PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Player Trades this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsully

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On the CBS pregame show this past Sunday, Charley Casserly reported the draft will continue as planned in April. Trading draft picks for draft picks will be allow but unless the two sides don't come to an agreement regarding the CBA PLAYER for PLAYER or PLAYERS for DRAFT PICKS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED...

I see a lot of talk about trading this guy and that guy.. Doens't look like its going to happen..

On the CBS pregame show this past Sunday, Charley Casserly reported the draft will continue as planned in April. Trading draft picks for draft picks will be allow but unless the two sides don't come to an agreement regarding the CBA PLAYER for PLAYER or PLAYERS for DRAFT PICKS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED...

I see a lot of talk about trading this guy and that guy.. Doens't look like its going to happen..

I think you'll see a lot of movement towards a new deal once the regular season is over, and a frenzy of activity after the Super Bowl.

In this economy, I don't think either side wants to be seen in a "millionaires v. billionaires" argument; it won't fly very well.

Let's just hope a new cba gets done. Looks like nba is headed to a lockout so it will be all hockey next year. Oh well bruins are getting better.

There will be football in 2011. Not even worried about it. The only thing that concerns me is that not many juniors come out. Their college coaches are giving them the doom and gloom speech along with the dear old state speech. We want as many to come out as possible.

For sh*ts and grins. I'll even give you three trades.

1. Carson Palmer to SF - Niners have too much talent to play a rookie qb. For a 1st+mid-round

2. Kevin Kolb to Minny - See above. 1st+mid round

3. Donovan McNabb to Arizona - For nothing. Cards then draft Cam Newton to groom to replace him. Should appease vets and give fans hope for the future.

Carson Palmer is worth like a 4th right now.

And remember, Casserly is like a meteorologist. He's probably wrong ;)

Carson Palmer is awful. Noooo way do the Bengals get a first for him.

A new CBA needs to be in place before the draft declaration date or a whole lot of juniors who would normally be in the draft will opt to stay. Saban is advising his players about that already, and others will be too. This could end up being a very shallow draft. I guess in a relative sense won't be too bad for the Patriots, having 3 top 33 picks, but after round 4 you might be drafting UDFA talent at least relative to last year.

Saban: Saban warns his underclassmen about leaving for NFL early | CollegeFootballTalk

Alabama running back Mark Ingram, wide receiver Julio Jones, and defensive stars Marcell Dareus, Mark Barron and Dont’a Hightower are among the Crimson Tide standouts considered to be NFL-ready, and Jones could be a first-round draft pick. Yet, Saban told the media he is cautioning his players about entering the league a year early... under normal circumstances, has said that he advises projected-first round athletes to duck out a year or more early.

I have a weird feeling that the new agreement will be in place by mid February.

In this economy, I don't think either side wants to be seen in a "millionaires v. billionaires" argument; it won't fly very well.

Great way to put it!

A new CBA needs to be in place before the draft declaration date or a whole lot of juniors who would normally be in the draft will opt to stay. Saban is advising his players about that already, and others will be too. This could end up being a very shallow draft. I guess in a relative sense won't be too bad for the Patriots, having 3 top 33 picks, but after round 4 you might be drafting UDFA talent at least relative to last year.

Saban: Saban warns his underclassmen about leaving for NFL early | CollegeFootballTalk

Add in that a lot of Juniors that would have otherwise stayed in school decided to declare early last year it will be a little shallow even if the CBA gets into place before draft declaration date. If all the jrs stay away it will be extremely shallow.

If I was a jr. no way would I enter the draft this year without a CBA.

Carson Palmer is awful. Noooo way do the Bengals get a first for him.

You can't accurately rate a qb who must depend on the T.Ocho Show to be in the right spot at the right time. He's been playing poorly. But, you have to admit there are extenuating circumstances. We got the 34th pick for Matt Cassel. Just to frame the value of a qb.

You can't accurately rate a qb who must depend on the T.Ocho Show to be in the right spot at the right time. He's been playing poorly. But, you have to admit there are extenuating circumstances. We got the 34th pick for Matt Cassel. Just to frame the value of a qb.

If Carson Palmer nets anything close to a 1st, all parties involved need to be put under investigation.

They wouldn't even get the 4th someone mentioned earlier for Palmer. He is done, and it is well known around the league. More like a 6th round pick.

Add in that a lot of Juniors that would have otherwise stayed in school decided to declare early last year it will be a little shallow even if the CBA gets into place before draft declaration date. If all the jrs stay away it will be extremely shallow.

If I was a jr. no way would I enter the draft this year without a CBA.

On the flipside, if they stay, there'll almost certainly be a salary cap in 2012 (they would have MAJOR problems if they tried to institute one in 2011 AFTER the deadline to declare).

(they would have MAJOR problems if they tried to institute one in 2011 AFTER the deadline to declare).

I don't see any problem with instituting one between the date to declare and draft date. (assuming the CBA is ratified in that window)

And if there would be a problem with instituting one after the draft would only be an issue if the union allows drafted unsigned players to vote on union matters (I don't know if they do or don't)

The players union is weak. Concessions are ready to be played in regards to the 18 game schedule. I'd be surprised if there was a lockout. The argument on the part of ownership, is rookie salaries. I can't see veteran players getting upset about that.

Do not see a labor issue, both sides are riding an economic wave in a very bad time.. f..ing with the product will be counterproductive for both sides..

There is a lot of meaningless rhetoric thrown around, but that is just idle banter..

This will get resolved and the NFL will not miss a beat.. mo money, mo money, mo money...

The players union is weak. Concessions are ready to be played in regards to the 18 game schedule. I'd be surprised if there was a lockout. The argument on the part of ownership, is rookie salaries. I can't see veteran players getting upset about that.

Here is the compromises I predict in my crystal ball.....

Owners get:
1. Rookie wage scale/cap
2. 18 games (maybe)

Players get:
1. change in accounting rules that includes more of luxury box revenue etc. [12 seconds after contract is signed owners find a way around it]
2. Less OTAs, minicamps, off season workouts that are called optional but really aren't.
3. end of franchise tag (maybe)
4. better heath benefits for retired/ex players.
5. RFA tenders fully guaranteed. (So no more pulling the BS the Jets pulled with Kellen Clemens, not that the Jets are the only one, but that example is one I can remember)
6. Commish loses some power to issues fines at whim.

Here is the compromises I predict in my crystal ball.....

Owners get:
1. Rookie wage scale/cap
2. 18 games (maybe)

Players get:
1. change in accounting rules that includes more of luxury box revenue etc. [12 seconds after contract is signed owners find a way around it]
2. Less OTAs, minicamps, off season workouts that are called optional but really aren't.
3. end of franchise tag (maybe)
4. better heath benefits for retired/ex players.
5. RFA tenders fully guaranteed. (So no more pulling the BS the Jets pulled with Kellen Clemens, not that the Jets are the only one, but that example is one I can remember)
6. Commish loses some power to issues fines at whim.

From your keyboard to god's ears..

Not sure about the Commish giving away any power.. once you get it, tough to take it away..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes