PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No matter what happens in the draft, Is anything else but a super bowl a failure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
We have some weapons, some saftey and inside LB is still needed, but is this team a failure, if we do not reach the super bowl.. After 1 week of FA, and know anything is possible, but I am predicting a AFC Title game of Denver at the Pats..:D

Re: No matter what happens in the draft, Is anything else but a super bowl a failure?

I am excited but prefer to follow BB's mantra: one game at a time.

Still many interesting phases for us fans: draft, training camp, more signings, and hopefully no significant injury before the 1st game. Gosh - can't believe that September is so far away...

Re: No matter what happens in the draft, Is anything else but a super bowl a failure?

We have some weapons, some saftey and inside LB is still needed, but is this team a failure, if we do not reach the super bowl.. After 1 week of FA, and know anything is possible, but I am predicting a AFC Title game of Denver at the Pats..:D

Signing FA big names means absolutely NOTHING unless these FA signees can gel as a T-E-A-M and then show us what got them paid the big $$$.

I am reluctant and probably the only one on the forum who thinks it takes more than just big names to fill a roster with SB talent..It takes all 52 guys on the same page and thriving for the same thing - The SB Championship - HOWEVER,Sometimes these players only want the big contracts with BIG money that acompanies them and when they get it they fail to keep up the play that got them their big money to begin with,just satisfied in making the big bucks.

Ask the Washington Redskins who have some of the biggest and best names in FA this past decade....How many SB titles have they won...hmmmm NONE, - Why? Because those big name players could not gel and get them where Snyder expected them to be - and thats in the SB. - I won't blame Gibbs on the failures of that team,He will never be anything less than an excellent coach and one of the best ever IMO,old or not he is still one of the best.

Lets see Welker and Stallworth run the routes correctly on a constant basis and lets see Adalius play like the dominating defensive player he was in Baltimore before packing our bags for Arizona,Shall we?.

C'mon, really ..... do you really want to be like a Yankees fan ?

Just enjoy this great team.

R

Im enjoying it and I know championships are not won in March, but we have taken a huge step this first week of 07

Yes.....anything but a SB win is a failure.

I do believe that is the obvious sentiment in the Patriot locker room from comments over the past years. Why would this year be any different?

Im enjoying it and I know championships are not won in March, but we have taken a huge step this first week of 07

What I can say is one thing...We have more talented players on this team than we did at the end of January,Thats for sure.

What I cannot say is that we are a Super Bowl caliber team until I see the team in action and looking like a T-E-A-M,Hopefully injury free as well would help

C'mon, really ..... do you really want to be like a Yankees fan ?

Just enjoy this great team.

R
Well said. I'm very optimistic about the coming season but to call a team which doesn't win a Super Bowl a failure is just unrealistic. Last year we were disappointed because we didn't get to the Super Bowl, but 28 of the 32 teams would have loved to change places with us.

Well said. I'm very optimistic about the coming season but to call a team which doesn't win a Super Bowl a failure is just unrealistic. Last year we were disappointed because we didn't get to the Super Bowl, but 28 of the 32 teams would have loved to change places with us.

Ask fans of the 1990s Bills if they were a failure those years...I'm betting 95% say yes

I think we can't get ahead of ourselves. We didn't sign Lawrence Taylor, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice & Lance Allworth in their primes, we signed Adalius Thomas, Sammy Morris, Donte Stallworth & Wes Welker. They should all be major contibutors to the team, but with a viscous schedule, and the usual injuries we always seem to get, nothing is guaranteed. I think if we wind up with some key rookies from the draft, and guys like Eugene Wilson and Rodney Harrison play as well, or 90% as well as the SB years, then we might see something special.

If you go on the premise that we were probably the second best team in the league last year, despite a viscous schedule, we should still beat most of those teams, possibly a repeat of the 12-4 record of last year.

Too many IF's, and until we can prove we can beat the Colts, they are still the best in the NFL, and favorites to win it again. If the stars align correctly (players play up to their potentials, no injuries, homefield advantage, etc), then maybe we get Lombardi #4. Lot's of IF's though. I certainly like this team better than last year's.

Last edited by a moderator:

EVERY year anything but a SB is a failure.

It all depends on injuries. Period.

I think we're a Super Bowl caliber team already coming out of 06. We've added a bunch of weapons onto that, so yes we are definitely, once again, a Super Bowl caliber team in my eyes.

But I think football, with its do-or-die playoffs, you could never say the failure to win the Super Bowl made the season a failure. There's too much out of one's control, with the Colts game being a prime example.

I'll take complete dominance of the AFC East with a chance for a Lombardi every year over a sure shot flash in the pan one year success every time.

Being competitive every year, being one of the most feared and respected teams in the NFL is no failure.

after the three out of four championships, I think anything less than a Super Bowl is a failure

It's certainly looking like that. Most experts will be picking the Pats to win it all next season. My early prediction is San Diego at New England in the AFC title game and I it really doesn't matter who comes out of the NFC. While our team is re-loading, the superbowl champions are losing players. I understand the Colts virtually have no weaknesses on offense, however, their defense needs improvement. I know this is a dumb excuse, but if the Pats had a defense in the 2nd half, they would have gone to the superbowl. You have to remember, the Pats offense posted 27 points on the Colts defense which should have been enough. Now the Pats are addressing their weakness on defense, linebacker, and will also adress it with their 1st pick unless Reggie Nelson is available. Also, you look at what the Colts are doing on defense, which is nothing, and watching their best players potentially leaving in free agency.

Last edited:

I think failure is too harsh a word. Maybe disapointment fits better. IMO, getting to the AFCC last year and losing it wasn't a failure of a season. Definetely a disapointment though. I was surprised they got by San Diego, so. IMO last year wasn't a failure, just a disapointment. Even if they hadn't doem so much in FA so far, I'd still loook at the upcoming season theh same way. Win the SB or it's a disapointment. I would look at this differently if the Patriots were coming off a 2-14 season. Then getting to 8 or more wins would be a success -:)

I think the real question should be "Has recent success spoiled New England Patriots fans?"
I'm as thrilled as everyone else here with FA's this year and would absolutely LOVE to rub another championship into the face of my ex (she's from Indy, suddenly a Colts fan who last year couldn't name three players) but still! These are our glory years including last year, can't we enjoy the ride for the ups as well as downs?
I hope I'm not being too critical here but c'mon folks! Most of us were Sox fans before 2004, where's the joy of loving a team?

I say: let stick to the BB's motto: one game by one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots