PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Huddle....Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I'm listening to WEEI as we speak and there is so many callers wanting the Patriots to start of the game directly in no huddle. I honestly don't think its a good idea, I'd rather let Brady get an idea of what the defense is trying to do then when he sees the defensive personnel he likes, kill em. I understand attempting to confuse the defense and keep them on their toes but I'd rather give Brady a chance to feel the defense's scheme before just throwing the ball up and down the field.

Of course we want them to set the tone on offense as early as possible but would coming right out in no huddle help this? I know eventually we'll get the no huddle going especially sinse the Ravens aren't the best cover team linebackers especially after dealing with these TEs and being gassed as the game progresses.

Thoughts?

Depends. If we hit a play for over 20 yards on the first play, then no-huddle. If we get stuffed in the back-field. Regroup.

I think Brady will be a good judge of setting the tempo.

Last edited:
I don't know. I really don't know enough about the Ravens and their substitutions. If they substitute a lot depending on situations, I would run the no huddle all the time. I think they may want to pull Ray Lewis off the field on third downs because he is too slow to cover Gronk or Hernandez, but a no huddle will keep him on the field.

I am leaning towards going with the no huddle for this game just because their defense is older and slower than others. They could get worn out quickly if the pace of the game is up tempo for the first two or three quarters.

I think a no huddle would be effective. As far as Ray is concerned, he never comes off the field, even with his handi-caps in covering. He probably wont be manning up with the TE's that much anyway, so no getting him out is not going to happen. Ravens will have alot of DB's active, and none of them other than Reed are out their 20's. So they shouldnt get as tired as quickly, as long as the offense takes care of their business and give them rest

Along with Lewis, my impression is that McClain and Johnson are sub-standard in coverage.

Accurate?

Last edited:
I'd start the game in a regular pace and would only go no-huddle if we find the Ravens in a very favorable formation. If we start out in the no-huddle and go three and out, all of a sudden you have taken 20 seconds off the clock and the Ravens are getting the football. That has happened before this season, a good example would be the Colts game.

they do alright. Ravens have not given up many yards or td's to TE this year. Nobody has gone over 70 yds i think, and that's including Gates and Vernon Davis

Thats awesome, that defense should as good as they are but they haven't faced a pair of TEs like this. And Chargers didn't need Gates that game honestly

Last edited:
they do alright. Ravens have not given up many yards or td's to TE this year. Nobody has gone over 70 yds i think, and that's including Gates and Vernon Davis

I ask b/c typically with a great red-zone D, you find two qualities.

-The offense cannot/won't run the ball because they will not be successful.
-There is speed & discipline in the LB and secondary.

Lewis and McClain are excellent/very instinctive players & run defenders. Obviously that attribute is beneficial at the goal line where quick decisions need to be made.

With that said, when the Pats are at the goal line, by utilizing the TE as pass receivers, that will be an interesting matchup to watch - especially where size and coverage skills are important.

I'd start the game in a regular pace and would only go no-huddle if we find the Ravens in a very favorable formation. If we start out in the no-huddle and go three and out, all of a sudden you have taken 20 seconds off the clock and the Ravens are getting the football. That has happened before this season, a good example would be the Colts game.

The more plays in this game, the more I like the Patriots chances.

Personally, I think clock time is overrated. What matters (at least in the first 3 quarters) is not the time taken off the clock but the number of plays run. Also, the total number of possessions in the game (i.e. scoring opportunities).

I think a no huddle would be effective. As far as Ray is concerned, he never comes off the field, even with his handi-caps in covering. He probably wont be manning up with the TE's that much anyway, so no getting him out is not going to happen. Ravens will have alot of DB's active, and none of them other than Reed are out their 20's. So they shouldnt get as tired as quickly, as long as the offense takes care of their business and give them rest

I was talking about Reed, Lewis, and Redding when I was talking old. I probably should have been far more specific on that one. Their overall defense relies on size and strength over speed, but only certain players are older although they are some key players.

But if the Pats go into the no huddle, it doesn't matter how many DBs they have because there will be very little substitutions.

I would definitely go no-huddle because the Ravens have not had much exposure to it this year.

They will/might run it if they see a favorable defensive package on the field.

Love'da No Huddle With Brady. This will disrupt Raven's D with packages and different set ups & more importantly fatique. That will also open up run. Raven's D won't have time to adjust and you can BANK ON BB & JM comin up with another wringle on "O"
If Pats win coin toss should they receive or defer?

I think the no huddle would brutalize the Ravens defense IF we can give Brady time on passing downs. An early reverse might work well with the over pursuit by the Ravens Defense.

Also two games in a row that Ridley has put the rock on the turf. We need to give his carries to Faulk this week.

I don;t think we HAVE to come out in no huddle, but as effective as it's been, we definitely should be running no huddle for the majority of the game.

Love'da No Huddle With Brady. This will disrupt Raven's D with packages and different set ups & more importantly fatique. That will also open up run. Raven's D won't have time to adjust and you can BANK ON BB & JM comin up with another wringle on "O"
If Pats win coin toss should they receive or defer?

They would defer, he always does

So here's a scientific question. Just as a matter of human physiology, do players in their mid-30's or thereabouts actually tire quicker than younger players? I have read that different athletic abilities, peak speed, aerobic capacity, strength/power, reflexes tend to peak/decline at different ages. I mean look at the number of relatively old offensive lineman who manage to stay playing at a high level.

So here's a scientific question. Just as a matter of human physiology, do players in their mid-30's or thereabouts actually tire quicker than younger players? I have read that different athletic abilities, peak speed, aerobic capacity, strength/power, reflexes tend to peak/decline at different ages. I mean look at the number of relatively old offensive lineman who manage to stay playing at a high level.

Obviously you are not old enough to notice that bumps and bruises take longer to heal as you get older, and that old injuries are easier to re-injure :)

Abstract

The purpose of this study is to identify the age of peak performance in a broad range of athletic events incorporating multiple, diverse biological systems, learned skills, and motivation. Although many researchers have noted that the absolute levels of peak performance among superathletes have improved dramatically in the last 100 years, to date no one has answered the question of stability of peak performance age over this time period. Analyses of Olympic track and field and swimming data show that the age at which peak performance is achieved has remained remarkably consistent. For both men and women, the age of peak performance increases with the length of the foot race, and women generally achieve peak performance at younger ages. The pattern of increased age with increasing distance is reversed for female swimmers, where younger ages are associated with increasing distance. For most categories of performance in baseball, the peak age of performance is equivalent to that of a long distance runner, about 28 years of age, while top tennis players reach their highest levels of performance at age 24. Golfers, in comparison, peak at about 31 years of age, although recent data suggest movement toward younger ages. A task analysis of each event is carried out, and the relative roles of biology and learning are discussed as determinants of peak performance.

Peak Performance and Age Among Superathletes: Track and Field, Swimming, Baseball, Tennis, and Golf

Obviously you are not old enough to notice that bumps and bruises take longer to heal as you get older, and that old injuries are easier to re-injure :)

Peak Performance and Age Among Superathletes: Track and Field, Swimming, Baseball, Tennis, and Golf

Excellent, thank you. No, I'm old enough. It's not that. I just always assumed that the horrifying decline in my athletic abilities had less to do with my age and more to do with sitting in my office chair for 14 hours straight posting on the internet and eating cheezy poofs :)

excellent, thank you. No, i'm old enough. It's not that. I just always assumed that the horrifying decline in my athletic abilities had less to do with my age and more to do with sitting in my office chair for 14 hours straight posting on the internet and eating cheezy poofs :)

those are my cheesy poofs!

Simple so simple. You take out the Ratbirds best player aka Ray Lewis out of his element:eat2:. How you do this you ask? from the getco you go 4 wide Hernandez in the backfield and you Make Ray run run run run chase and get tired by covering guys. :beatingcoming:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes