PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Pressure Whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know the reffing was horrible and there were a bunch of missed holding penalties (and some they did call), so maybe these numbers aren't really reflective of what the Pats did. The game is a bit of a blurry memory to me so I'll have to rewatch it for sure. But here are the gruesome numbers in terms of QB pressure:

Baltimore pressuring NE:
- 2 sacks
- 7 tackles for loss
- 6 QB hits

NE pressuring Baltimore:
- 0 sacks
- 1 tackle for loss
- 0 QB hits

When you don't ever even touch the quarterback, their QB is going to have a good day. Result: 28-39 (71.8%), 382 yds, 3 td, just 1 int

I know we can be frustrated with the secondary, but when the front 4/7 are getting no pressure whatsoever, it leaves the DBs hanging out to dry.

Hard to get pressure when refs ignore blatant holding by the Raven O. Watch the last drive again and there's a classic shot which they re-played of Oher with his arm wrapped around Niko's neck with elbow at the adams apple. Jones was held all night. Pathetic non-call representative of the game.

I know the reffing was horrible and there were a bunch of missed holding penalties (and some they did call), so maybe these numbers aren't really reflective of what the Pats did. The game is a bit of a blurry memory to me so I'll have to rewatch it for sure. But here are the gruesome numbers in terms of QB pressure:

Baltimore pressuring NE:
- 2 sacks
- 7 tackles for loss
- 6 QB hits

NE pressuring Baltimore:
- 0 sacks
- 1 tackle for loss
- 0 QB hits

When you don't ever even touch the quarterback, their QB is going to have a good day. Result: 28-39 (71.8%), 382 yds, 3 td, just 1 int

I know we can be frustrated with the secondary, but when the front 4/7 are getting no pressure whatsoever, it leaves the DBs hanging out to dry.

This has been the Patriots MO for quite awhile. They refuse to get aggressive and blitz. They leave their DB's hanging out to dry.
Really wish they'd hire a defensive guru to work with this unit rather than the usual "in-house hire" who started as a water boy and worked his way up.
There is nothing about the defensive coaching on this team that is impressive. Nothing!!!

This has been the Patriots MO for quite awhile. They refuse to get aggressive and blitz. They leave their DB's hanging out to dry.
Really wish they'd hire a defensive guru to work with this unit rather than the usual "in-house hire" who started as a water boy and worked his way up.
There is nothing about the defensive coaching on this team that is impressive. Nothing!!!
And hasn't been for some time now.

Greetings,
I am not going to disagree that the pressure should be better, but at the same time it makes it a lot harder to do when the Ravens O-Line(specifically blindside) has their hands around your neck all night.

Celticboy04

Didn't see the game yet (DVR'd it), but I'm sure the Pats held as well, you still have to get the pressure (the Ravens did). Why not blitz ? How many sacks do the Pats have in 3 games ? 2 ? It's not gonna cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see the game yet (DVR'd it), but I'm sure the Pats held as well, you still have to get the pressure (the Ravens did). Why not blitz ? How many sacks do the Pats have in 3 games ? 2 ? It's not gonna cut it.

There's ticky-tack "holding", and then there's #%@#% HOLDING.

Hard to get pressure when refs ignore blatant holding by the Raven O. Watch the last drive again and there's a classic shot which they re-played of Oher with his arm wrapped around Niko's neck with elbow at the adams apple. Jones was held all night. Pathetic non-call representative of the game.

I hope that the next time the NFL and NFLRA meet that all the bad calls from last night are shown to them...

Ya know, you guys had this guy last year, Mark Anderson? Everybody said he was terrible against the run, but from what I hear he's playing pretty well in Buffalo, heck, from what I hear, they only gave up 33 yards to Trent Richardson yesterday, oh and he beat Joe Thomas like a red headed stepchild. But no, it was a solid move to not attempt to re-sign your team's best pass rusher.

In other words, Thank you Mr. Kraft!

There's ticky-tack "holding", and then there's #%@#% HOLDING.

The Ravens committed stuff that would normally get you warned and called if you continued it on almost every snap, and when that failed them they committed no brainer infractions close to 10 times. It's very difficult to accurately judge the front seven's performance when they appeared to be dominating the Ravens on most snaps, but couldn't get off their blocks due to holds that fall outside of the normal "you can call holding on every snap" stuff.

There is clear video footage of the Ravens' Tackles wrestling Ninkovich and Jones to the ground for the entirety of the game. Most, if not all instances were not called.

Normally, it wouldn't bother me, however they weren't holding penalties, they were muggings.

It was def an odd cover scheme that the Pats were calling. They were always in cover 2 till the Ravens got to their 50. Then it was either a cover 3 or a high single Safety in cover 1.

I rarely saw blitzes. Just run blitzes. Quite odd scheme they ran compared to the AFCC where they blitzed the Seagull (Flacco) few times.

Oher held Jones far too often. 0 flags on him.

This. Jones was beating Oher off the edge all night and was getting held every time. I know any non-pats fan will say, "lol blaming your lack of a pass rush on the refs!" but I've truly never seen a pass rush get neutralized by ignored holding penalties like what happened last night. Those non-calls hurt the Patriots as much as anything else the refs did.

I hate prevent defense

Last Drive 2007 Superbowl

Playing not to lose!!!

ARGGGHGGGHHHGGHHHHHGGGGHHGGGHHHGHGGGH

This. Jones was beating Oher off the edge all night and was getting held every time. I know any non-pats fan will say, "lol blaming your lack of a pass rush on the refs!" but I've truly never seen a pass rush get neutralized by ignored holding penalties like what happened last night. Those non-calls hurt the Patriots as much as anything else the refs did.

I have. The Bills week 1 game against the Jets was just as bad if not worse, but when Mario Williams says something about it, the media blasts him.

It's very difficult to accurately judge the front seven's performance when they appeared to be dominating the Ravens on most snaps

Jones and Ninko looked they got held up without calls a handful of times, but I must have missed the "domination" by our front 7 that you are referring to.

Beacuse the N.E. Patriots have quite a few overrated players on that Defense...namely.

1) Patrick Chung = Always late to the play Safety..."See Manningham's catch in SB most average Safeties make that play, says alot about Chung.:rolleyes:

2) Mayo = He must be having nightmares of Ravens FB Vonte Leech who stoned him and everyplay but that 4th down play last night. Mayo for what he makes and how he is heralded plays very average to me. He not even a shell of Patrick Willis or A.J. Hawk.

3) McCourty he's not even overrated he just flat out bad...i have seen CB like him come and go.

That's just a few of our problems.:rolleyes:

Jones and Ninko looked they got held up without calls a handful of times, but I must have missed the "domination" by our front 7 that you are referring to.

They were containing the QB in the pocket and collapsing it quickly. I'm guessing that that was the general game plan up front. The problem was that they couldn't get off their blocks to really pressure Flacco. To me the majority of that problem appeared to be due to holds. There's only so much you can do when your blocker is dragging you down by the neck/jersey from behind. Maybe dominated is too strong a word, but it appeared to me that the Pats' DL was getting the better of most of their battles.

Love people blaming the refs....

The pass rush has been suspect again this season and we've become dependent on a rookie with 3 games experience, it isn't the refs not calling holding that's responsible for our lack of QB pressure

If Flacco or any decent QB has all day to throw it wont be long until they torch any secondary.

Even Kolb had all day last week and we weren't blaming the refs then....

I totally agree. Yet, our front seven still should've gotten more pressure on Flacco. It was a glaring problem all night long that frustrated and surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes