Welcome to PatsFans.com

No Longer the Best and the Brightest?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 7, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

It would be VERY interesting if parents could actually VOTE on whether or not their children should be "educated" on social norms.

Why & when did it become a part of public education?

I know it was never taught to me or anyone else from my generation. I don't know why parents haven't rebelled against it and claimed that teaching "social norms" is a parent's responsibility.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

The Left Wing Liberal agenda is very strong in America and they believe they are "the way & the truth" they know whats best for you, they claim to be the champions of "Freedom" when in fact they are nothing but Communistic Dictators it's their way or no way, they are right and everybody that dares to disagree with them is wrong and should be silenced, that is their version of "Freedom"

To a true liberal freedom is only if you agree with them, their idea of freedom is to BAN the tea party, BAN talk radio, Ban Limbaugh, Ban Beck, BAN Coulter and their biggest target BAN FOX NEWS, thats the Idea of Freedom to the Far Left Wing Liberal.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Having been a union official in a previous life, this can be true or not true dependent on where you sit, in many newsworthy situations it is difficult, but on many occasions union representatives are very beneficial in "counseling people out."

If you have competent administration that can build an evidence based case, you can fire anyone.. the problem often is in their haster to try to get rid of someone, they do not follow the prescribed procedures, and it is usually those cases that get the publicity... union folks usually can tell an accused employee that it may be better to resign than to get fired.

Seniority usually rules, but in many cities it is changing.. for example in RI Providence and Central Falls I believe that they gave it up.. seniority also provides an opportunity for a teacher to get into a different situation which may be somewhat refreshing and necessary during a teaching career.

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

You may want to be more specific.. social norms is a very vague and ambiguous term.. have you been in a school recently???

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Like what?

True -- but as a self-professed "neocon," why do you think it is that the Republican Party, particularly over the past decade or so, I think, started deriding higher education as elitist?

Say what you will about the Republicans, but they used to value advanced degrees, well-regarded universities and other measures of academic achievement.

6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

What kind of "social norms," PR?

7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

The Right Wing Coservative agenda is very strong in America and they believe they are "the way & the truth" they know whats best for you, they claim to be the champions of "Freedom" when in fact they are nothing but Fascist Dictators it's their way or no way, they are right and everybody that dares to disagree with them is wrong and should be silenced, that is their version of "Freedom"...

Who has advocated banning anything listed in your post, harry?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Find it interesting to see how the right are the major whiners here, but they forget about the Theocracy of South Carolina and the major changes in education in Texas..

Have to wonder how many of the folks who post here have been in any school lately, or are they relying on agenda driven hearsay information.. no where are the thought police more evident than they are in any discussion about education.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Michael Savage, Infowars, an unregulated forum and Newsmax.. come on now Harry, the right wing thought police have infiltrated your brain.. what nothing from the Dittohead nation???

These guys try to spread fear each and every day, keep googling Harry there must something out there from a 'credible" source... or keep reading the hysterical half truth folks..

11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

A New Test Is Proposed in Licensing Radio and TV

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Google "Ban Talk Radio"

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

:bricks:

0-4:

Inside Radio: "...CNN U.S. president Jon Klein has asked show producers to stop booking radio talk show hosts as guests on the cable news network..."

infowars -- a letter to "...monitor 'hate speech' ..."

Yahoo Answers -- really, Harry? even for you, that's ridiculous -- and that's saying a lot

newsmax - "...Sharpton suggested that the FCC should establish "guidelines" or "standards" to regulate speech.

"You've got to remember that those stations that Rush Limbaugh is on and others are regulated by FCC, granted by FCC; they go back to them to get waivers," Sharpton said on his own radio show on Nov. 19th

"They go back to them to get consolidation," Sharpton continued. "They have the right to set standards. That does not impair your right to speak what you believe, but it does say that you are not going to do that to offend groups of Americans based on their race, their gender, their sexual status - none of that..."

14. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Oh goodie! Do I also have a right not to be offended? What's that? I'm not a member of a protected class with elevated rights?

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Page 1 shows a bunch of results for the myth that Obama was going to ban talk radio. None of it true. Epic. What's also great is that there are a bunch of other hysterical predictions, none of which came true either.

There was talk some time ago about bringing back the fairness doctrine, which I support, but that only applies to public resources. It would not affect private channels at all.

16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is Yahoo Answers best answer for when Obama was going to banned [sic] talk radio.

Isn't the internet great? It never lies.

There's no point in debating HB, he's more bot than human. Republibot.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

2 things:

1) That's entirely different from harry's overreactionary claims, which is what my post was addressing

2) If you do want to get into that, I'll almost certainly agree with you w/regard to the merits of the proposals cited -- but where we may disagree is that I think these "protected classes" are far from the only ones who seem they have a right not to be offended.

Recent conversations related to that subject in this forum include the "war on Christmas" bs, the "Christmas" exhibit (whcih wasn't a Christmas exhibit at all) that was pulled at the Smithsonian and "Piss Christ."

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Google whatever you want to google, but if you have half a brain and know that everything you google does not have veracity... intelligence and common sense trumps google search every day of the week.

20. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

You'll have to take that up with those people. I am for equal treatment. My only objections to things like that is the perception that offending Christians is considered acceptable (if not necessary) while offending other groups (like Muslims) is not only acceptable but potentially illegal (Piss Christ vs. Muhammad cartoons).