Welcome to PatsFans.com

No Discussion of how our injured vets are treated at Walter Reed..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Feb 25, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Do not see any posts about how our Commander in Chief and great Decider has let Walter Reed fall apart under his command, and many of our troops are living in a substandard situation while they recover from injuries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2007/02/21/LI2007022100671.html

A bunch of articles about how Rumsfield, the former great secretary of defense, has let this hospital deteriorate at the expense of our returning vets. Now Gates is giving a knee jerk reaction after this was exposed in the media.. f...ing shame how our vets are treated.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

I've read bits of the story. It's a travesty that illegal immigrants get better care than our heroes. Of course, anything government run sucks, and my bro always complained about the VA since he got out of the Army in '93. He said it improved dramatically over time, which is why I'm somewhat surprised by the Walter Reed story. On the surface, without knowing real specifics, except for rat infested buildings and stuff, it's extremely upsetting. :mad:
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Read somewhere that the problem lies with the officers running that place, and apparently they were not ready for that type of command. Without regard, Rumsfield and crew should have known what was going on there and to see it deteriorate on their watch points to a serious void in leadership. Now everyone will get on the feel good bandwagon, and start to make some changes. In '08 candidates will campaign on how they helped make it better, and forget how everyone ignored in '06 and '07.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I understand the need for hospitals on base and in the field to be run by the military, but why are they necessary stateside? If these are so hard to manage, why not contract out to the civilian hospitals near the troops' hometowns if logistically possible? Give them an open account regarding the level of care, and fit them with the best doctors, re-hab, and prosthetics available? Close to home means more visits from family and friends, better recovery environment, etc.
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Not knowing all the details, it is probably about control of what goes on inside I also have read that the military is the benchmark for artificial limb replacement and subsequent PT. Maybe Haliburton or Blackwater could contract for these services also.

Compare to the former role of many states who managed those huge institutions in the 60's & 70's, now they are being sold off as surplus. I also wonder if the military wants to make any changes, as they are comfortable with the current sitz (institunalized program).
  6. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's a memo from the Sergeant Major of the Army (Highest Enlisted Soldier in the Army)...

Leaders Book Notes – Walter Reed
    Last weekend, the Washington Post published a series of stories on what they described as “deplorable conditions” in one outpatient building outside the front gates of Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC). The stories identified substandard living conditions and outpatient administrative issues affecting our Wounded Warriors. As a result, both the Department of Defense and the Army leaderships are conducting comprehensive reviews of conditions at Walter Reed and Bethesda Medical Centers.
    Walter Reed is a state of the art Army Medical Center. Medical professionals at WRAMC have treated more than 6,000 patients since 2002. Two thousand out of the 6000 were treated for injuries received on the battlefield. These 2000 Soldiers started as inpatients and received medical treatment, surgery, and physical therapy.
    Others have been treated for non-battle related injuries or have been held in medical holdover status pending resolution of a medical condition before leaving active duty. The outpatient population at Walter Reed increased from pre-war levels of approximately 120 patients, to a peak of 874 Soldiers in the summer of 2005.
    Walter Reed Army Medical Center started using Building 18 as a Soldier barracks to house some of our outpatient Soldiers in October of 2005. The building has 54 double rooms with a capacity of 108 Soldiers. Currently 76 Soldiers are living in Building 18. Maintenance workers have completed more than 230 service work orders in the past year alone. There were 26 open work orders this past week, when the Washington Post published their article. Three of the 26 work orders identified were repeat issues.
    It is my belief, because there was no constant NCO supervisory presence in the Soldier rooms, many problems were overlooked and did not get reported and fixed. A large part of the problem is attributed to the ratio of NCO to Soldier patients. We have the greatest Army in the world because of our Noncommissioned Officer corps. When you do not have the right balance of leaders, you have supervision problems that occur. Noncommissioned Officers are responsible for the daily health, welfare and living standards of our Soldiers.
    Command Sergeants Major, First Sergeants, Platoon Sergeants and Squad Leaders must have a presence in the barracks everyday to see how their Soldiers are living and to take responsibility for their piece of the Army. That piece of the Army includes the individual Soldier, barracks, grounds and equipment. When senior NCOs spend time in the barracks each day, subordinate NCOs spend the time checking and enforcing standards.
    Everything in the Army has a standard; even the mop closet at 0900 has a standard for appearance and upkeep. Noncommissioned Officers should visit Soldiers in their on-post and off-post housing units on a regular basis. The situation at Walter Reed serves as a reminder to all of us to not lose focus on the fundamental responsibilities of the Noncommissioned Officer.
    The NCO Creed is three paragraphs that encompass what it means to be a Noncommissioned Officer in the United States Army. The first paragraph defines the role of a Noncommissioned Officer. The second paragraph addresses the NCOs’ responsibilities in leading and taking care of Soldiers. The third and final paragraph defines the Officer-NCO relationship and taking initiative in the absence of orders. The NCO Creed is an ideal that we, as Soldiers and Leaders, strive to live up to.
    I am disappointed that the Army had to find out about these unsatisfactory conditions through media reports. I have made numerous trips to WRAMC to visit with Wounded Warriors and their families, but never heard any complaints or issues with Building 18 or with outpatient procedures. This is a lesson that I too, need to spend more time in our barracks across the Army.
    In closing, I want to thank all of you for your hard work and dedication to our Nation. The issue at Walter Reed Army Medical Center gives us a chance to step back and review how we are caring for our Soldiers across the Army. Know that the Army leadership is committed to ensuring that our Soldiers and their families have the best quality of life and medical care we can provide. We owe our Soldiers and their families no less.
    SMA Kenneth O. Preston
    Sergeant Major of the Army
  7. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's a big black eye that they will attempt to fix quickly...I'm sure somebody is going to pay severely for it.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Have always enjoyed your comments, nice piece from the Sgt. Major, I hope for improvements for these guys, they deserve it.. unfortunately, the media is often the motivator for change in the quality of care no matter what level federal, state or local.
  9. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the compliment, I always enjoyed throwing the bull with you. I haven't posted in here in a while and I figured I'd stop by. Hopefully, the place is somewhat civil :).
    I'm glad that someone has found the problem, brought it to attention and now there is a plan to fix it. It may not have been fixed or even surfaced had it not been for this media report. The media may do a lot of muckraking but I think this was a good thing to report. Hopefully, SMA Preston will spearhead this and get it fixed quickly.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Yeah, me too... despite my feelings for the war, I respect the men and women who wear the uniform. Personally, I get rageful inside when we do not take care of our veterans, whether they are wounded or just some of the old WW II guys I know.. they deserve better than they get. It seems they enter into a contract when they sign up, and when we do not keep our part of the bargain.. it is pretty sick.
  11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Seems the Pentagon was unprepared for the number of wounded. In this conflict, I read that there is a 16:1 ratio of injured to KIA. The numbers are staggering. Hopefully this puts a media spotlight on the maimed in addition to the killed. We need a sober assessment of what this is really going to cost for the remaining three 'fiscal conservatives' left in government.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

On NBC’s Meet the Press, Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) argued that the Senate Armed Services Committee did not conduct oversight of the treatment at military facilities in recent years because “they did not want to embarrass the President.”

support the Prez!
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

So Levin left the vets inthe lurch because he doesn't want to embarrass Bush...

Funniest line I've heard this week, this guy outdoes Press Coverage.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :singing:
  14. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It is obvious the "they" was specifically in reference to a Republican majority since lost. Your joke was a good one though! :D Why wouldn't Levin want to embarass the president?
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Of course that always stops the dems from going to the press.

This is just politcal opportunism.
  16. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That dismissiveness seems to suggest that it was bad that Dana Priest broke the story about our combat vets.

Do you think she's politically motivated? If yes, then how so? Why shouldn't the taxpayer know about how our wounded are treated with our tax dollars?
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Yeah but I read something like 80% of the injured are back with their unit in 1-3 days.

There are no fiscal conservatives in this administration. If their are any fiscally sane politicians of significance left anywhere, point me at them. We haven't had fiscally sane government in 5 or 6 decades.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

If there is an outpatient facility that is below standards I want it fized ASAP. I assume that of all the facilities operated by the VA and the military some are better than others. I just don't take seriously the political opportunism of politicians.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Out of curiosity, what is your assumption based on?? If you go back to the stuff put up by BFM31, it is clear that a lot of the oversight was missed by the higher ranking enlisted men. IMO this is where the problem is, there is a drain on many of these guys who are getting rotated in and out of combat. I also have to wonder what is the effect on these guys with the emerging mercenary forces funded by the government.

FYI I am familiar with the Vets Hospital as my father in law died there about 8-9 years ago, I have nothing but praise for the people who cared for him. I also am very friendly with a nurse who still works there. In both situations there were concerns about the continual trimming of costs and cutbacks, which translates into poor quality of care.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Where did you see that?