PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No mention anywhere of Seattle going for it on 4th down with 2 minutes to go

So... what is this SB39, the 50th time youve come into a thread to scold other posters for being too thin-skinned?

I think you crossed the hypocrisy threshhold about 30 thin-skinned admonishments ago..

He's not wrong here. It's getting extremely tiresome to see the same whiney threads about other teams "running up the score" or passing with a big lead late in the game and the media not coming down on them for it. That said, I always ***** about people not using the ignore thread option so I think I will put my money where my mouth is and make use of it.

I don't keep count.

Your complaint might have a bit more validity were it not for the fact that several others in here have issued identical scoldings of their own most more harsh than mine. So I'm hardly a minority of one in this case.

Yes, there are a handful of posters that open up clearly labelled threads and admonish the participants for the subject of their conversation.

Kontra and you both love to do this.

But the fact remains, there are people that want to talk about it.

I personally dont feel the need to get upset over this very basic fact or to constantly berate people for what they choose to kvetch about.

Any forum is like a dinner party. You have the right to join in to any conversation but admonishing other guests for the topic of their discussion is.. rude.

Agreed, Lets see if Seattle's brilliance can take some Sportscentre minutes away from Peyton's Worship
It's the media's dream menage a trois...

We're not even to the first Sunday of the season and people are *****ing about the medea, firing preemptive strikes against the media in case BB keeps Revis on one side of the defense, and crying because the defending SB champions weren't called out on week one.

Sad.

I'm beginning to dislike the Seahawks. It seems they are pounding their chest more these days.
Maybe the Sherman attitude is contagious.:(

They are the Super Bowl champions. Plus, Pete Carroll is their coach. He breeds that type of "swagger."

Seattle is everyone's darling now (I like them too - good ol' fashioned football attitude, and man, do they play FAST).

New England was America's team in February 2002 - remember? Came out as a team, huge underdogs, beat the Greatest Show on Turf. Beloved, and such a great story after 9-11. They were still that way in the 2003-2004 run.

But they kept winning. People get sick of seeing the same team win year after year. Heck, at the 2004 season Superbowl (in Jacksonville, Feb, 2005), Eagles' fans greatly outnumbered Pats fans, mostly because they were mortgaging houses to buy the tickets from Pats fans who had been to two Superbowls in the three previous years and so cashed in instead of going. I was there and our section was surrounded by sections full of Eagles fans - and we were on the Pats side of the field.

Seattle is a great team - if they somehow manage a repeat, the shine will start coming off and people will start to hate them.

This running up the score thing is nonsensical. Yeah, Denver piled it o a little bit with the Ravens - remember what had happened in Denver in teh playoffs the year before?

And Seattle was playing Green Bay, a team with a reputation (at least - I really don't think they're nearly as dangerous as they used to be) for being able to hit on TD bombs from anywhere on the field. You play to win. If they can't stop you, that's on them, not you.

As for double standards, see above, and remember, the press hates BB...heh, he likes it that way! That throat-clearing is truly insufferable.

I feel like people forget all the Pats worship that went on from 2001-2003. Fans of the other 31 teams can only take so much. If the seahawks win for 2 more years, I guarantee the media will sour on them because it's what the readership will want.

Flavor of the month getting love from the media and a pass for running up the score?
jp9a3p.png

One of the worst QBs trailing in the 4th by the stats. Gimme Brady and Brees over him anyday...

…and after them, Rodgers over the Fivehead...

Seattle was up by 13 with 2:40 to play.

Forget about 'running up the score' for a moment, and keep in mind that Green bay has a very good offense; what's the smartest play in that scenario?

1. A field goal from the 15 is almost guaranteed. Though it still remains a two-possession game if converted, the odds of a comeback drop quite a bit because they require not one, but two 2-point conversions. Even if that happens the score is only tied, as opposed to losing if the opponent scores 14 points. On the other hand, if you are seeking to avoid catastrophe, you don't risk a blocked field goal that gets run back for a touchdown.

2. It was 4th-and-1; run the ball for a first down to maintain possession, and then four more downs. Green Bay still had two more timeouts plus the two-minute warning, so you won't take that much time off the clock - but you will leave them with no timeouts for a potential comeback. The downside to this is if you don't make it, the Packers can score twice to win - whereas a field goal would have probably sealed the win.

3. Surprise the opponent by not running the ball, and instead going for a game-clinching touchdown. Downside is identical to running for a first down in the second scenario above.

I can see an argument being made for any of these three choices; I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer here.

Seattle has been accused of running up the score before (a three-week stretch in December of 2012 when they beat Arizona 58-0; called for a fake punt in the 4th quarter when they were up 47-17 against the Bills; and again when Pete Carroll faced old college rival Jim Harbaugh and beat the 49ers 42-13.

I wouldn't put this game in the category of 'running up the score', but I do agree with the OP - if the Patriots were in an identical situation and threw for a touchdown, then it would have been a big story nationally today.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back