PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No RB - I give it B+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have liked to see a RB drafted by the team as well that could give them solid short yardage production (IMO a problem last year, but it's more of an indictment on the line). However, the team should be pretty productive at the position in 2010.

Last edited:
I would have liked a RB, but if there wasn't a good one available then there wasn't a good one available.

I think it is still a need position. Taylor, Morris, and Faulk are so old that I don't expect a meaningful contribution from any of them. Very, very few NFL RBs have been worth much at age 34. As for Maroney and Green-Ellis, they are nothing special IMO.

I would have liked to see a RB drafted by the team as well that could give them solid short yardage production (IMO a problem last year, but it's more of an indictment on the line). However, the team should be pretty productive at the position in 2010.

I might be misremembering, but I thought Deus Irae made a strong case with Maroney being the top short yardage back in the AFC (statistically)?
I wanted a RB with younger legs and a little explosiveness. Hopefully, we'll toss some screens to LoMo and see if that stiff arm makes a return.

I might be misremembering, but I thought Deus Irae made a strong case with Maroney being the top short yardage back in the AFC (statistically)?
I wanted a RB with younger legs and a little explosiveness. Hopefully, we'll toss some screens to LoMo and see if that stiff arm makes a return.

He did. I support his assertion 100%. Maroney is a decent short yardage guy. Thats why I think it has more to do with the line than LoMo.

But hes not under contract in 2011. Hes a fine runner for this offense. I wish he did more in the passing game but thats neither here or here.

Maroney bashers in 5...4...3....2...

I would have liked a RB, but if there wasn't a good one available then there wasn't a good one available.

I think it is still a need position. Taylor, Morris, and Faulk are so old that I don't expect a meaningful contribution from any of them. Very, very few NFL RBs have been worth much at age 34. As for Maroney and Green-Ellis, they are nothing special IMO.

Maroney has the talent to be a very good back in the league. He has shown that in stretches throughout his career such as the middle-end of last year.

Faulk, why cant he make a meaningful contribution? His job is to be our 3rd down back catching passes out of the back field and runs off of draw plays. He will do his job well and play his role.

Morris/Taylor are aging yes, but they both showed signs that they can still contribute last year when they were healthy. It isnt like they will be a feature back here getting 15 carries a game, they just need to make the most of their 5 or 6.

Great draft, replace McCourty with Dez Bryant at 24 and this would have gone down as the greatest draft in Patriots history.

Not to downplay McCourty, he's a player, but Dez Bryant added to Gronkowski and Hernandez would have put this offense on another planet. Wow, if BB could have just pulled the trigger on it.

Anything less than an A for this draft means you have some serious issues..Honestly..

Downgrading them to a B+ because they didn't select a position of non-need is just laughable.

Maroney and BJGE are the young RBs. Both are in contract years and if they play well, could come back.

Last edited:
Anything less than an A for this draft means you have some serious issues..Honestly..

Downgrading them to a B+ because they didn't select a position of non-need is just laughable.

While I agree that downgrading them to a B+ just based upon the fact they didnt select a player at a particular position isnt fair, but I will say giving the draft anything less than an A does not make someone have serious issues. People could feel like they missed with some of their picks like the 1st round or not taking Bryant, or trading away too many picks and find valid reasons for feeling that way. I am not saying I agree with all of those reasons but some people might. Say if someone gave the Pats a B-, then I would start to question them. Personally I would give them a B+ as well

Last edited:
I really wanted the Pats to draft a RB.

I was hoping for Dwyer in the 5th round.

I have seen enough of Maroney to know he needs a GPS to find the hole.
The man had talent, but he has no football instincts.

I hope Taylor & Morrs stay healthy, but they never stay healthy.

2011 - Go get Ingram...

The Patriots do have another back on their roster, he just can't play until 2011- Eric Kettani, the FB out of Navy.

His two year active service commitment is up in 2011, the Patriots still have his rights so his rights being owned by the Patriots could be another reason why they chose not to get a back with any of the compensatory picks.

Last edited:
We'll probably look at Ingram in 2011. ^_^

Probably??? ;)

The RBBC approach will work well for this season. If need be, a rookie can be plugged in for 2011.

This draft deserves an A for the Pats draft strategy and overall management. A hot topic preceding this draft was the consensus opinion on wishing we had a third-rounder. Well....Belichick proceeded to give us all a workshop on that topic, and to top it off -- acquired another second-rounder for 2011. He was a master at work.

The selections addressed most needs (from a fans perspective), while also upgrading the talent on offense, defense, and ST.

I wasn't really hoping for a RB, I'm happy with what we have for one more season.
I was hoping for a C earlier than when one was finally taken, one that could at least compete with Koppen for starter.
Overall I'm pretty happy, plus we set ourselves up really nicely for next season.

No one picked Blount...would love to see the Pats sign him as a FA...no risk/high reward.

too late. SF signed him. He had some character issues though as he decked a kid during a game earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes