PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No SB since Ty Law left - Gotta target CBs no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
After reading this article on the basics of the 3-4 defense (http://football.calsci.com/DefensiveLine3.html), it sunk in that the 3-4 is great against the run but can be a liability against a fast passing team... and it occured to me that we haven't won a SB since our best corner left after 2004.

Add to that that Asante's situation looks pretty iffy at the moment... Don't we absolutely HAVE TO have a CB as our #1 priority?

PS- I was very high on Daymeion Hughes because he seemed like such an intelligent player, and I couldn't figure out why the more knowledgeable posters didn't like him. I still like him, but his lack of speed really doesn't fit what a 3-4 corners responsibilities are, does it? Is there room for a guy like that in some of our packages?

Last edited:
After reading this article on the basics of the 3-4 defense, I realize that the 3-4 is great against the run but can be a liability against a fast passing team... (Duh, right? Well it was sort of new to me).

It occured to me that we haven't won a SB since our best corner left after 2004, and Asante's situation looks iffy.

That being the case, don't we absolutely HAVE TO have a CB as our #1 priority.

... Also, I was very high on Daymeion Hughes because he seemed like such an intelligent player. I still am, but his lack of speed really doesn't fit what a 3-4 corners responsibilities are, does it? Is there room for a guy like that in some of our packages?
actually the patriots won the sb without ty law.he got hurt in Pittsburgh halloween night and never returned

Last edited:
There's a lot of players we haven't won a SB since not having. Our CB play vs. Indy wasn't the problem. Sure a CB would be a good idea if we can't sign Samuel long term but there's lots of other ways to improve the team too.

Oh yeah.... but would you agree that there is a premium on quality CBs in our scheme since the weakness on paper is pass defense?

Injuries have taken the toll on the Patriots. If you ask me I think Rodney Harrison out of the lineup has been huge along with lack of LB depth.

They won the superbowl without Ty Law against the Eagles. However, I really like CB Chris Houston and CB Darrelle Revis. If available, I feel the Pats should grab one of these guys regardless whether Samuel re-signs. Houston looks like he has the confidence to cover anybody and Revis can do a lot of things as well. I would also like to Pats to draft S Griffin or S Nelson. The Pats can focus on LB either by trading back into the 2nd round or sit tight for the third round a draft a LB. If the Pats can draft two guys in the secondary and get David Harris later in the draft, that would great.

Injuries have taken the toll on the Patriots. If you ask me I think Rodney Harrison out of the lineup has been huge along with lack of LB depth.
Yep, I hate the Titans and Jeff Fisher forever for taking Rodney out and then being happy about it.

Yep, I hate the Titans and Jeff Fisher forever for taking Rodney out and then being happy about it.

Me too. I was watching that game in week 17 with my buddy who's a Titans fan and when Bobby Wade went low on Rodney, I told him that I would HATE Wade for the rest of my life if Rodney missed the playoffs. It was such a downer. Hopefully this year we rest key players in week 17 if the playoffs aren't on the line.

\

You nailed it.

After reading this article on the basics of the 3-4 defense (http://football.calsci.com/DefensiveLine3.html), it sunk in that the 3-4 is great against the run but can be a liability against a fast passing team... and it occured to me that we haven't won a SB since our best corner left after 2004.

Add to that that Asante's situation looks pretty iffy at the moment... Don't we absolutely HAVE TO have a CB as our #1 priority?

PS- I was very high on Daymeion Hughes because he seemed like such an intelligent player, and I couldn't figure out why the more knowledgeable posters didn't like him. I still like him, but his lack of speed really doesn't fit what a 3-4 corners responsibilities are, does it? Is there room for a guy like that in some of our packages?

To be completely honest I think NT, DE, OLB, ILB, and S are all more important in NE's defense. Obviously, if you can find a shutdown CB it's going to help, but those are few and far between.

No SB since Charlie and Romeo left.

We won the Iggles superbowl months after Ty Law played his last game for us.

However, we have not won a superbowl since Omare Lowe left, so your CB analysis might be valid after all :D

No SB since Charlie and Romeo left.
And, yet, they were one 3rd and 5 from winning the SB. All this "no SB since X left" is silly. We were THISCLOSE last year - sometimes you don't get the break you need.

And, yet, they were one 3rd and 5 from winning the SB. All this "no SB since X left" is silly. We were THISCLOSE last year - sometimes you don't get the break you need.

Sometimes we forget about how good last years team was, and with all the upgrades this year we will only be better. The stability in the coaching ranks is also beneficial. Please make the draft come quick, so if all of these what if's can end.

If a CB/FS has not been chosen by 91, and if he's available, then I would strongly consider Hughes there.

P.S.: espn.com shows Hughes' 40-time as 4.65; SI.com shows it as 4.56; PFW's is 4.63; NFLDraftScout, on FoxSports.com, has 4.65. Shall I then ass-u-me that Hughes runs closer to 4.65 than to 4.56?

Edit: On UCal's pro day, Hughes ran a 4.56 and 4.58. Still not what you want, but at 91, maybe what you need.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#CAL

I've had CB as my #2 need for the Pats. The immediate need is at nickelback, but the Samuel situation may create a need for a player who can take the starting slot from Chad Scott or Randall Gay. Either Revis or Hall in the first would be a major acquisition, Wilson or Wade or Davis in lieu of either of the first rounders would be a decent pick-up.

P.S.: espn.com shows Hughes' 40-time as 4.65; SI.com shows it as 4.56; PFW's is 4.63; NFLDraftScout, on FoxSports.com, has 4.65. Shall I then ass-u-me that Hughes runs closer to 4.65 than to 4.56?

Edit: On UCal's pro day, Hughes ran a 4.56 and 4.58. Still not what you want, but at 91, maybe what you need.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#CAL

Yes. It's really easy to get hung up on these workout numbers, but really what difference does .2 seconds make? That's a very small difference -over a 40 yds distance... So much of being good at sports is anticipation, the 4.56 guy is faster to the ball than the 4.36 guy when the 4.36 guy is facing the wrong direction or is slow to get out of his backpedal.

His short numbers, however, are the question mark.

Yes. It's really easy to get hung up on these workout numbers, but really what difference does .2 seconds make? That's a very small difference -over a 40 yds distance... So much of being good at sports is anticipation, the 4.56 guy is faster to the ball than the 4.36 guy when the 4.36 guy is facing the wrong direction or is slow to get out of his backpedal.

His short numbers, however, are the question mark.

Now that I've re-examined the combine times and measurements for DBs,

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10025995,

Hughes doesn't appear in his group's top 10 in any event.

91 is as early as I'd consider taking him, even if we somehow acquire a 2nd-rounder and/or an earlier 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots