PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Samuel at Hill's wake or funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazy Koz

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1004881

"BOLTON - Asante Samuel [stats] did not join his Patriots [team stats] teammates at Marquise Hill’s wake Friday in New Orleans, nor did he attend the funeral, according to several people who were at the services.
He also won’t be in Foxboro today for the team’s mandatory minicamp, his agent said last night.
“He’s not coming to camp until a contract resolution can be reached,” agent Alonzo Shavers said. “Nothing more can be said. His status has not changed. There has been no movement toward a deal.”

More fuel that Samuel is more true to his "GET PAID" tattoo than he is to the team that made him what he is.

That really bothers me.

This is starting to look more and more like the Branch situation. I hope they don't cave and trade him.

Last edited:
More fuel that Samuel is more true to his "GET PAID" tattoo than he is to the team that made him what he is.

I agree. Minicamps are one thing and a teammates wake/funeral are another. To me it's an indication that it's personal not professional.

I guess I'm the only one in this thread who would not attend the funeral of every one of my coworkers?

I agree. Minicamps are one thing and a teammates wake/funeral are another. To me it's an indication that it's personal not professional.

Pretty good assessment, do not like the way this is starting to play out.. play his game and do nothing, or try to get the best possible deal for him?? I dunno, do not think it will get to Branchian proportions this year, they have learned their lesson.

I guess I'm the only one in this thread who would not attend the funeral of every one of my coworkers?

Do you spend 14+ hours a day during camps with your current co-workers? Its a bit different when you are a part of a football team. You can't really compare your work situation to that of a football team.

As BB said, the attitude they've taken is one of FAMILY. Not co-workers.

Do you spend 14+ hours a day during camps with your current co-workers?

Try 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

Fans have this fantasy that all teammates like each other and are friends. Sports teams are like every other work enviornment. Some guys are close, some guys are casual freinds, and some guys just plain don't like each other.

If somehow Samuel does return and play for the Patriots this year,he is NOT going to be a favorite in the locker room with his non reaction to the Hill tragedy and no remarks concerning his sympathy towards Marquise were even heard anywhere in the media so its likely he really don't care about anything but the $$$.

You can bet Faulk,Alexander and Green are not happy with his absence from his dead teammate's burial and won't be shaking his hand in the locker room if Asante returns - It could be a cancerous situation for team unity-best to let him go and save the $$ for a TEAM player.

Let me get this straight.

If you worked for a small company (under a hundred workers) and one of the younger guys died, and your boss chartered a plane to fly everyone down to the wake, and the guy worked on your side of the company, and everyone else went, you would refuse to go because you felt you deserved a raise?

Yes, you may be the only one in this thread to behave like that.

Do you not think that under those conditions it might say something about you?

That is what people are saying.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with whether he "should" have gone, only that it says something about Asante that he didn't go.

Let me get this straight.

If you worked for a small company (under a hundred workers) and one of the younger guys died, and your boss chartered a plane to fly everyone down to the wake, and the guy worked on your side of the company, and everyone else went, you would refuse to go because you felt you deserved a raise?

Yes, you may be the only one in this thread to behave like that.

Do you not think that under those conditions it might say something about you?

That is what people are saying.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with whether he "should" have gone, only that it says something about Asante that he didn't go.

Depends on my closeness to the person. I work with some people who I would probably not go to their wake if it was 1 town over. My presence would be looked at as hypocritical by the freinds of that person since everyone knows we just don't get along.

There are people I work with whose wake I would attend if it were on the moon.

Without knowing Samuel's relationship with Hill there is no way anyone can know what is says about him that he didn't go.

The fact that he didn't go with the team is not news. We all knew that a few days ago.

I would not be so quick to through dirt at him unless we have postive proof that he did not go on his own. Just because this report says a couple of people didn't see him, At The Funeral, is not positive proof that he didn't go there and pay his respects.

I've attended funerals where I had met the person only a few times. When my best friend's grandmother died, I was there. It's wasn't so much about being there for her, as it was being there for him and his family. Do you think everyone that attends your funeral will have known you or even liked you? NO, many people that attend funerals and wakes are there to support people they care about. So while you may not like a specific co-worker, perhaps you're a friend on someone that will miss him/her and you go just to provide a shoulder to cry on.

Samuel not going (if in fact he didn't and I won't believe it until I hear it from a good source) is just wrong. If he cares about any teammate that's impacted by Hill's death he should have been there!!!!

I don't care if he took the team flight or not. He could've booked his own flight and gone. It is the RIGHT thing to do.

If he didn't go, it does say a lot about him. I don't want someone like that on this team. Even i it means we lose more games.

Last edited:
How about this, was Samuel's the only Patriot on the 40 man roster who didn't go. Thats' the clincher for me, unless someone has a valid excuse. Anyone know?

I really used to like this kid, but apparantly he's far more self centered than what I thought he was. He has a lot of growing up to do.

I just hope we resolve this situation and it doesn't drag on all summer...like last year with you-know-who.

No I would not attend my co-worker's wake, and I'm in management...

Samuel could do himself a favor and sign a 1 yr deal with the Pats, and prove that this yr was not a fluke.. Before this yr .. I remember his side being torched a lot in 2005, esepcially in the Falcons and Colts game..

You see, Dabruinz. I was actually having a premonition in my post on PP.
I didn't even realize it myself.

I thought Assante was a pretty classy guy but not going to his teamates wake or funeral just seems wrong. If he sits 10 weeks and then signs the tender does he still get the full 8mil? or is it divided over 16 games meaning he would get paid according to the six games he would play in??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes