Welcome to PatsFans.com

No More Bongs for Jesus Banners according ot the SCOTUS......

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

Take it or leave it, the SCOTUS ruled against the kid who had the banner during the last Olympic Torch Run.. IMO this will create a whole bunch of problems and maybe some kids will get off their butts and see what direction this country is heading in...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19414576/

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court tightened limits on student speech Monday, ruling against a high school student and his 14-foot-long "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" banner.

Schools may prohibit student expression that can be interpreted as advocating drug use, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court in a 5-4 ruling.

Joseph Frederick unfurled his homemade sign on a winter morning in 2002, as the Olympic torch made its way through Juneau, Alaska, en route to the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Frederick said the banner was a nonsensical message that he first saw on a snowboard. He intended the banner to proclaim his right to say anything at all.

His principal, Deborah Morse, said the phrase was a pro-drug message that had no place at a school-sanctioned event. Frederick denied that he was advocating for drug use.

Students in public schools don't have the same rights as adults, but neither do they leave their constitutional protections at the schoolhouse gate, as the court said in a landmark speech-rights ruling from Vietnam era.

The court has limited what students can do in subsequent cases, saying they may not be disruptive or lewd or interfere with a school's basic educational mission.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Try flying a flag that says, "No More Bong Hits For Allah" and see what happens, the NY Times will go Insane with their "Racist Crap" the kids that fly the flag will have "A Contract" taken out on them by the Enraged Muslims.

Drugs Are Everywhere America Loves Their Drugs Legalize Drugs And Get Rid Of The Scummy Gang Banging Drug Dealer.
    :bricks:
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I only read the portion in this thread, and I'll read the article later, but on the surface, what is wrong with their ruling? It was a school sponsored event, and therefore he had to obey the rules.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And all rules are equally valid and enforcable?
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

His principal, Deborah Morse, said the phrase was a pro-drug message that had no place at a school-sanctioned event. Frederick denied that he was advocating for drug use.

Limited student rights
    Students in public schools don't have the same rights as adults, but neither do they leave their constitutional protections at the schoolhouse gate, as the court said in a landmark speech-rights ruling from Vietnam era.

The court has limited what students can do in subsequent cases, saying they may not be disruptive or lewd or interfere with a school's basic educational mission.

Joseph Frederick, who has been teaching and studying in China, pleaded guilty in 2004 to a misdemeanor charge of selling marijuana at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, according to court records.

To me, the ruling is justified. People cannot use the Constitution as a piece of toilet paper in the hopes of bypassing rules like the one the school had in place. Clearly, we all want our rights protected, but in this case, it was a school sponsored event, and therefore he had to abide by the rules. Had he done this on his own time at the Boston Marathon per say, then I would side with him, but he didn't. School time, school dime. Also, this guy seems to be disingenuous when he claimed it wasn't about drugs since he was picked up for selling pot a couple of years later. Obviously that was after the fact of the HS incident, but somewhat indicative of where the truth lay.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

When I was in high school I used to wear a t-shirt with a big potleaf on the front that said "My Mind, My Choice", in the hopes of baiting a teacher into telling me to turn it inside out so I could cause an incident (the message on my shirt was more in-line with a political message - pro-legalization - rather than encouraging drug-use). Fortunately/unfortunately every teacher that said something to me agreed with the message and encouraged me to protest against authority when I disagreed. Such were the downfalls of going to a liberal school, but either way I did learn to stand up for my rights.
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

I'm surprised the kid didn't pull his gun out and shoot the principal, that damn principal was violating his civil rights, who the "heck" do these principals think they are, the next thing they will be doing is stopping these kids from having Oral Sex on their lunch hour.

LETS HAVE A MIILION KID MARCH ON WASHINGTON
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I love how people go out looking to incite trouble, and then say they were just expressing themselves freely. So you were hoping to incite a problem, that's something to be proud of. Standing up for your rights is one thing, disobeying authority, or the rule of law is another. Part of a schools use is teaching discipline. Unfortunately, that's been seriously lacking in our society for quite some time.

Anyhow, back to reality. A school has rules and when you're on the schools time, you are on the schools dime. I know every punk likes to be a rebel, and reject authority, but rules are there for a reason. If you don;t like them, go to another school, or don't go at all. Had the kid in question here posted a sign that said I love the Celtics, there wouldn't be an issue. Better yet, had he not been at a school sponsored event, then he wouldn't have a problem with the banner in question. The kid got his day in court, and he lost. I agree with the courts ruling.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My rights are mine, whether I choose to provoke the situation or not. Obviously that was in my teen years, I don't go looking to start trouble now, but if I have the right to do something I can do it for any reason, including as an act of disobedience.

Any time now...

That's nonsense. This kid had his day in court and lost, but schools have had to change their rules hundreds of times when courts determined that those rules aren't compatible with the constitution.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Of course your rights are your's, but when you go to school, you have to follow the rules. Obviously some schools may have ridiculous rules that people don't agree with, and that is why we go to court. This kid got his day, and he lost. I agree with the court. I really dislike it when people abuse the constitution for the right to be ignorant and stupid. Sorry, but this kid was at a school event, end of story.

BTW, I think I've stated in here that people have the right to do whatever it is they desire, so long as they realize that every action has a reaction, or that every cause has an effect. If you want to wear a smoke pot shirt, or walk around in your underwear, feel free, but people will respond to it. Some indifferently, some in some other way. What irks me is people who go around looking for trouble. What for? If no one is bothering you, why bother them? Why instigate something? Be it a T-shirt, a bar fight, road rage, the basic principles apply. I've never looked to instigate anything. Personally, I wish more people were that way, but hey, it's a free country right? :D
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yes, what you said is of course right. Looking for trouble doesn't do you or trouble any good. Before high school even, I used to get into tons of fights. Somebody said something I didn't like? I'd pop em. Luckily I grew up!
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

That's what being young is all about, growing up. ;)
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Not surprisingly I agree with RW. The kids' freedom of speech was not abridged, he just isn't allowed to wear it on school grounds/school sanctioned event. Can he go to a park or shopping mall after school or on weekends and wear/say what he wants ? Yes - there's his free speech.

For some reason people think the first amendment allows anyone to say anything at any time. It doesn't. People need to grow up, get a clue, stop feeling like everyone is out to get them, use their brain and stop thinking things like the first amendment are absolute in all cases.

Go tell your boss to f*ck off tomorrow every hour on the hour and see how far the first amendment gets you.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  14. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Jesus Passed The Bong To Aqua Boy,I Know I've Read His Posts On The Dolfoons. :singing: :D ;)
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

Today I am reading that the initial event occurred across the street from the high school, not even on school property.. if the reports are true could prove interesting in the long run...what are the limits of this, could this student have done this 4 blocks away and the principal finds out about it and then suspends him?? Not being on school property casts the whole thing in a different light.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=3306594

The case stemmed from an incident in January 2002 in which a crowd of students, townspeople and teachers gathered on a public street in Alaska across from a high school to watch the Olympic torch relay pass in front of them as part of a parade in support of the upcoming Winter Olympic Games.

Student Joseph Frederick wanted to make a statement about his First Amendment rights in front of the television crews covering the event. As the crowd thickened, he unfurled a banner with the message "Bong Hits 4 Jesus."

Frederick had been bothered in his senior year by the lack of attention to the issue of freedom of speech in the United States, and at his school in particular. In briefs, Frederick argued that he was only trying to assert his rights and that the message was not an attempt to "spread any idea."

His school principal, Deborah Morse, was not amused. She marched across the street and seized the banner and later suspended Frederick, who had had previous disciplinary problems at school. She accused Frederick of violating the school's policy against displaying offensive material and advocating the use of illegal drugs.

Frederick, however, turned around and sued not only Morse but also his school board, saying that the school had violated his First Amendment rights. He argued that he was not on school property.

Roberts said that Frederick was indeed at a school sponsored event and his sign  while "cryptic"  could reasonably be defined by Morse as "promoting illegal drug use."
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Can you just imagine what kind of a society we would live in if we all went by the old hippie rule,
    "if it feels good do it", do the Far Left Liberals that are constantly blubbering about civil liberties and freedom of speech allow their children to run rampant in their homes, do they give their children the FREEDOM to do anything they want.

Whenever a Lefty a Nut or a Trouble Maker does or says something outrageous against Christianity, Conservatisim, Whitey, or America the Far Left Wing Liberal New Democrat will always defend it, screaming, "Civil Liberties, Freedom Of Speech", then their favorite, "The Constitution".

Now something is happening that they don't like, TALK RADIO, ah ha, the Far Left Liberal Democrat "@#*%" (I am not allowed to use dirty words) doesn't like the fact that millions and millions of people are listening to talk radio and talk radio has the audacity to say things that the Looney Liberal Democrats don't agree with.

Talk radio and the people listening to talk radio are exercising their Civil Liberties and their Freedom, the broadcasters are exercising their Freedom Of Speech.

Now Creepy Diannie Fienstien out in La-La land wants to pass a law that will CENSOR talk Radio, the Lefty's tried their own Talk Radio, it was a disaster, nobody wanted to listen to their hateful anti American left wing junk so instead of being Good Losers the American way, they now want Talk Radio eliminated and destroyed in this country.

Pant Suit Hillary is another one leading the charge to CENSOR the people because she knows that in the coming months all her dirty filthy laundry will be dragged out over the radio, Freedom Freedom, Pant Suit and the rest of her Left Wing Nazi Secret Police Force want Talk Radio SILENCED, CENSORED,
    stinking %$#@.
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

Is this somehow connected to this supreme court decision??
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is it ever? No matter what people are talking about, Harry just copy-and-pastes the same rant.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

I didn't copy/paste that it came right out of my @%$# head.

Let it sink in. isn't it true, the Liberal Democrats don't like Talk Radio so they want to destroy it, they don't have what it takes to play the game so they don't want the game played, NAZISM--COMMUNISM--LIBERALISM hand in hand they stroll together.
  20. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oh, you must have taken a wrong turn. This is the BONGHITS4JESUS thread, if you want the talk radio thread you should try clicking on it.