PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No question where decker goes now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad he cannot separate.

And yes, Thomas' wonderlic score is HUGE. Shows he can learn a new system.

No it shows he can answer questions on the wonderlic.

Exactly. I can't imagine people moving anybody, let alone potential first-round talents, off their draft board because of a Wonderlic score. Dan Marino scored a 13. I think Asante Samuel was in the 10-13 range. You might as well take a player off your board because he's a lousy poker player.

I can't wait for the first player (if it hasn't happened yet) to refuse to take the Wonderlic. If a northbound train leaves New Orleans at noon, and a southbound train leaves Memphis at 2:00, where they meet has less than no bearing whether a guy is a football player or not.

Lisfranc is a scarry word. It'll be interesting to see where both Decker and Thomas go given their injuries. Both were second round talent prior. I'd use a fourth or fifth rounder if they're still there.

Absolutely scary! And possibly career ending.

"Arthritis and problems with foot alignment are very likely to develop. In most cases, arthritis develops several months or longer following a Lisfranc injury, requiring additional treatment."

Lisfranc Injuries

And we can ignore 40 times for wide recivers. After all, what was Jerry Rice's 40 time?

The Wonderlic is one test of potential nfl players, among many. Some teams consider it important for various positions. And no, I wouldn't expect that the patriots would consider an English-speaking quarterback with a Wonderlic of 13. In any case, it would be a negative.

The point after all is that Marino was an exception.
=====

You can choose to believe that intelligence is as important as poker playing. Some general managers and coaches disagree. I believe that Belichick is one of them.

Consider that Belichick has an offense that requires wide receivers to read the defenses of opponents and make different cuts and patterns based on the immediate evaluation of the defense. Other schemes (e.g. Indy) don't require this skill as much. Sure, it is possible for someone with a Wonderlic of 11 to ahve such skills. However, with other things being equal on other factors (college performance and combine tests and pro-day drills), the Wonderlic will be the deciding factor. Given that there are many players available at every position, some coaches will simply not draft a wide receiver (or a running back) with a Wonderlic of under 15. Again, you can consider that unreasonable. I don't.

The BOTTOM LINE is that no one is drafted as an nfl player because they have a high Wonderlic. However, some are excluded because of a low one, and some are moved higher because of a high test score.

Exactly. I can't imagine people moving anybody, let alone potential first-round talents, off their draft board because of a Wonderlic score. Dan Marino scored a 13. I think Asante Samuel was in the 10-13 range. You might as well take a player off your board because he's a lousy poker player.

I can't wait for the first player (if it hasn't happened yet) to refuse to take the Wonderlic. If a northbound train leaves New Orleans at noon, and a southbound train leaves Memphis at 2:00, where they meet has less than no bearing whether a guy is a football player or not.

You can choose to believe that intelligence is as important as poker playing. Some general managers and coaches disagree. I believe that Belichick is one of them. No, I'm saying that the Wonderlic test isn't an accurate test of intelligence. I know I'm not alone in thinking that

Consider that Belichick has an offense that requires wide receivers to read the defenses of opponents and make different cuts and patterns based on the immediate evaluation of the defense. Other schemes (e.g. Indy) don't require this skill as much. Sure, it is possible for someone with a Wonderlic of 11 to ahve such skills. You provided the correct reasoning. Reading a defense, or any other football skill, is not a manifestation of intelligence any more than operating a crane is. It's a skill. You don't need to be particularly intelligent to have an aptitude performing a skill, especially one that the player practices over and over again every day.

The BOTTOM LINE is that no one is drafted as an nfl player because they have a high Wonderlic. However, some are excluded because of a low one, and some are moved higher because of a high test score.

And I would say the Bottom Line is whether a player puts forth the effort to take the Wonderlic. I'd probably rather draft the player who prepped for it and got a 17 than one who didn't and got a 25.

Last edited:
I'll take Vince Young with his tiny wonderlic over Decker. Didn't some Harvard guy have the top Wonderlic last year but I sort of doubt he did much in the NFL.

And what exactly would you do with Vince Young (other than baby-sit him).

And we can ignore 40 times for wide recivers. After all, what was Jerry Rice's 40 time?

The Wonderlic is one test of potential nfl players, among many. Some teams consider it important for various positions. And no, I wouldn't expect that the patriots would consider an English-speaking quarterback with a Wonderlic of 13. In any case, it would be a negative.

=====

You can choose to believe that intelligence is as important as poker playing. Some general managers and coaches disagree. I believe that Belichick is one of them.

Consider that Belichick has an offense that requires wide receivers to read the defenses of opponents and make different cuts and patterns based on the immediate evaluation of the defense. Other schemes (e.g. Indy) don't require this skill as much. Sure, it is possible for someone with a Wonderlic of 11 to ahve such skills. However, with other things being equal on other factors (college performance and combine tests and pro-day drills), the Wonderlic will be the deciding factor. Given that there are many players available at every position, some coaches will simply not draft a wide receiver (or a running back) with a Wonderlic of under 15. Again, you can consider that unreasonable. I don't.

Once again..a voice of reason in forest of doubters.

Sorry I am going to have to call bull****. You are giving the Patriots offense too much credit and selling the others short. If anything the Patriots offense is simplistic next to Indy, the Saints or other top offenses. The past two years it has revolved around Welker running an option route and Moss going deep, not that hard to figure out but damn hard to stop.

Good players have a thing called 'football smarts' or instincts that cannot be taught from a book or from a quiz. You show me a good football player with a high IQ and I will show you ten who can barely read.

Last edited:
Sorry I am going to have to call bull****. You are giving the Patriots offense too much credit and selling the others short. If anything the Patriots offense is simplistic next to Indy, the Saints or other top offenses. The past two years it has revolved around Welker running an option route and Moss going deep, not that hard to figure out but damn hard to stop.

Good players have a thing called 'football smarts' or instincts that cannot be taught from a book or from a quiz. You show me a good football player with a high IQ and I will show you ten who can barely read.

Apparently Edgerrin James was like that, beyond dumb in general but was a freak genius when talking football.

I'm with you on this. I think it's too easy to make the leap from "X stat is overrated" to "X stat is irrelevant." A strong Wonderlic score is a good sign on an otherwise promising player, though important for some positions than others. (I'd call WR medium in that regard.)

I would only temper the enthusiasm somewhat by mentioning that Ben Watson also scored a 40+ on the Wonderlic. The Patriots did not bother to resign him.

too bad you dont catch passes with your brain. Watson, unfortunately had feet for hands so, he had to go.

i wish him luck though and i will NEVER forget the playoff game in Denver when he basically ran 100 yards to tackle that dude. i was at the game and it was an awesome effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back