PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No favored team has beaten a spread of 20 or more points in 20 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
1991 was the last time a team was favored by 20 or more points AND actually COVERED the spread (Bills over the Colts)

The 2007 Patriots went 0-4 against a 20 point or more spread

So for those who are expecting to notch an easy 40-7 game or similar to that,might want to realize that teams rarily ever cover a spread this high.

Be happy with a 21-14 win

Patriots-Colts 21-point spread is an NFL rarity

Last edited:
sometimes things just end up being right

i think we cover the spread, otherwise the spread is covered at the moment brady is taken out of the game

after that the garbage points may break the spread....

1991 was the last time a team was favored by 20 or more points AND actually COVERED the spread (Bills over the Colts)

So for those who are expecting to notch an easy 40-7 game or similar to that,might want to realize that teams rarily ever cover a spread this high.

Be happy with a 21-14 win

Patriots-Colts 21-point spread is an NFL rarity

The Saints beat them by 55 points. It's not outside the realm of possibility to cover here. Let's hope that the team isn't over-confident going into the game (like a certain game against an inferior opponent in Feb. 2008).

History has no place in this game.
What does have place is how much or how little empathy Bill will have for the Colts / Polian.

I dont bet so I dont care we were 0-4 but I do find it impressive that we were 20 point favorites 4 times that year.

You're saying the spread has an effect on the outcome of the game?

You're saying the spread has an effect on the outcome of the game?

The point is that many good teams have tried over the years to win like Vegas expects,but failed to cover the spread

Pretty much means the Colts +21 is a good bet .... Whether the 20 year thing ends is going to be seen sunday

I think the move to Orlovski all of a sudden coming into this game means the Colts actually WANT to win this game (even though its not very likely),its a big coincidence that these moves come on the heels of the Pats game.

Be happy with a 21-14 win? lol we jags fans now?

The point is that many good teams have tried over the years to win like Vegas expects,but failed to cover the spread

Pretty much means the Colts +21 is a good bet .... Whether the 20 year thing ends is going to be seen sunday

I think the move to Orlovski all of a sudden coming into this game means the Colts actually WANT to win this game (even though its not very likely),its a big coincidence that these moves come on the heels of the Pats game.

I highly doubt that players look at the spread and try to cover.

I highly doubt that players look at the spread and try to cover.

I am not saying they do...its just about history and what has transpired in situations like this...Nothing More,Nothing Less

The article explains it if you read it.

Be happy with a 21-14 win? lol we jags fans now?

So you are saying you would be pissed if the Pats WON 21-14?

Spoiled a bit,are we? :cool:

Maybe some here want a complete slaughter and nothing else,I will hope for a W no matter what the score is...Thats all

Cool I don't care what the spread is let's crush them then they can fire someone else as a scapegoat

It's a 7 game streak and 4 of the 7 games were in 2007. That's not much of a sample to be worried about if you're thinking of taking the Patriots and giving the points.

Maybe some here want a complete slaughter and nothing else,I will hope for a W no matter what the score is...Thats all

one of the worst teams in recent history (maybe of all time) goes on the road and plays the pats (who are playoff bound and looking at the first overall seed) within a TD and you want me to be happy....sorry but Id really question this team if we cant beat the atrocious colts handily. I understand its the NFL and anything can happen but c'mon man.

I don't gamble but would love to see a 20-30 point win on Sunday. I remember sitting in the stands in 2005 when Manning and Harrison ripped the Pats to shreds.

That was a flawed Pats team and the 2011 Colts deserve a similar beatdown.

Not only are the Colts far and away the worst team in the league, they are arguably among the worst teams of the past decade. I would be extremely disappointed with a 21-14 win at home against such a pathetic team because that would tell me the 2011 Patriots just aren't good enough for the big time.

Not only are the Colts far and away the worst team in the league, they are arguably among the worst teams of the past decade. I would be extremely disappointed with a 21-14 win at home against such a pathetic team because that would tell me the 2011 Patriots just aren't good enough for the big time.

some food for thought every team the Colts have played have scored more than 21 points outside of the atrocious Jags offense last week. EVERY SINGLE TEAM outside of 1.
Some of those QB's: Colt McCoy, Josh Freeman, Matt Cassel, Tim Hasselbeck.

Hey, I'd be happy with a 21-14 win—if, say, BB gives TFB, Wes, and GRONK the day off and Mallett were the QB under center the whole game.

Well....you do remember the 2004 2-11 Dolphins who beat the 12-1 Patriots on MNF?

Anything can happen......I personally think there is NO chance the Colts come within 14 points unless Addai runs for 200 and Brady gets sacked 8 times, but any given sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back