PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Mo Romo for Cowboys. QB Done for the season (injured back)

It's just my opinion. But some of the situations he's in, he shouldn't be in in the first place. That has to do with the coaching and play calling. Fact is romo can make every throw in the book. He's also around a bunch of clowns. Terell Owens, Roy Williams, dez Bryant. Jerry, Garrett, wade Phillips before them. I can't say that he wouldn't be throwing bone head interceptions but I know he he was coached better, they'd at least try to eliminate them.

As an example, just look at Alex smith. With the right coaching, it's easy to improve.

And you are not alone in your opinion as people love the guy. I have seen plenty of his fans, and he is not unlikable. It is tough to judge him completely because of Jerry Jones and the way he runs the Cowboys. With that said, he is a gunslinger like Favre, Cutler and Bledsoe. They are who they are, for better or worse. The best coaches can do is try to keep them out of plays in which they freelance. He could never be a Brady, Brees, Manning or Rodgers type of QB.

As for Alex Smith, I wouldn't offer him as an example of coaching up a QB. Harbaugh improved his performance by using him less, and then not at all. KC has used him more, and Smith is now 14 rating points higher than his first full year with the Niners in 2006 when the team went 7-9. His completion percentage is about the same. Not sure I'd call that much of an improvement with better personnel.

I wasn't referring any idea of cutting Romo, since they can't, which is the point. Jones has already hitched his wagon to the choking dog that is Tony Romo.

Agreed.
Since you are an acknowledged expert on dogs, could you explain what a "dog faker" is?

OT: No Mo Romo for Cowboys. QB Done for the season (injured back)

And you are not alone in your opinion as people love the guy. I have seen plenty of his fans, and he is not unlikable. It is tough to judge him completely because of Jerry Jones and the way he runs the Cowboys. With that said, he is a gunslinger like Favre, Cutler and Bledsoe. They are who they are, for better or worse. The best coaches can do is try to keep them out of plays in which they freelance. He could never be a Brady, Brees, Manning or Rodgers type of QB.

As for Alex Smith, I wouldn't offer him as an example of coaching up a QB. Harbaugh improved his performance by using him less, and then not at all. KC has used him more, and Smith is now 14 rating points higher than his first full year with the Niners in 2006 when the team went 7-9. His completion percentage is about the same. Not sure I'd call that much of an improvement with better personnel.

And that is good coaching. To bring out the best, eliminate the worst and put them in a situation to succeed.

And that is good coaching. To bring out the best, eliminate the worst and put them in a situation to succeed.

I view good coaching as improving the player in any situation, not labeling the player as a loose cannon and playing damage control. A situation/position to succeed usually means offering opportunities for a player to shine, not structuring a game plan to limit or restrain a player and his involvement in the offense. The latter means I have no alternatives and am looking for something . . . anything . . . better than what I have. Not really coaching the player. It's gameplanning.

OT: No Mo Romo for Cowboys. QB Done for the season (injured back)

I view good coaching as improving the player in any situation, not labeling the player as a loose cannon and playing damage control. A situation/position to succeed usually means offering opportunities for a player to shine, not structuring a game plan to limit or restrain a player and his involvement in the offense. The latter means I have no alternatives and am looking for something . . . anything . . . better than what I have. Not really coaching the player. It's gameplanning.

Blurred lines my friend. The reality is every team has a cap, there's only so few good QBs, they have to work and maximize that talent. Even BB says there's a bottom line first. You've got to eliminate your mistakes before you can win. And the cowboys organization hasn't had the discipline to instill that mantra. They are glory hunters. The teams that have been successful first and foremost play with great fundamentals. Something Alex smith has learned. Something romo unfortunately hasn't learned. Neither has Matthew stafford. Pity though.

Former Seahawk Jon Kitna agrees to end retirement, join Dallas as emergency QB
Former Seahawk Jon Kitna agrees to end retirement, join Dallas as emergency QB | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

The Dallas Cowboys are holding out hope that treatment on the herniated disk in Tony Romo's back will allow the quarterback to play in Sunday night's NFC East showdown against the Philadelphia Eagles.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Romo has received an epidural injection to reduce pain, according to a person informed of the player's treatment.
Dallas Cowboys hope epidural shot helps Tony Romo - NFL.com

I'm guessing that the Kitna move was made due to his starting all of those games during the 2010 or 2011 season (can't remember which one) when Romo was hurt and missed the last half or so of the season. He at least knows the offense.

He must at least have been comparable to those other bums they brought it anyway. Just my guess though.

I don't know if it's only the coaching, but as a whole I think that the Dallas Cowboy organization is poorly run in every possible way that one could imagine.

The most positive spin on this is that Jerry has yet to figure out that he can either be the GM of the Cowboys, or have a good team.

The most negative spin is that Jerry does understand this, and just doesn't give a ****.

The most positive spin on this is that Jerry has yet to figure out that he can either be the GM of the Cowboys, or have a good team.

The most negative spin is that Jerry does understand this, and just doesn't give a ****.

That's about as good of a way as anyone could possibly put that situation, and you hit it smack on the head.

Nothing is going to change as long as he's alive, and then when Stephen takes over I still have my doubts then too.

I really couldn't care less about them, aside from my wife being a die-hard fan, which has made me follow them more closely than I ever expected.

Rumours are Romo is going to try and play. I'm fed up of his haters. They're clueless. The guy is having a great season.

He's rarely had the O Line or team around him to do well. I would take him above most QBs in the NFL and if he had the team, he'd have a ring FYI.

The guy came ftom behind to win in OT against the 49ers a couple of years ago with broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung...such a choker :rolleyes:

Rumours are Romo is going to try and play. I'm fed up of his haters. They're clueless. The guy is having a great season.

He's rarely had the O Line or team around him to do well. I would take him above most QBs in the NFL and if he had the team, he'd have a ring FYI.

The guy came ftom behind to win in OT against the 49ers a couple of years ago with broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung...such a choker :rolleyes:

What's the excuse for the picks against the Packers that cost to the franchise a win and possible a playoff spot?

Unbelievable that there are still people defending Tony Romo. HE CHOKES, its as simple as that. About the broken ribs, he's tough nobody denies that but what's the relation between being tough and being a top QB?

Ben Roethlisberger is tough as hell and always let his team down because of injuries he could have avoided. Would Tom Brady play with broken ribs and collapsed lung? I don't think so, that doesn't rank Romo above him in any aspect.

I can understand dumb Cowboys fans defending that choke artist, fans of other teams tough, watching the games without bias, how much proof do you need? He's a good QB ok , but guess what, he plays on NFL, he's gotta be good. It takes more than a good arm to be a great QB, he has a hell of an arm no question about that, he just don't have a brain.

What's the excuse for the picks against the Packers that cost to the franchise a win and possible a playoff spot?

Unbelievable that there are still people defending Tony Romo. HE CHOKES, its as simple as that. About the broken ribs, he's tough nobody denies that but what's the relation between being tough and being a top QB?

Ben Roethlisberger is tough as hell and always let his team down because of injuries he could have avoided. Would Tom Brady play with broken ribs and collapsed lung? I don't think so, that doesn't rank Romo above him in any aspect.

I can understand dumb Cowboys fans defending that choke artist, fans of other teams tough, watching the games without bias, how much proof do you need? He's a good QB ok , but guess what, he plays on NFL, he's gotta be good. It takes more than a good arm to be a great QB, he has a hell of an arm no question about that, he just don't have a brain.

Up by 23 points, Dallas ran the ball a grand total of seven times in the second half, relying on Romo to throw the ball 21 times.

No one is denying that romo chokes more often than other QBs. But the coaching takes a lot of blame for putting him in that situation. He is a top 10 veteran QB in this league though.

Brady
Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Ben
Rivers

Jury still out
Luck
Wilson
Foles
Ryan (after the season he's had)

By the way, I hope he doesn't play this Sunday. Not that I don't want Dallas to win but cos I don't want romo's career to end.

I have trouble with the media narrative about Romo. What Cowboy games I watch, I always see an offensive line made of swiss cheese, and I see Romo throwing under extreme pressure just about every down.

If he went elsewhere, I bet he would do quite well.

I also think the media could easily give Peyton the Tony Romo treatment if they wanted to. The picking and choosing who they want to saddle with the choke tag is sort of disingenuous.

Romo gets no help. He isn't good enough to do it all by himself, but he's good enough where I bet he would thrive with another team.

I don't think the mistake was with Dallas giving him such a huge contract. I think the mistake is on Romo for not going elsewhere.

Outside of Charles and occasionally Bowe the offensive talent around him isn't that great.

americas-team.jpg

It seems as though Romo still has a barrier to try and overcome in terms of making the proper decision, as we all know. That said, the idea that he sucks etc is what is wrong with many of the average fans, and why some attempt to state the opposite--or at least something more towards the middle, as I am.

As pointed out previously, there are ZERO NFL quarterbacks in the entire history of the league who have a higher 4th quarter QB rating than Tony Romo, and he has an all-time career QB rating that is basically the same as our own Tom Brady (around 95/96). Those aren't numbers that scream "he sucks" to me, and that's why there are many who attempt to point that out, along with the fact that he's an obvious top 10-12 quarterback in this league.

It seems that it's either black or white when it comes to Tony Romo, but I think he falls into the grey area located in the middle. He's not great by any means, and his decisions (some of which are his fault, some which are wrong routes which happened at the end of both the DEN and GB games this year) obviously need to be improved upon. It just sucks for him that is what defines him as an NFL player, because he does a lot of things correctly too.

As far as the "choker" label---that would likely be correct, as his normal 95/96 QB rating all-time lowers itself to a paltry 80 in the last 5 minutes of the game; and that is even with his great overall 4th quarter play in the opening 10 min of the last quarter, as proven by his highest all-time QB rating in that last quarter. Unfortunately for him and CBoys fans, those last 5 minutes are shaky.

he's something like .400 in december, hes the opposite of brady. when a team needs to have a win romo seems to always be on the short end of the stick

Vindication for Schefter and Mortensen

I hope Orton set the state of Texas on fire to see how Jerry will handle this.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back