PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No interest in Manny Lawson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought he was an intriguing prospect. Have not really seen him name pop up, not a fit for the pats?

The FO should have interest in Lawson, and lots of it. He's merely the best remaining UFA 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE
in a very, very small marketplace.

Unless somebody not currently a free agent suddenly becomes available, and Bill doesn't sign
at least one (pref. 2) of Anderson, Lawson & Carter, then we need to hope that Markell Carter
& Cunnyham are ready to contribute; and how realisic is that?

Last edited:
DW has alot of great points here. Every year we get pumped, and BB trades down, and down some more, and into the following year. With him already trading away so many mid/late round picks for this draft, I'd be shocked if he doesn't trade down again to fill in some of those rounds, even though I don't think he should. Brady is not getting any younger. Draft the best talent NOW!

To quote/paraphrase BB "We're building a team, not collecting talent."

Now, that being said, this draft isn't exactly loaded with top end talent. I could easily see BB trading down from the 31 pick to add picks later in the draft. Why? Well, because there seems to be a lot more Middle/Upper type players this year than there are Top end players. Kinda like the 2009 draft.

What people also forget is that the Patriots, when they do make trade-downs, do so if they believe the player they want will still be available (see Mayo/McCourty). When that happens, people are always talking about the "genius" of Belichick. Yet, others come out and slam him.. Much like you are doing..

I find it annoying how people just sort of assume that whenever Bill trades a pick away, he doesn't ever move back up again. It's like people are only looking at the first step, and not bothering to connect the dots from there on out....even when we have multiple 1st year after year.

With that being said; how many years have we gone into the draft with multiple 1st rd picks? Guess what, those picks don't just fall out of the sky. It happens because Belichick takes those 2s and 3s -- that so many of you thumb your noses at -- because we got them as a result of trading down with a 1st, and then we use one of those 2s to trade up in the following years draft; oh, and we still are able to walk away with an extra 2nd or 3rd that we use right away.

Again, we didn't lose that first...we just cycled into into future, oh, and picked up an extra 2nd or a 3rd that can be used right away.

It's like having a 1st rd draft pick that keeps re-generating year after year, oh, and also spits out an additional 2nd or 3rd that you can use right away. And people actually want to shoot the wad all in one draft? You'd be getting way less out of it.

Last edited:
Cousin, I appreciate your enthusiasm but 2010 Draft result was an apparition, BB will dress up in a costume draft day to look like.....BB!
You know he is going to trade down and away from the most ready talent to deal in a low end numbers game.

FA is our shot. He is better picking FAs than a mid pack Draft record that the Team really has over the last six years or so. If we get two pieces out of the Draft that will be long term starters or considered above average by NFL standards, we will have won. 17% is NFL average of success in a draft. That to me, is a little underwhelming and amounts to about two per Team gauged in a term period of three years.

That being said, we have six picks, Two should stick. I hope we get 2010 again.

What I am trying to say is at this stage nothing he does makes sense but he can make it work. He wins which is why you look the other way. He is a great coach but makes life hard on himself by making the proverbial "chicken salad".

I should not drag you down but Draft day always winds up as a disappointment the last years. His down trades have not really worked out well. More like mediocre results.

I should be optimistic and say this is the year he uses picks that have a chance to stick. I will try to keep your attitude but I still have trouble knowing maybe only two work.
Oh Well.
I hope you are right this year.

That being said no one can be that upset with his FA picks so far as a combination. I say well done. You can't get everyone but some make sense when you study them.
I say Lawson could be extraordinary here. I would take a shot but CAP might be an issue now.
DW Toys

I think BB will do something different this year -- trade both first rounders.

Now that Anderson has signed w/ da Bills, Manny Lawson should now become Target #1,
regardless of position.

Now that Anderson has signed w/ da Bills, Manny Lawson should now become Target #1,
regardless of position.

A guy who had 10 sacks is gone? Okay! Let's replace him with a guy with 1.5!:rolleyes:

What's the deal with Lawson? A lot of fans from a few teams love him and want to sign him but there was no market for him last year and he took a 1 year deal with the Bengals and now this season he has no market again.

Re: No interest in Manny Lawson?

Why is it a question?

What's the deal with Lawson? A lot of fans from a few teams love him and want to sign him but there was no market for him last year and he took a 1 year deal with the Bengals and now this season he has no market again.

He's 6'5", 240 pounds, and runs a 4.4. He has experience as a 3-4 OLB and had 6.5 sacks. That's enough to get enough people interested.

What people don't realize is that he's averaged just over 3 sacks per season during his career, has gone over 3 sacks in a season once. Plus, he was a 2-down LB for the Bengals last year. He wasn't good enough in coverage to stay on the field at LB or a good enough pass rusher to play DE on passing downs. Basically, he's the opposite of Ninkovich, who we've seen do both for the Pats.

regardless of position.

This guy is better than everyone thinks.
6'5" and 240lbs. He played at about 255 in S.F.
He is a better prospect all around than Anderson and younger that Carter.
He was as superb cover LB with the Niners and then the Bengals use him for running downs only and he worked well there. Go figure.
In college he was an fairly elite pass rusher. No one yet has used him there. Had 6.5 sacks in shared time in 2009.

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.43, vertical jump - 39.5"

Manny Lawson is one of the truly elite athletes in college football. Not only has he found time to play both end and linebacker, he’s also a track standout having competed in the long jump and hurdles during his time at NC St. As a linebacker in 2002, Lawson had 35 tackles, with one of them coming for loss. As a part time starter in 2003, he improved on all his numbers. He totaled 53 tackles, seven for loss, with three sacks. Lawson made the switch to DE in 2004, and became a full time starter for the first time in his career. On the year, he finished with 50 tackles, 12 for loss, and seven sacks. As a senior, Manny put it all together. He finished the season with career highs across the board: 58 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and 10.5 sacks.

Lawson is an absolute freak of an athlete. He has excellent agility, closing speed, and jumping ability. Pound for pound, he may also be the strongest player in the draft. There is not a single physical trait he lacks. On the football field, he is an emerging talent. He did not make too many plays early on, but once he moved to defensive end, he started to show his pass rushing ability. His upside is tremendous, and he could be a standout pass rusher at the next level. Lawson is also a standout special teamer.

I think there is a better play here. You build a Team and you know what you have with Jared Allen. The Vikes will move him as rumor goes. One of our firsts+?. He is owed $11m in 2012 and $13m in 2013 which is him but he is elite. He has 22 Sacks on a poor Team in 2011. He is only 30. Mario is getting $16.5m per year. His results are less than Allen. Anderson just got over $6m per year for 4 years for his part time role efforts here. Extend him two more years to get the number down.
The Vikes fan base will go wild if you dump him for just a pick, but BB has two that you know he is going to pee away one. Now the Vikes take that #1 from the Pats and go after Wallace for Ponder. Steelers have to let him walk. He and Harvin will be good stuff. Wallace is still young. It will be exciting for the Vikes fan base. The Vikes have some CAP space. The Vikes have two younger kids at DE that they want to play.

Perfect fit for the Pats. Good deal for the Vikes who want to go young.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back