Welcome to PatsFans.com

No Longer the Best and the Brightest?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Triple-T

Triple-T Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Education begins in the home. If you have parents who are present and care about it, then the children almost always do well. The opposite is then true. Too many factors go into explaining deteriorating home life, but that has to be the focus.

That being said teacher's unions suck royally. I'd push for a complete voucher system and let the parents decide where the money goes. Yes, some kids would then be screwed even more, but more would likely benefit. (Poor folk who care could at least get their kids into a decent school. Rich kids will always be in good schools. Poor folk who don't care? Yeah, get ready for jail.)

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +366 / 11 / -27

In RI our highest performing schools are in the most affluent communities.. pretty confident that this occurs across the nation. Maybe it is more parental involvement, but methinks it is more about money and facilities..

Conversely the one size fits all, college track & standardized testing, adapts better to the affluent community than it does to the communities that have less assetts. This is proven out, in every state that I am aware of..

The federal government should divest itself from educational dictatorships, and let the states/LEA's figure it out.. the feds should provide consultation and leadership in the form of incentives to best practices...

All the feds have done is increase regulations, thus increasing spending for the local school boards..

3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

This is news? Haven't U.S. students been trailing the rest of the developed world for about 20 years? Looking at the PISA site, I see that the U.S. scores were actually worse in 2003 (in absolute terms).

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

If the biggest descrepancy is "socio-economic background", then that explains why the US is performing at a lower level.

Countries like Finland don't have the same socio-economic backgrounds as the US. And that's due to the size of our population vs. Finland, Nothing else.

It is not the job of gov't to fix variances in socio-economic groups. It's up the each individual. The gov't can create a level playing field across society without punishing one group and favoring others.

What we can do is equivalize public school funding for all students. I do agree every student is entitled to have the same funding (per student) as any other. So a child from South Boston should be entitled to the same funding as a child from Dover.

We can do that at the state level, not the federal level. Yes, they'll still be variances in funding by state, but Americans can't afford to let our federal gov't get involved in funding in any manner, shape or form. It's just too inefficient. But at least every child in every state will get the same level of funding.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

This is an example of the crap they feed kids today instead of teaching them to read:

A school in maine spent two hours telling 10 year old children not to call Indians "Indians" two hours that could have been spent teaching them that 3 plus 3 equals 6.

The dumbing down of America.

:bricks:

6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Loon Teacher:
    Teacher takes all of his clothes off in the classroom, I wonder how many more of these batty a$s holes there are out there teaching your kids how to read, this is where we are headed with "Liberal Bullsh!t"

HOME SCHOOL YOUR KIDS KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE LIBERAL LOONS

KSU instructor arrested for allegedly exposing self in class | ajc.com

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +366 / 11 / -27

FYI he is a personal friends of Newt... enough said.

Sounds like a right wing loon to this viewer.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

He also attends Kennedy Family Cookouts at The Compound.

9. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Sure they did, harry.

btw, if a 10-year old doesn't know 3+3=6, there's already a problem

There's an interesting irony between this comment and the post within which it appears...

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

What does this have to do with children or libruls?

He was a university instructor. You really don't know much about education if you think that has anything to do with children or learning to read.

And given that he taught in the business department (acctg), at a state school in GA, what would lead you to assume he's a dem rather than a pubbie?

You really are in a fantasyland.

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Not only that, he was a part-time contracted instructor who held an evening class twice a week...which means he most likely isn't a "teacher" at all - nor is there any reason at all to assume he is a "liberal."

Plus, you can't "homeschool" college kids.

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yeah they should be home schooled. Or better yet all be subject to a Texas education using their text books.:rolleyes: When i was in grade and high school back in the Sixties and Seventies the scores were much higher, close to the top, and the system was the same. So its teachers unions and liberals, i can see you went to school much later than i did.

13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Agree, very old news.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

What amazes me is that we have people who actually are always looking for MORE spending. That is their first thought, "We need more funding!". And that's just plain insanity.

We need to look beyond funding and to ourselves to solve these problems. If family issues greatly affect performance (and they do), don't look for MONEY to fix it. Let's look to the people with the problems to get their act together.

Because if we don't, then none of us are accountable....we'll just all be looking for money to solve issues. How about we just let those who don't want to learn, drop out of school?

Instead of "No child left behind" we should have, "If you don't get your arse in gear, we're gonna leave you behind!":rocker:

That is one reason why I'm glad we're in this horrendous recession. Prior to 2006, America was rapidly becoming the land of "See what I've done" and "See what I have?". Arrogant, pompous and materialistic...and some thought that was acceptable!

Well guess what folks, it's not acceptable and it was quickly leading to our demise.

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If the root causes are socioeconomic then waiting for less successful families to get their acts together is going to accomplish absolutely nothing, especially in an environment where even well qualified people can't find decent jobs. What are you going to do, tell the contractor across the street to go get his PhD? Not going to happen, which is usually true of all these pull yourself up by the bootstraps arguments. With the privatization of the public school system we are well on our way to two tiers of education in this country, and then you're going to see overall test scores get even worse.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +366 / 11 / -27

There are already two tiers of education.. affluent community vs. poor community, community who send their children to private schools vs. community who cannot afford to do such, community who builds beautiful new schools(asets) vs. poor community who has to do with old buildings not conducive to education.

Blaming teachers unions is just another effort to demonize a group of people(easy answer) to avoid the real issues.. the educational deficits are a systemic problem that has issues on many levels..

A voucher system will only perpetuate this divide more, in a voucher system if a parent wants to use the child to send a child to a christian school will that be an issue?? If a parent wants to use the voucher to send the child to a muslim school will that be an issue?? If a parent want to use their voucher to a school with a machine gun themed school would that be ok??

All of this needs a lot of discussion and there are no simple answers, never mind one or two demons as the root cause.. it has festered for a while and the feds have only made it worse.

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I agree that there are many issues and no simple answers, but I think one of the real problems are teachers unions, particularly in certain locations.

I understand that they're doing what they're supposed to do, but their interests are what's best for the teachers, not what's best for the students or the country. (Is there a legitimate reason for tenure to exist?)

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

If they were home schooled when they were younger they'd have enough brains to steer clear of that frigging school that hires a$s holes like that guy.

What was he trying to teach them?
    :rofl:

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Had you kept my entire post, I did propose a solution to educational dicrepancies. Here is the part you left out

Would like your comments/criticisms of the above.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

"mommy"
    "yes dear"
    "do i have to go to school today"
    "why dear, don't you feel well"
    "todays tuesday mom"
    "whats wrong with tuesday dear"
    "mr fondler takes all his clothes off on tuesday and shows us his dinky"
    "oh, he must be a democrat"