PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Wr will be drafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
will go out on a limb, that we have a better chance of a high qb draft pick say a 5th or 6 round then a wr being drafted at all.. TE will be drafted high as well..

will go out on a limb, that we have a better chance of a high qb draft pick say a 5th or 6 round then a wr being drafted at all....
We don't need to draft a WR once we sign David Patten. He will be a lock to make the team.

i guess we interviewed 10-15 of them for fun then. We are drafting a WR. The only question mark is where.

IMO, we will draft a kick returner who'll come from the WR or CB crop. And there happens to be some quality Pats prospects at these two positions.

A valid argument has already been made on the value of adding a developmental WR -- especially one who returns kicks.

Whachotalkin' about?

Yeah, the Patriot offense was just blistering in the postseason, wasn't it? A lot of points put up in the SB. What went wrong? Blanket coverage of Moss, bang the beje-us out of Welker--I was waiting for him to go limp--and rough up Brady as much as possible.

In a copy cat league, we'll be seeing it over and over again until we have an answer.

Thank goodness for the guy with the four marijuana cigarettes. He bailed us out repeatedly. But Kevin Faulk always get banged up. And he's getting toward the end of his career.

Good heavens, people, Devon Thomas out of Michigan State is big, productive, and fast--6'2" 210, 79 receptions 1240 yards, 4.41. He can catch the difficult ball that most receivers can't. The Patriots will definitely be interested if they trade down.

I don't want the season to rely on Tom Brady finding a TE or Chad Jackson/Jabbar Gaffney downfield. Why not juice it up? Brady is the best player this franchise has ever had. Why not give him the tools to do the job? Compare two years ago to last year. Why not keep the same approach?

The script is out there how to beat the Patriots. The OL isn't good enough to blow people away. Brady needs another option to keep the defense honest. We need to have Moss available. If we don't get another bona fide threat--David Patten doesn't fit the bill--it'll not happen. Brady will waste more time.

I've seen Devon Thomas. He's a stud. Definite first-rounder material. He's a bigger & more versatile Lee Evans, with hands at least as good and just as fast.

He's an explosive kick-off returner, too, averaging just under 30 yards.

All options are on the table, esp. with the Jets strongly leaning to Gholston, causing us to likely trade down, creating more options.

Re: Whachotalkin' about?

The script is out there how to beat the Patriots. The OL isn't good enough to blow people away. Brady needs another option to keep the defense honest. We need to have Moss available. If we don't get another bona fide threat--David Patten doesn't fit the bill--it'll not happen. Brady will waste more time.

Umm . . . (A) the Giants had the best 4-3 DL in the league last year, and (B) the blueprint's always been there; the Giants were just the first team that's been able to actually do it--and even then they only barely eked out a win. And, come to think of it, if the OL can't blow people away, wouldn't it make more sense to just add a guy who could help the OL do so?

I've seen Devon Thomas. He's a stud. Definite first-rounder material. He's a bigger & more versatile Lee Evans, with hands at least as good and just as fast.

We've established that Thomas is your binky, but that still doesn't change the fact that he doesn't seem to represent particularly good value on this roster until you get down to the 20s, and it's unlikely the Pats drop that far.

Last edited:
Well, if you look at our roster, the predominance of 3wr sets would mandate at least 5 wr's on the team(someone is always on the bike or taking midol, they are wr's). Also, Hobbs is our #1 CB, he wont be returning any more kicks. We need a KR that can play wr or we draft a CB returner and pick up a jag like Patten for the vet minimum.

Good heavens, people, Devon Thomas out of Michigan State is big, productive, and fast--6'2" 210, 79 receptions 1240 yards, 4.41. He can catch the difficult ball that most receivers can't. The Patriots will definitely be interested if they trade down.

He's an explosive kick-off returner, too, averaging just under 30 yards.

All options are on the table, esp. with the Jets strongly leaning to Gholston, causing us to likely trade down, creating more options.

Drafting Devin Thomas with the #7 pick would be like a repeat of the Dolphins drafting Ted Ginn with the #9 overall pick. BLUNDER. You should never draft a kick returner that high. I could see a 3rd round pick on a guy like Dexter Jackson, but that's the earliest for a KR imo.

I don't want the season to rely on Tom Brady finding a TE or Chad Jackson/Jabbar Gaffney downfield. Why not juice it up? Brady is the best player this franchise has ever had. Why not give him the tools to do the job? Compare two years ago to last year. Why not keep the same approach?

Do you have some evidence to show that Devon Thomas, a first round WR with size, speed, college production and hands, will be a monster in his rookie season instead of Chad Jackson (a second round WR with size, speed, college production and hands)? I'd be more comfortable with Brady looking to find Jackson (year three of the system) than Devon Thomas as a rookie. I'd be more comfortable with Brady looking to find Dave Thomas, Ben Watson, or Jabar Gaffney than looking to find a rookie WR.

Yeah, the Patriot offense was just blistering in the postseason, wasn't it? A lot of points put up in the SB. What went wrong? Blanket coverage of Moss, bang the beje-us out of Welker--I was waiting for him to go limp--and rough up Brady as much as possible.

So that means our receivers weren't good enough?
We should get a reciever from the draft so we can replace
Randy,Wes, Jabar and/or Chad with a rookie?!?:eek:

WR.............OL OL OL OL OL TE............WR
..^.....WR..........................^..............^
..|.......^...........................|...............|
Moss....|.......................Watson....Nobody Good
.......Welker

if you don't understand why it is beneficial for us to draft a WR at some point in the first 3 rounds you need to watch more football. Gaffney is mediocre at best and Chad Jackson has yet to produce. I think its irresponsible to rely on Chad Jackson magically becoming a beast this year. It is possible he will but we should have a security blanket.

I do not expect a WR high...FIRST DAY...but in later rounds? POssible...although not probable..and if they do not draft one I expect 1-2 UDFAs.

.......Welker

if you don't understand why it is beneficial for us to draft a WR at some point in the first 3 rounds you need to watch more football. Gaffney is mediocre at best and Chad Jackson has yet to produce. I think its irresponsible to rely on Chad Jackson magically becoming a beast this year. It is possible he will but we should have a security blanket.

Nice diagram but we're playing real football here, not John Madden. Watson IS the security blanket. And hopefully Thomas comes back healthy or the Pats draft a decent tight end so that the Pats can play some more double tight end sets which should give Brady a bit more protection and plenty of underneath targets. I say give Chad a chance to prove himself and sign a budget veteran wideout to compete for the position. Like I said the earliest I can see the Pats going wideout is round 3 for a guy like Donnie Avery or Dexter Jackson. Anything more is overkill.

No Watson plays TE. I said we need a security blanket at WR. Welker is a monster out of the slot. That's why we ran a lot of 3+ WR formations last year. For that formation to be effective it helps to have a guy opposite from moss that the defense needs to worry about.

I'm sure we'll play some double tight like we always do but that doesn't change the importance of having another WR for our other formations.

If I had to guess I'd agree with you 3rd round is the most probable for us. But don't be surprised if we take a WR in the 2nd round if the other guys we were looking at are already off the board.

.......Welker

We're better off drafting a good blocking TE over receiver or cb.
It would take a real special guy to be what you seem to be expecting.
Gaffney has done a great job and I don't see any rookies in this draft class exceeding or taking his starting position from him. Stallworth couldn't do it.

What I really want is Grahambo back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots