Welcome to PatsFans.com

Noam Chomsky speaks:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Run DMC, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Note his passage about South America and American censorship over the information about South America. Those who think we live in a free, objective media are delusional; our media is completely propagandist and biased in ways most people do not even realize.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You people who constantly biitch about America -- why don't you show some balls and spend some time outside of America, at least a year or two. See how the rest of the world is going. Visit Zimbabwe, or Egypt, or China, Vietnam, Pakistan, Venezuela, Cuba or Cambodia. Walk the walk. See how these "great societies" compare with the United States you constantly bash.

If I had my way anybody who trashes America would be given a one-way ticket out of the country, and passport would be coded as a "malcontent", subject to scrutiny upon return to the States.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

And anybody can hammer me for living outside of the States for ten years -- after spending the first 50 years of my life in America -- but as far as I'm concerned the old saw is more applicable today than it ever was: "America: love it or leave it."

//
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

How about Lithuania? They doin' okay?

We want a better America, just as Cambodians want a better life in Cambodia, Zimbabweans want a better life in Zimbabwe, and Lithuanians want a better life in Lithuania.

And that means for the people, not just the elites.

Are we a rich nation? Yes. Is this a plea for us to be richer? No, not necessarily, though it is not a plea against it either. It is a plea for us to understand what we do and don't have, and distribute those resources sanely.

Another strikeout, Foggy. It is not unpatriotic to want your country to survive, thrive, and make progress -- which is what progressives want.

To quote Hillel,

If I am not for myself, who is for me?
    If I am only for myself, what am I for?
    If not now, when?

PFnV
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I guess you decided to leave it.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Anti Americans:
    They Bash America because they really want a dictator, they want a Chavez or a Castro, they want the Government to tell you when to sh!t, they bash America as it is now because Todays America gives the people the right to tell the Anti American to "go and f-ck himself" the Anti American doesn't want the people to be allowed to disagree with them (pelosi gang censor talk radio)

Attention Comrade Anti American:
    F-CK YOU
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Let us all be reminded (Foggy) that as a citizen of the USA, it is VERY patriotic to criticize our country. Imagine if all we had was a population that just accepted everything our gov't did with a smile?

One of the features of our laws that makes it so great is the first amendment, Free Speech. If you don't voice your opinion or criticize our governments actions, you're NOT very patriotic.

You said, "America: love it or leave it." Well, if you don't criticize America for the things you don't agree with, you don't love her.

Get it Foggy?
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

Noam Chomsky has been to all of those places many times.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

That was actually a pretty good article untill he got to the rhetorical Palin is a very dangerous radical extremist, and MCain is a very dangerous loose cannon, ending. I was starting to sip some of the cool aid and then he had to go and push the right wing extremist panic button.:eek:
  10. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who gives a damn what that commie has to say?
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

I knew a lot of "commies" when I was in college...guess what big fella? Being a commie is perfectly legal and acceptable in the US of A:eek:

However, Chomsky is not a commie. :rolleyes:
  12. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When did i say it was illegal to be a commie? As far as it bieng "Acceptable"...
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

seeing as how he's the most cited living writer and the 8th most cited writer of all time (behind Sigmund Freud), and he single-handedly invented modern linguistics, I'd say a great number of people care what he has to say. I'm sorry you can't understand his writing.
  14. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Fine--then he should stick to academia and leave the rest to someone else
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

dumbest post ever?
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Drop the question mark!:D
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Imagine the advancement in religious fascism if Fog "had his way" here in America... Prince would be in jail, pre-marital sex would be an executable offense, and posters like this would be on every street corner:

[​IMG]
  18. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why dont you go back to playing games mr "Champion"..and leave the talking to the grownups...ok little buddy?
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

[​IMG]
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Not exactly, but the vigilante wouldn't be smirking any more.

:D

//
  21. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Thats one of the liberals favorite "sneak weapons" they put words in your mouth they say you said things you didn't say and they twist and spin things you do say, they do it with me all the time with Racism.

The big reason I am called a Racist is that I refuse to slobber or kiss ANYBODYS a$s simply because of the color of their skin, liberal fawners are notorious for a$s kissing that is the reason many minority's don't trust them, if I were a black man I wouldn't let Chris Matthews in my yard, if I were a Black Man I would gladly let Don Imus baby sit my children.

BLACK PEOPLE THAT KNOW ME, LOVE ME.
  22. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

To Noam is to love him.
  23. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I tried to give you a rep point, but it says i need to spread it around
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How can you even begin to know what "better" means until you have experienced what others in the world are experiencing?? You rely on the "educated class" from Harvard and MIT, but they sit in their plush salons all day looking at what they want to look at, talking with others who believe what they believe, who live as they live: the easy life, which they then feel so guilty about.

Have you ever lived outside the U.S.?? If not, then how can you say "you want to make America better"?? You have zero basis of comparison. Lazy. The limousine liberal way. John Stewart, Michael Moore, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi and Ted Kennedy way.

Come back here after a year or two in Russia, China, or the Czech Republic -- ANYWHERE outside the U.S. -- and then tell us how "America needs to change". Until then you are blowing smoke. Your opinions on "America" are utterly useless. You are simply a malcontent, a rebel with no cause but yourself.

//
  25. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

One correction: the left doesn't want anyone telling THEM what to do; they are the "cadre" who tell every one ELSE what to do. They are the self-appointed apparatchik who dictate to the masses, even as they live the high life in splendor. They are the "elite" who know so much more than everybody else. They are the "anointed" who are just "better" than everyone else. Once in power "democracy" vanishes. Once in control all who oppose them are "enemies of the state" who must be "rehabilitated" or just eliminated. Those who question them are ridiculed and marginalized out of the public discussion.

//
  26. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What kind of "patriotism" is it to just scream and rant and make movies, do television, report the news that ONLY tears down others on a personal basis??? Is this how the American Revolution was conducted?? Is this how the American Civil War was done?? Did Americans fuel themselves with the rot-gut of uncontrolled hatred of those who opposed God's will for America?? Not at all, certainly not the leaders who established America and led her for the first 150 years of her existence.

George Washington, Abe Lincoln, and all those who followed their lead did so for the purpose of making a nation that would be beneficial for the sake of others all over the world, not just for America itself. The reason America became a beacon of hope throughout the world is because of the fundamental spirit and character of concern for the public good, WITHOUT the lust of revenge against those who opposed America's ideal.

Bush and Republicans have made a lot of mistakes -- yet who among can say he or she has not?? But Bush -- and now McCain -- are thinking of what is best for the whole nation of America and for America's future based on her tradition of Godly compassion and fair play, not just grabbing something for themselves.

Chomsky speaks of revenge. He talks of insurrection. He teaches how to subvert, how to undermine, how to manipulate the masses. He sees America as his "enemy". Anyone who sees America as their fundamental enemy needs to leave America until such time that they can see America as the one single hope among all nations today for best world available today.

America needs to improve, of course. As we all do. But improving America is NOT tearing her down with subversion, with insurrection, with hateful and even violent revenge against those in power, all of which Chomsky holds in his heart toward America.

//
  27. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Obviously not long enough.

But that still begs the question: have YOU ever lived -- not just visited as a tourist, but LIVED -- outside the U.S.?

If you have no personal experience with which to compare how others live in the world, your criticism of America is hollow, without any depth of perspective. Shallow.

//
  28. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I have lived outside the US for almost half of my half century life and I can say with no uncertainty that you sir are way off base on a vast majority of your assertions, not to mention completely lacking compassion of any kind which is even more disturbing considering who and what you claim to be.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  29. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Based on what??? Your desire to see Islam dominate America?

//
  30. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

I do not believe I've discussed the details of where I have and have not lived on this forum, nor do I have any desire to.

As to personal attacks, despite having no such knowledge, in this post you have called me, personally (and not my argument):
    - Lazy
    - A malcontent
    and
    - A rebel with no cause by [my]self.

It is evident that your argument, such as it is, has nothing to do with the points I make, but has everything to do with attempting to demonize me personally, the better to fit me into one template or another. This time it relies on my imagined travel and living-abroad itinerary.

Good try, Fog, but if I see injustice here in America, I am quite happy to seek justice here in America. That's the point of living under a country where one is free to express oneself; the usual suspects (I mean politicians here; I am fairly certain neither Jon Stewart nor Michael Moore have the means to invade anybody) have a harder time getting a free pass if the people can discuss their behavior and, if need be, replace them.

PFnV