 / -13

Well no Pelosi is still referring to HR3200, the outline of Baucus's bill has been published (minus the 500 amendments proposed). The absurd part is that Pelosi has blocked a proposal that members be given a couple of days to review the 'final bill' likewise H Reid won't allow 72 hrs to review the 'final' bill in the Senate which will be an amendment to a TARP bill. THe bills won't be put on the web for public review the CBO isn't being given time to finish an analysis before the votes.

This is the game the dims are playing with 1/6th of the economy. So much foir transparency.

BO has punted but said he will support whatever mess is passed by congress. So he is accountable for the lies he told. If he didn't have the final product why say there would be no tax increases, or portability and lie?
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

The Lobbyists will not get a chance to ramp up their rhetoric and get Freedomworks and the rest of their lackeys all fired up to stop this damned bill... lemmings need an opportunity to organize.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The key word here is Medicare ADVANTAGE plans.

These plans are not Medicare as you know it. They are medicare programs run by private insurance companies and they are relatively new and they haven't been working out so well for patient or doctor alike.

I've had a few of our patients who switched to one only to become totally disillusioned within months and switch back to Medicare at the first opportunity.

Some of the Advantage plans are cheaper - but at a cost. Most are HMOs, so you're entirely limited in your choice of physician, lab, hospital etc. There are those who say you can see "any willing doctor" but, as a person working in a doctor's office, most doctors aren't willing.

Medicare is dependable, it is fairly quick-paying and the paper work is minimal compared to private insurers. The "Advantage plans" are none of those things. Doctors accept them for awhile because they like their patients, they don't want to upset them by denying their insurance and they are hopeful that it'll work out.

It doesn't and a few months down the line the doctor has to tell the patient that he can no longer accept the Advantage plan in question and the patient will have to find a new doctor or cover the cost of the visit out of pocket.

That's the point where the patient finds out that not only will his old doctor no longer take his insurance but that there are very very few other doctors who will accept the insurance plan.

Personally I think it would be a great idea to ban private insurance companies from getting involved in Medicare at all.

Don't trust me, tho, check it out for yourself.

http://www.medicare.gov/MPPF/Include/DataSection/ComparePlans/BenefitsAtAGlance.asp
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Oh yeah, and another thing:

There have been multiple complaints about The Advantage Plans. Many private insurers have already been stopped from offering them.

Reducing payments to physicians or HMOs who are involved in Advantage Plans are nothing new. It's just one more example of Obama having to finish fullfilling Bush's empty promises. Congress started considering reductions in payments back in 2007.

The changes don't solve fundamental problems with Medicare Advantage and are a ``pathetic attempt'' to protect the plans, said Representative Pete Stark, a California Democrat and chairman of the House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee, which is reviewing U.S. payments to the providers.

``Independent and nonpartisan experts agree that private plans are massively overpaid relative to Medicare,'' Stark said in a statement. ``The excessive payments also provide an incentive for marketing abuses that will continue as long as they are in effect.''

Congress is considering cutting payments for Medicare Advantage, which costs about 12 percent more than government- administered Medicare benefits

Humana, UnitedHealth Suspend Some Health Plans After Complaints - Bloomberg.com

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/senate_medicare_advantage.html

At a committee hearing Wednesday, Wisconsin Insurance Commissioner Sean Dilweg testified that 37 out of 43 states that participated in a recent survey reported complaints about Medicare Advantage plan sales agents and their confusing or misleading marketing practices.

“In the most troubling of these cases, unscrupulous agents have enrolled beneficiaries with dementia into an inappropriate plan,” Dilweg said. “Seniors are being told that they can go to any provider without being told that they may only go to a provider that accepts Medicare, and also a provider that has agreed to accept the plan's payments.”

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/senate_medicare_advantage.html#ixzz0S1InwhTD

Did you feel the same back in 2007 when Congress mentioned cutting payments and/or applying better guidelines or is this a relatively new and Obama-related disgust?

A huge part of the cause of the current health care crisis is the fact that the previous administration refused to do anything about gross overpayments and/or creating federal guidelines for private insurers.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

Good Response Ms. PatsfaninVa... glad to see you provide some sanity to this often maddening situation..
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree: TORT REFORM is Priority Number ONE. Get the damned to hell pony-tails out of medicine and let the doctors doctor!!!

//
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Medicaid is a Gift From God for the Welfare People and other Poor People, they get the same treatment Donald Trump gets and they all get False Teeth that looks just like Auntie Pelosi's, and it's all FREE.......
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

.... well, not EXACTLY "free" ..... you see, China bought our debt for all them false teeth and illegal aliens using our doctors and hospitals and all that kind of thing. "No job, don't wanna work, no money??? NO PROBLEM!!! Come on in to the 'new' Democrat America, where everything is 'FREE'!!!!'

Some day soon China will say: "Pay up or we own you. Everything."

//
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Well that would be a fine comment, Harry Boy, IF we were talking about Medicaid - but we're not.

You are aware that Medicare and Medicaid are two entirely different things, aren't you?
  15. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

What is China going to do that they are not already doing? Other than monetize the debt.
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You really wanna know??? You want to work for CEOs and management that is majority Chinese .... while you are IN America ON American soil?? You want policy and directions coming from Beijing or Washington? Do you want to be subsidiary of China, Inc., or USA, Inc.?? Because that's what it will be coming down to. And VERY soon, at the rate things are going.

//
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Refresh my mind, Foggy. When did this country start borrowing from China? Which presidential reign borrowed the most from them?
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

I know your not, I was, I'm on Medicare and I want God Damned Stupid Obama to keep his damn hands off it, I'm 83 yrs old, I went to work when I was 14, I have poured money into the taxes of this country all my working life, health care needs fixing thats all and before they fix it every citizen in this country should know just exactly how they are going to fix it, I don't want a bill rushed through by this Obama guy and that gang of grinning bastards that slobber and fawn while tagging along behind that old b!tch Pelosi.

Even with it's flaws America's health care is one of the best in the world, I don't want those scumbags in Washington getting anywhere near my Doctor or My Bowels.

Politicians are the lowest form of life on this planet they are the last people in the world you want anywhere near your health problems and Barack Hussein Obama is just another stinking politician.

I have never met anybody in my lifetime that has been denied health care, the finest health care in the world is available to everybody in this country and also to the many people from Canada who come here to get it.

Dial 911, tell the medic who answers your call you fainted and that you have chest pains, you will recieve the same physical examination the president gets even if your a wino living in a cardboard box.

Obama & His Health Care Hut.................>:bricks:
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, I know Bill Clinton was the first US president to break the historical doctrine of not selling ultra high security missile guidance systems to China (the ultra precision ball bearings were made right there in Vermont; no president had ever given that tech to China but Clinton did). Clinton also gave away ultra high tech computer technology to China. (My "IBM" Thinkpad is actually manufactured by Lenovo, a wholly-owned Chinese company using the IBM trademark under a deal struck, not that it is "ultra high tech", but it just underscores the extent to which China was able to wangle its way over the U.S. under Clinton.)

Oh, and then there were all those mysterious campaign contributions -- some from a Chinese "Buddhist Temple" in California for many MILLIONS of dollars (where in God's name does a "Chinese Temple" get THAT kind of money??????), as well as numerous other undisclosed campaign contributions that originated in China.

So, it seems to have started under: BILL "BLUE DRESS" CLINTON.

//
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  20. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

I guess you missed the point. They opened up their purse strings so now they control the puppet strings.....Present tense.