PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No trades: LeVoir and Tate will fill spots -- Eric Alexander re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said before, only 3 rook WRs have had more than 20 catches in this offense. Branch and Edelman.

It's not the matrix. But it does require receivers to adjust based on the D and Brady's check-downs. That is no small task.

Can Tate do it? No clue. Kontra- you know football, but you gotta believe that this system is not easy for WRs to handle- See Galloway.

I know what goes into playing the receiver position, Rob. I'm just saying not to count Tate out just because he's a rookie. That's all. I don't have a crystal ball either. I don't know if Tate is going to be successful or not. I'm damn sure not going to expect him to come out and set the world on fire. However, I'm not going to come out and say, "oh yeah, just throw his first season away. He's a rookie and there is no way he can contribute to this team in 2009".

Please name rookies who have missed all of their first offseason, attended their first practice after the sixth game of the season, and were strong contributers as a wide receiver in their rookie year. It is not only because Tate is a rookie coming off an injury. He attended his first practice today. It does take awhile for most to learn the offense and to learn to play in the NFL.

I know what goes into playing the receiver position, Rob. I'm just saying not to count Tate out just because he's a rookie. That's all. I don't have a crystal ball either. I don't know if Tate is going to be successful or not. I'm damn sure not going to expect him to come out and set the world on fire. However, I'm not going to come out and say, "oh yeah, just throw his first season away. He's a rookie and there is no way he can contribute to this team in 2009".

"LeVoir and Tate will fill spots"....quick a misleading subject on the thread...possible...BUT HARDLY "WILL"...they are at 51 with 2 open spots...I DO think that LeVoir will be the first in service with only 3 OT on the roster..and Light injured...

I think that at best we will see Tate doing kick or punt returns and maybe by week 13 he could be a small contributer to the regular offense.

Missing training camp is a big deal, especially for a rookie.

Agreed. It is certainly possible that Nunn, a free agent wideout or a free agent returner will fill one of the roster spots for a couple of games.

"LeVoir and Tate will fill spots"....quick a misleading subject on the thread...possible...BUT HARDLY "WILL"...they are at 51 with 2 open spots...I DO think that LeVoir will be the first in service with only 3 OT on the roster..and Light injured...

Last edited:
Please name rookies who have missed all of their first offseason, attended their first practice after the sixth game of the season, and were strong contributers as a wide receiver in their rookie year. It is not only because Tate is a rookie coming off an injury. He attended his first practice today. It does take awhile for most to learn the offense and to learn to play in the NFL.

It does but how do you KNOW, with confidence, that there is no way whatsoever that Tate can't come in and contribute this year? You see, that's the problem I have with this thread. Once again (for the 45th time), I'm not saying with certainty that Tate is going to come in and kill it this year, because I don't know that. I'm just saying that the chances are just as good that he COULD come in and contribute as they are that he does nothing. Like I said in another thread, Brandon Marshall is a mental midgit that held out in training camp (and when he did get there, seemed disinterested) and has had no trouble picking up our system. So why discount Tate for the entire season right off the bat?

No one knows anything. How do I know that Aiken will not be the league leader in TD receptions by year-end. I don't. But it would be grossly misleading to consider this a reaspnable [possibility just because I don't KNOW.

Tate could be the league's leader in TD receptions by year end and the hero of the patriot post-season and SB MVP for that matter. Just because these are possible does not make it reasonable to consider the possibility.

And I do agree that it is possible that Tate could contribute this year at wide receiver.
==================
Your point was that Tate is a rookie and that there have been many rookie successes at wide receiver. I strongly disagree with the analysis which ignores the fact that the others weren't coming back from injuries, didn't miss the entire preseason and didn't practice until after Game 6.

Even the sainted Gaffney didn't contribute much at all for his first 16 games (1 catch a game as I recall).

It does but how do you KNOW, with confidence, that there is no way whatsoever that Tate can't come in and contribute this year? You see, that's the problem I have with this thread. Once again (for the 45th time), I'm not saying with certainty that Tate is going to come in and kill it this year, because I don't know that. I'm just saying that the chances are just as good that he COULD come in and contribute as they are that he does nothing. Like I said in another thread, Brandon Marshall is a mental midgit that held out in training camp (and when he did get there, seemed disinterested) and has had no trouble picking up our system. So why discount Tate for the entire season right off the bat?

Tate is coming off a pretty serious knee injury, isn't he? Plus I don't think he's ever actually caught a pass on the football field from Brady. He's never taken a hit in the NFL. And there are only 11 weeks left in the regular season. Typically, the starters get all the reps in practice. So all those things add up against him. Believe me, I'd love to see Tate contributing at WR this year and I certainly think this team could use him. But there's no way I would count on it. I expect that Tate spends as much time as possible (2 or 3 weeks with the bye) practicing before he event makes it onto the 53 man roster.

Tate and Levoir AND Nunn with Edelman being out.

Aiken will probably be the #3 WR if the Pats don't make a move or trade for one. He seems to be getting targeted more lately than in recent memory.

I think Tate will play mainly ST and maybe return some kicks. Edelman had an unusually good head start. It's not fair to expect Tate to be at that level yet particularly since he was injured and on PUP to start the season.

With Edleman out for awhile, I expect that Tate will get some action returning kicks. Could help get him onto the 45 man sooner than he otherwise would have

Most people think it is a stretch to think that Tate will soon be playing WR.
But I think its really is because of him that they thought they could cut Joey.
Hopefully it works out. I heard he has been training and studying hard.

Tate does not have to be All World. He just has to be better than Galloway. Not saying that that's going to happen in his first year or rever, just that the expectations on him and the analysis of his success or not should be tempered based on who he needs to replace right now. He does not need to be Moss

Last edited:

OK, but there really isn't any evidence of this.

Keep in mind, Tate blew out his knee just a year ago. It is hard enough for a rookie to adjust to the NFL game, but now he is practicing for the first time and coming off a major injury. I think it may take him time to adjust to the speed of the game and for the offense to become natural for him. He can learn the plays, but there is no substitute for practice.

Also, Tate wasn't considered a real polished WR coming of of college. He didn't put up big numbers and was considered more raw than some other prospects. He is a great athlete and was considered a possibly great return man. I think it more likely he makes an immediate impact on ST, at least early on.

It has to be a longshot for Tate to help significantly at WR but it's not impossible if he has a good feel for the passing game - which I have no idea if he does. With Moss, Welker and Brady, our #3 WR has one of the easiest jobs in the league, tons of single coverage. Tate supposedly knows the playbook; how that translates to the field we don't know, most likely there will be a fairly lenghty transition but some guys just "get it". Maybe we'll be lucky and he'll be one of those. Either way, it's great for next year that he's out there now.

Last edited:

What's your source?

With Edleman out for awhile, I expect that Tate will get some action returning kicks. Could help get him onto the 45 man sooner than he otherwise would have

He is already on it. He has a 3 week window and BB is not going to waste a single day of that.

Tate is a great player. At NC, he was a force in special teams and a very good receiver. His injury is still something to be looked at it.

Be that as it may, I hope he returns some kicks this week. Why not? A return man like that would help this team tremendously. It was also said that he has the playbook down. So, hopefully they give him a chance to see what he brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes