PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Trade - No Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It really is that simple. We would be OVER the cap today if we hadn't traded Cassel. Vrabel was gone before his March 1st bonus was due in any case.
=================================================
The team is doing well as we start free agency. We have decisions our ERFA and RFA's. We have added TBC, Baker and Taylor. We have lost a couple of free agents and re-signed one. Most importantly, we have significantly improved the offense with the addition of Baker and Taylor.

There is a lot of work to do, but we now have the cap and draft resources to get it done. The open question is how much of the cap money will be used on extensions. I expect a trade the week before the draft (when such things are announced), hopefully for Holt.

OFFENSE
We still need to acquire a couple of wide receivers and a guard to possibly replace Neal in 2010. Hopefully the offense can get to use one of the Day One picks.

DEFENSE
I expect us to add a couple of linebackers, one in free agency and one in the draft. We will add a corner or two in free agency and we will draft a safety in the first three rounds (or acquire another in free agency).

The hard work will come regarding the defensive line. None have long-term contracts except for Warren. Wright is a free agent now. The team is working on extending Wilfork (although he could be franchised for a couple of years). I expect that Green is next. It would seem that we need a defensive lineman or two if we don't re-sign Wright.

I agree completely. I thought the same thing in a thread that got merged into one that had nothing to do with the same point you just made.

The Pats had major time pressure and that really is the simple reason why we dealt without waiting for maybe another 3rd or higher pick from someone else.

Vrabel's bonus was due an hour from now (3/2/09), and Cassel's cap was killing us from doing anything in FA or possibly resigning our own higher profile guys.

I was against franchising Cassel because of the adverse effect

it would have on free agency. By dealing him quickly, the Pats

were able to enter the market before all the good free agents (their's

included) were gone. That 34th pick will be a very good football

player.

So the 18 free agent signings they've made since the trade would have been impossible?

Pats have made 7 signings up till today and yes, we'd be over the cap if we still had Cassel

I love the Fred Taylor signing but the money has me puzzled. Morris is clearly our #1. Faulk our 3rd down back. I hoped Maroney could at least be our #2 back. At $3 million per year BB clearly isn't looking at Taylor as a #3 RB or injury backup. ( does this mean Maroney is in jeopardy ? )

PS I also like BJGE

I love the Fred Taylor signing but the money has me puzzled. Morris is clearly our #1. Faulk our 3rd down back. I hoped Maroney could at least be our #2 back. At $3 million per year BB clearly isn't looking at Taylor as a #3 RB or injury backup. ( does this mean Maroney is in jeopardy ? )

PS I also like BJGE

I would not be surprised to see Maroney get shipped out in some kind of deal.

I agree completely. I thought the same thing in a thread that got merged into one that had nothing to do with the same point you just made.

The Pats had major time pressure and that really is the simple reason why we dealt without waiting for maybe another 3rd or higher pick from someone else.

Vrabel's bonus was due an hour from now (3/2/09), and Cassel's cap was killing us from doing anything in FA or possibly resigning our own higher profile guys.

5000 posts.....WOOT!

I agree, at the end of the day you can never have too many round 2 picks. Even first rounders usually don't start right away. In most cases a JAG is better than a rookie.

Good article from Boston.com
Sanders has room to grow - The Boston Globe

Perhaps Belichick thinks that Taylor is our #1 running back.

PS I also like BJGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back