PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No trades: LeVoir and Tate will fill spots -- Eric Alexander re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: No Trades Today. Tate, LeVoir taking spots of Galloway, Matthews.Pats Re-sign EA

And a pick.

Still, maybe they thought Thomas just wasn't going to pan out, and they saw Matthews and Thomas as a wash. In that case, they gained a (5th?) for a basically nothing.

Didn't they trade a pick for Matthews and get a pick for the Thomas?

Re: No Trades Today. Tate, LeVoir taking spots of Galloway, Matthews.Pats Re-sign EA

There is NO WAY that Tate and Levoir are on the 45 at this point..they get league exemptions for a few weeks..I am sure someone knows EXACTLY how long that is and can add that. And I believe Tate on NFI has a different window...I am sure Reiss, Price will clear all that up. BUT NO..no way are they on the 53.
Sure there is a way. Just because you have three weeks to evaluate them doesn't mean you need three weeks. BB might want to play them before the three weeks are up. They can practice during the evaluation period, but they can't play.

But Tate's position is too complicated. He'll be 3 weeks before hes on the 53, if he even gets on it, and 6 weeks before he has a chance to hit the 45 in anything other than a ST role.
Nonsense. Edelman never played WR in college, and he played on opening day. Tate is an accomplished WR. THere is no reason to think it will take him 9 weeks to get on the field, especially as he already has a feel for the offense from attending position meetings and knows the playbook.

BB just addressed the situation in his live presser. He said that while the PUP guys practiced today that they "haven't shown him anything yet" and that they probably won't make a roster move until later in the week whether it be a FA, practice squad or with one of the PUP guys. He also said he's "not sure that a guy off PUP and just a couple days of practice will be ready to contribute...but it's possible."

He also said Alexander was never released, contrary to reports.

Nonsense. Edelman never played WR in college, and he played on opening day. Tate is an accomplished WR. THere is no reason to think it will take him 9 weeks to get on the field, especially as he already has a feel for the offense from attending position meetings and knows the playbook.

Right. Because we know that all Patriot rookie WRs immediately step in and become contributors from their very first practice.

Didn't they trade a pick for Matthews and get a pick for the Thomas?

I haven't seen the exact conditions for the Matthews pick, but I've seen a couple of places say that he didn't meet the playing time conditions, and the Pats get their pick back.

Nonsense. Edelman never played WR in college, and he played on opening day. Tate is an accomplished WR.

So was Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson. Rookie WRs almost NEVER make an impact. Edelman is an exception. That doesn't mean Tate will be.

This is the same argument people were making last year with O'Connel:" Cassel was good and O'Connel is a better prospect, so he has to be better". Its a logical fallacy, and I think you know that.

Tate's position is too complicated. He'll be 3 weeks before hes on the 53, if he even gets on it, and 6 weeks before he has a chance to hit the 45 in anything other than a ST role.

Right. Because we know that all Patriot rookie WRs immediately step in and become contributors from their very first practice.
I can't tell if you are just trying to be a horse's patootie or if you simply cannot read with comprehension. Or if you really didn't know that Edelman played in every game this year and started two (against the Jets and Titans).

As usual, all the rumors are much ado about nothing.

I can't tell if you are just trying to be a horse's patootie or if you simply cannot read with comprehension. Or if you really didn't know that Edelman played in every game this year and started two (against the Jets and Titans).

Edelman had a full training camp.

So was Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson. Rookie WRs almost NEVER make an impact. Edelman is an exception. That doesn't mean Tate will be.

This is the same argument people were making last year with O'Connel:" Cassel was good and O'Connel is a better prospect, so he has to be better". Its a logical fallacy, and I think you know that.

Rookie WRs that have made an impact this season: Hakeem Nicks, Percy Harvin, Louis Murphy, Jeremy Maclin, Julian Edelman, Mike Wallace, Austin Collie, Johnny Knox.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I can review last year as well. All I'm saying, though, is not to count out Tate as being a possible impact player just because he's a rookie. We won't know unless he's on the field.

On the same token, I''m not saying that he's going to come in an immediately be our next Randy Moss as I definitely don't think that's going to happen. However, he can come in somewhere on the team and make an impact with the team, whether it's in the return game or as a WR. With Galloway gone now, what could it hurt to give him some reps this year and see what he's got? Surely he can't be much worse than Aiken...

Again, you're making the leap that Edelman picking up the system is proof that Tate will. One statement simply does not support the other.

Rookie WRs that have made an impact this season: Hakeem Nicks, Percy Harvin, Louis Murphy, Jeremy Maclin, Julian Edelman, Mike Wallace, Austin Collie, Johnny Knox.

Can you please point out which one of those missed all of training camp and preseason?

Thats what, a handful out of 50 or so? And most of them have had their impact on ST, and not really as WR.

With Galloway gone now, what could it hurt to give him some reps this year and see what he's got? Surely he can't be much worse than Aiken...

There are only a limited amount of active roster spots, and yes, he most assuredly could be worse than Aiken. He almost certainly IS going to be worse than Aiken or Slater on STs, and activating him means deactivating one of them.

Last edited:

Can you please point out which one of those missed all of training camp and preseason?

You're putting too much emphasis on training camp and preseason. What Tate missed there, he could pick up with extra reps in practice. Edelman picked up our WR position before the first preseason game. By all accounts, he picked it up in the first week of training camp. As for knowing the playbook, Tate is likely been force-fed it in his time recovering.

Thats what, a handful out of 50 or so? And most of them have had their impact on ST, and not really as WR.

Not every rookie WR is going to start and obviously, not every rookie WR is going to make an immediate impact. It certainly is a crapshoot. However, saying that the majority of them have made more of an impact on special teams is simply not true. Nicks has had some big catches in almost every game he's played in this season. Harvin caught a TD reception in his first three or four games of the season. Murphy had a HUGE game in Week 1 and has made an impact in the running and receiving game as a blocker but can only get better. Maclin had a 142 yard performance against Tampa and has two TD's on the season. I don't believe I have to tell you about Edelman. Wallace had a big time catch in Week 1 to help give the Steelers the win and has had some impact making catches since then. Collie is quickly turning into one of Manning's favorite receivers. And, finally, Knox is doing some pretty good things both on offense and on special teams. All of those WRs have made impacts in some form or fashion on offense.

Now let's take a look at Sam Aiken on the season: 5 receptions, 56 yards, 0 TD's. It's even a wonder that he's even caught a few balls since he has a painfully hard time creating separation if you watch him. Again, what could it hurt to see what Tate has in a few weeks? Worst case scenario, he doesn't show anything and Aiken is back in anyway. Even with Aiken, Moss is getting double covered the majority of the time. It's not going to change without him.

So again, don't count out Tate as a complete non-factor just because he's a rookie.

What the hell are you arguing about? Either of you could be right in the end, sometimes it pans out one way, and sometimes another. If Tate contributes this season that's a bonus, but for now don't count your chickens...

How many rookie WR's contribute immediately IN THIS SYSTEM let alone absent an entire TC...

Some HC's will just throw **** against the wall and hope some sticks. BB isn't one of them. He won't play a rookie unless he's pretty convinced in practice he can do the job. And even then a kid like Edleman only got on the field due to injury. Tate has been able to attend meetings but he hasn't practiced a snap at the position in this offense. Last time we had a rookie WR in that situation was Chad Jackson...and we all recall how well that went. Really couldn't contribute and then tore his ACL on ST...

What the hell are you arguing about? Either of you could be right in the end, sometimes it pans out one way, and sometimes another. If Tate contributes this season that's a bonus, but for now don't count your chickens...

I'm not counting my chickens. I'm just saying that counting out Tate already because he is a rookie is a mistaken line of thinking. There are plenty of rookie WRs that have contributed this year.

And by the way, what is our system? The Matrix? Does it have to be deciphered for rookies by The Architect before they can come in and play? I understand that the line of thinking is that it's difficult for some to pick up, but Tate has had the entire offseason to study the playbook. The only thing he needs to do now is practice and work hard and he should see the field at some point.

good to hear that, no more trades, that's OK for me for a while

I'm not counting my chickens. I'm just saying that counting out Tate already because he is a rookie is a mistaken line of thinking. There are plenty of rookie WRs that have contributed this year.

And by the way, what is our system? The Matrix? Does it have to be deciphered for rookies by The Architect before they can come in and play? I understand that the line of thinking is that it's difficult for some to pick up, but Tate has had the entire offseason to study the playbook. The only thing he needs to do now is practice and work hard and he should see the field at some point.

As I've said before, only 3 rook WRs have had more than 20 catches in this offense. Branch and Edelman.

It's not the matrix. But it does require receivers to adjust based on the D and Brady's check-downs. That is no small task.

Can Tate do it? No clue. Kontra- you know football, but you gotta believe that this system is not easy for WRs to handle- See Galloway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing