PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No PUP List for Welker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sports doctors who say 1 year recovery also say year two before RB and WR regain full flexibility.

That's a fact. I'm not sure if that applies two single tears, though.

It also doesn't apply to O Linemen or other plodders.

that has not so much to do witht he knee but with the surrounding muscle e.g hamstring and quad e.t.c i have experienced the same thing this year where i came back to play rugby about 12 months tearing my acl and mcl and have had issues not to do with the knee itself but caused by the fact the surrounding muscles aren't as strong so you put more pressure than normal on the knee.

It is that muscle growth that takes the 7months - 2 years to feel 100% depending on the players rehab intensity

If you want to be taken seriously you won't make definitive statements like "he will get re-injured". That's ridiculous. If you must, say that it puts him at a higher chance to be re-injured.

I dislike the milquetoast squishy statements that are so in vogue lately. You guys would have me re-word it thus:

"All things being equal, although, of course, they never are, there is a higher probability, depending on various factors, some more important than other, that must be weighed in accordance to their relative merit, relevance, and applicability, that Welker could possibly, depending on his activity, usage, and route tree, re-injure his knee or possibly other joint if he was brought back sooner than advisable."​

How's that sound? Am I making too bold a statement?

Do you guys want everyone to parrot the same mantra? Can't you allow a someone to express the other side? Screw it; he will get injured if does not go on PUP. I may be wrong but at least I am saying something. Maybe he will get injured in training camp for all I know but the Patriots are taking a huge risk. Even if he is not seriously injured, he could end up limping around like Mayo.

Last edited:
I dislike the milquetoast squishy statements that are so in vogue lately. You guys would have me re-word it thus:

"All things being equal, although, of course, they never are, there is a higher probability, depending on various factors, some more important than other, that must be weighed in accordance to their relative merit, relevance, and applicability, that Welker could possibly, depending on his activity, usage, and route tree, re-injure his knee or possibly other joint if he was brought back sooner than advisable."​

How's that sound? Am I making too bold a statement?

Screw it; he will get injured if does not go on PUP. I may be wrong but at least I am saying something. Maybe he will get injured in training camp for all I know but the Patriots are taking a huge risk. Even if he is not seriously injured, he could end up limping around like Mayo.
Avoid being squishy all you want, you're just being stupid for making a statement of fact when you can't possibly know, one way or the other. I wouldn't expect anything different from you, you are what you are, but that statement is just dumb and ignorant even if it ends up happening.

Avoid being squishy all you want, you're just being stupid for making a statement of fact when you can't possibly know, one way or the other. I wouldn't expect anything different from you, you are what you are, but that statement is just dumb and ignorant even if it ends up happening.

Your "week 1" prediction is looking pretty good right now. It's too early for attaboys, but you deserve at least the hat tip at this point, for how good your prediction is looking.

Your "week 1" prediction is looking pretty good right now. It's too early for attaboys, but you deserve at least the hat tip at this point, for how good your prediction is looking.
As I've said before, it was less a prediction and more a statement that it was very possible. Braylon Edwards' timeline said so, as did Carson Palmer's. They showed it could be done barring setbacks - admittedly with different playing styles/positions but those two were also several years ago too, ACL rehab knowledge has improved since then.

Sounds like great news ...

I'm okay with it if Welker is not risking his career.

Love him as a player and he has the heart of a lion but is he really okay to play?

The team will use him when he is ready to play. If he gets injured again, so be it. The way to avoid that is for Welker not to play at all this season.
It isn't so black and white as that. It isn't all or nothing. We are talking percentages of the chance of re-injuring.

By the time TC starts, it will have been five months I think since his operation. Would you agree that the chance of re-injuring that knee by playing 22 games (preseason + 16 games + playoffs) on five months recuperation is greater than playing 9 games after eight months recuperation?

So we have yet another poster that think that patriot coaches are bunch of idiots.
I have the highest respect for BB. I do not think he is an idiot. I thikn he is the greatest coach in the history of the NFL. I think he improved the Cleveland team and set the stage for the Ravens early success.

I have yet to complain about any draft pick he has made. The ones that didn't work out, like Chad Jackson, I give BB a pass on because it was the right move that didn't work out. But the decision was solid. Same with FA signings. Thomas turned out bad, but the decision with the data at the time was solid.

So I am not saying the Pats coaches are a bunch of idiots when I say I do not think Welker should start the season as is being reported. Not that I am in the category as FranticFred, but I think it is better for Welker not to start practicing and playing from the get-go.

He may be ready to play, but will the season take its toll? I want Welker in peak condition for the PLAYOFFS. What good is it to storm through the early games and lose one of the post season lose-and-go-home games?

If he doesn't practice in August or play in September and October, then two things occur:
1. his knee will get THREE more months to strengthen and stabilize, and the chance of injury late in the season is reduced.
2. He will be stronger and fresher in the playoffs.
3. (minor reason) Without Welker, Tate, Price and Hernadez get valuable reps in the early season (which is definitely slower paced than mid-season, late-season or plaoffs) that will be invaluable later in the season when things get hot.

Would you agree that Welker is more likely to be effective IN THE PLAYOFFS if he rests more in TC/early games and starts week 7 than he would by playing all 16 games + preseason?

I won't fuss if Welker starts (it isn't definite you know. BB hasn't said so. CBS radio did). I will trust that BB made the right decision using more and better information than I have. But I would much much rather that Welker not be in uniform during tc and go on pup.

Last edited:

Which prediction was that?

That the Patriots should consider drafting a CB as their first pick? You guys killed me on that before the draft.

That the turf at Gillette was causing injuries? I got killed on that. The Patriot so disagreed with me that they replaced the turf.

That Hernandez would be a star at least for the first part of the season. Hope this one works out.

At least I have the cajones to make predictions. Something you squishy guys are afraid to do but very willing to criticize me on.

Granted my prediction are not delivered with a lot of diplomacy....

The big question is why am I on the computer. To heck with it; I am going to take my son out to chase some striped bass.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that he won't start the season on PUP, but not surprised that he will be ready for the start of the season. Most medical journals I read that studied ACL reconstructions on NFL WRs said that returning 7 months at near 100% is not outside the realm of possibility.

Are you expecting me to believe you actually read medical journals? The terminology is so technical that nobody except a doctor or at the very least, a grad med doing their residency, would be able to make heads or tails of it.

Welker will be ready to destroy the jets in week 2! :rocker::rocker:

I predicted he would start game one, and stated that I would be surprised if he started on PUP. I also said that he would get off to a slow, managed start (e.g. eased back in). Anyone expecting otherwise will be disappointed.

I believe he will see limited reps for at least the first game or the first few games.

I predicted he would start game one, and stated that I would be surprised if he started on PUP.
When did you say that ? You laughed at me for suggesting it, especially after word came out that Welker was also rehabbing his shoulder. I recall being told I know nothing.

Here we go. You seem to have predicted Welker would start Week 1 - in 2011 :

Patspsycho said:
At any rate this is not good news. How do you rehab an ACL tear with your arm in a sling? I wouldn't be surprised if he is out for the entire season.

Good times, baby, good times.

Read the whole thread and then tell us how you predicted he's be back week one.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...d/10/327852-welker-has-torn-rotator-cuff.html

Last edited:
Read the whole thread and then tell us how you predicted he's be back week one.

I revised my original judgement after seeing the video of Welker. Please note the date on that thread (June). I think you made your prediction before mine.

See here:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...er-nesn-footage-him-going-through-drills.html

I was going to temper my expectations because typically, recovery takes two years, the first being physical, and the second being mental/psychological.

But now everything is out the window. I honestly will be surprised if he doesn't start game one.

I revised my original judgement after seeing the video of Welker. Please note the date on that thread (June). I think you made your prediction before mine.
That's fine, anyone has the right to change their mind; it doesn't change what you said back in March, though, when you not only laughed at the idea but you were just a little condescending to those who dared think differently. Yes you revised your original judgment but that doesn't change the fact that you were 100% wrong before. But, sure, congratulations on your successful prediction :rolleyes:

That's fine, anyone has the right to change their mind; it doesn't change what you said back in March, though, when you not only laughed at the idea but you were just a little condescending to those who dared think differently. Yes you revised your original judgment but that doesn't change the fact that you were 100% wrong before. But, sure, congratulations on your successful prediction :rolleyes:

I revised my opinion after seeing something concrete, that is all there is to it. If I came across as condescending, then I apologize. I shouldn't do that.

I revised my opinion after seeing something concrete, that is all there is to it. If I came across as condescending, then I apologize. I shouldn't do that.
Well I'm glad we were both right eventually. Now we just have to hope Holt and the new TE can help stop Welker having to catch 10 passes a game.

All injuries are different, recoveries, blah blah blah. But jeez, this guy really just sets an amazing standard. It feels right now, at least, like he'll be back, and be himself, next season. Wow.

All injuries are different, recoveries, blah blah blah. But jeez, this guy really just sets an amazing standard. It feels right now, at least, like he'll be back, and be himself, next season. Wow.

Heff must have some great work out equipment at the Playboy mansion.

It is possible to get back faster than the medical expectations. There was an Australian Rules Football player in the 1990's by the name of Tony Liberatore (5'3, 170lbs) who made a full recovery from an ACL tear/reconstruction in 16 weeks. Anthony Koutoufides (6'3, 271lbs) made a full recovery in 10 months time. Koutoufides was one of the most dominant players to ever grace the field. Unfortunately he was never the same and was hobbled by tendonitis for the remainder of his career.

Recently Nick Malceski (6'2, 194lbs) and David Rodan (5'6, 185lbs) made 12 week recoveries with the LARS procedure to reconstruct their ACL's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back