PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No decision by Commish yet because....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunder509s

Rookie
Reaction score
He realizes that this is a lit powderkeg and whatever decision is handed down has the potential to rock the foundations of the entire league (past, present and future.) Face it, we're not speaking of a player or players. We're speaking of an entire organization, it's ownership, players, coaches and fan base. We're speaking of an enterprise in itself! I'm confident the reason the Commish has not had any formal comment on the situation is that he is gathering as much input from intellectuals from several diffferent backgrounds on what might be the potential repercussions his final decision will have. This whole "camera-gate" is completely out of control from players to coaches to owners to investors to sponsers....the list is long. The Commish knows this. Whatever decision is handed down, will be precise and deliberate and with the best interest of keeping the integrity of the entire NFL intact.

Please post your comments on this~!

He realizes that this is a lit powderkeg and whatever decision is handed down has the potential to rock the foundations of the entire league (past, present and future.) Face it, we're not speaking of a player or players. We're speaking of an entire organization, it's ownership, players, coaches and fan base. We're speaking of an enterprise in itself! I'm confident the reason the Commish has not had any formal comment on the situation is that he is gathering as much input from intellectuals from several diffferent backgrounds on what might be the potential repercussions his final decision will have. This whole "camera-gate" is completely out of control from players to coaches to owners to investors to sponsers....the list is long. The Commish knows this. Whatever decision is handed down, will be precise and deliberate and with the best interest of keeping the integrity of the entire NFL intact.

I'd agree. Time will calm this down.

Is this the Commish who write this by the way?

I hope he's fair but I have a feeling he's going to cave in and hand down a whopper penalty. He may even go the extra mile to "prove" he's in charge. The funny thing for the other coaches and owners is that the "careful what you wish for" saying will someday soon come back and bite them in the azz. you don't think their cheating ways won't be exposed by Bill? I'm sure he has some stories to tell the Comish. If he gets evidence, he'll be forced to hand down equally harsh penalties.:singing:

I don't doubt that Goodell is genuinely pissed off. And I'm sure for the last few days he's had guys like Polian and Fisher in his ear yelling for blood. But I also think, and as we've started to hear in the media the last few days, that the voices of reason are getting to him as well. Don't underestimate his relationship with Kraft.

So we should all be grateful that they are taking their time on this and didn't do something reactionary on Monday.

I feel like we are going to made examples of and Goodell will have to SOMETHING in order to not come off like a patsie (this is where his relationship with Kraft hurts us - remember Peter King's comments when Goodell got the job?) but I don't think there will be any suspensions or high draft picks involved in the penalty.

and don't think for a minute the media firestorm wasn't orchestrated to make sure that Goodell didn't let this whole thing slide. wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Polian and his cronies on the competition committee leaking reports about Belichick going to new york and goodell being pissed, and talk of suspensions and soforth. that way if Goodell does anything short of that he comes off as being in Krafts pocket.

I don't think a suspension will be given. If his decision hurts the in-season ability of a potential SB, you can bet that forces will expose the whole ugly underbelly of this league, and that is something the commish does not want.

I don't think a suspension will be given. If his decision hurts the in-season ability of a potential SB, you can bet that forces will expose the whole ugly underbelly of this league, and that is something the commish does not want.

The more and more I hear about "everybody does it", the more and more I think the NFL will do it's best to sweep this under the rug. No way will they say the Pats cheated, no way. Teams will be exposing each other left and right, and the Pats will take it out on someone else, I guarantee.

I'd like to add that I think the NFL is waiting til Friday (probably afternoon) because it will be a lighter penalty than people expect and it won't grab as much attention as it would today. They are probably aiming for the shortest timeframe between the announcement of the punishment and Sunday night's game.

Last edited:
The integrity of the NFL? What does this have to do with integrity?

Let me present an opposing view. if you read the NFL's actual prohibition against videotaping, you'll see that no mention at all is made of stealing signals. The rule only addresses making a videotape of an opposing coach's signals. Now, you and I know what the intent is, but why is the NFL hell-bent on avoiding legilsation that involves the use of stolen signals?

The NFL can't legislate this because it's such an ingrained part of the game. There is no before and after here, no "before cheating was uncovered," and no league "after cheating was uncovered." There is only an always. There always was this sort of cheating, and always will be, until they install radio receivers in defensive helmets.

Since they couldn't legislate against it, an unspoken rule developed that I'm sure everyone thought they understood. One, don't do it blatantly. Two, never make accusations of cheating like this because the NFL has no way to adjudicate the accusation without calling into question the NFL's stance on stealing signals. We're in a big gray area. Both the Patriots and the Jets have broken the spirit of the NFL's unspoken stance. The Patriots were too brazen, and the Jets were too ratfinkish. The Patriots will be punished, and they should be, but I'm sure the commissioner is right now pissed that the Jets have invited a slew of lawyers and bureaucrats into the room to look over what was previously a gentleman's agreement. We already know the NFL's true feelings on this issue because they declared the Dolphins cheating last year as valid and legal. now the Jets have forced them into a tight spot. New legislation is needed, and now we're going to endure endless Sundays of teams sicking their security and lawyers on one another.

That's what this entire event means. It has very little to do with the game, or the game's integrity. It has everything to do with people's egos, lawyers, the NFL's own screwed up organization which allows the competition committee to be composed of a few select teams that inevitably tilt the field in their own favor.

you don't think their cheating ways won't be exposed by Bill? I'm sure he has some stories to tell the Comish. If he gets evidence, he'll be forced to hand down equally harsh penalties.:singing:

No I don't, that is what separates him from Mangini, BB has been involved with the game too long, has too many alliances, is too well thought of when the microphones are taken away and too much smarts to just roll over on someone.. he will take his lumps and walk away as a man, as for the next time he plays the Jets he will develop a game plan that will embarass Mangini.

Let me present an opposing view. if you read the NFL's actual prohibition against videotaping, you'll see that no mention at all is made of stealing signals. The rule only addresses making a videotape of an opposing coach's signals. Now, you and I know what the intent is, but why is the NFL hell-bent on avoiding legilsation that involves the use of stolen signals?

The NFL can't legislate this because it's such an ingrained part of the game. There is no before and after here, no "before cheating was uncovered," and no league "after cheating was uncovered." There is only an always. There always was this sort of cheating, and always will be, until they install radio receivers in defensive helmets.

Since they couldn't legislate against it, an unspoken rule developed that I'm sure everyone thought they understood. One, don't do it blatantly. Two, never make accusations of cheating like this because the NFL has no way to adjudicate the accusation without calling into question the NFL's stance on stealing signals. We're in a big gray area. Both the Patriots and the Jets have broken the spirit of the NFL's unspoken stance. The Patriots were too brazen, and the Jets were too ratfinkish. The Patriots will be punished, and they should be, but I'm sure the commissioner is right now pissed that the Jets have invited a slew of lawyers and bureaucrats into the room to look over what was previously a gentleman's agreement. We already know the NFL's true feelings on this issue because they declared the Dolphins cheating last year as valid and legal. now the Jets have forced them into a tight spot. New legislation is needed, and now we're going to endure endless Sundays of teams sicking their security and lawyers on one another.

That's what this entire event means. It has very little to do with the game, or the game's integrity. It has everything to do with people's egos, lawyers, the NFL's own screwed up organization which allows the competition committee to be composed of a few select teams that inevitably tilt the field in their own favor.

Great post! :singing:

I'd like to add that I think the NFL is waiting til Friday (probably afternoon) because it will be a lighter penalty than people expect and it won't grab as much attention as it would today. They are probably aiming for the shortest timeframe between the announcement of the punishment and Sunday night's game.

Bingo.

I'm sure that the commissioner is more pissed at Mangini than anyone else for unnecessarily causing this firestorm, and damging the NFL thereby.

It's obvious from the players and coaches who have directly answered the question "is this a common practice in the NFL" - the answer is overwhelmingly yes. Most former coaches that have been asked "Have you done it" have answered yes. Notice how active coaches in general have dodged the question by saying "I have heard about it". How many times do you have to hear "it's part of football" by people with 20 and 30 years in the league to understand what's been going on.

This poster is right - in that the silence and delay can only mean that the league is trying to minimize the PR impact.

The long term results of Mangini's little game may be the lasting enmity of a new commish and the league offices - as well as being unemployable in any franchise after he his bounced (this year or next) from New York.

R

No I don't, that is what separates him from Mangini, BB has been involved with the game too long, has too many alliances, is too well thought of when the microphones are taken away and too much smarts to just roll over on someone.. he will take his lumps and walk away as a man, as for the next time he plays the Jets he will develop a game plan that will embarass Mangini.

Possibly but I haven't seen too many of his allainces coming to his defense yet. The whole NFL seems to be jumping all over this Like BB invented spying.

Last edited:

Given the nature of this "scandal" the Commissioner will have to acknowledge and admit the "legal" cheating of stealing calls that has gone on with his blessing.

Most fans think the "cheating" was the fact that signals will be stolen. When they realize that Goodell effectively encourages all teams to cheat like that, there's going to be some backlash - at Goodell - not at the Patriots

I'm sure they are trying to collect more info from the past that could be part of any penalty. If the league was serious enough to hand down a a suspension it would be done in the next few days. The longer they wait the less of a penalty it will be.

Given the nature of this "scandal" the Commissioner will have to acknowledge and admit the "legal" cheating of stealing calls that has gone on with his blessing.

Most fans think the "cheating" was the fact that signals will be stolen. When they realize that Goodell effectively encourages all teams to cheat like that, there's going to be some backlash - at Goodell - not at the Patriots

I wish I had the same faith in fans that you have. Most fans could not care less what happens from here on out; Goodell could come out and say that no rule was broken, and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

I have absolutely no opinion on whether or not the wait means the punishment will be heavy or light.

I love reading the optimistic posts here, but I can't help but recall our optimistic "This is a nonstory" posts from a few days ago. Even though the piling on is TOTAL BS, this has spiralled into an out of control debacle. There's no two ways around that.

I am fully prepared for a harsh punishment. Nothing else has gone our way since this damn thing broke. That way, if it's not, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
This poster is right - in that the silence and delay can only mean that the league is trying to minimize the PR impact.

Goes along with another comment that the longer the NFL waits, the less the penalty will be. The league just wants this off the front page, and I can already tell it's getting tucked underneath other news on ESPN.com and such. Tomorrow it won't be a big headline. People forget very quickly.

Last edited:

Really a great post. This captures the "times that we live in" and overall attitude of how people feel about one another. So, I ask, are you stating that there actually WILL be a before and after point of demarkation? It won't be "the day that cheating occured." It will be the day that teams got law suite happy and lost sight of the game.

It is sickening to me.

Do you think that Goodell could possibly stem the tide by some strong leadership here? If he got rid of the "united nation" Competition commitee and made clear some of the gray areas, perhaps this darkness would go away. But, I am more inclined that your post says it all.

Possibly but I haven't seen too many of his allainces coming to his defense yet. The whole NFL seems to be jumping all over this Like BB invented spying.

They can't do much, the NFL rules with an iron hand.. BB has pissed the leagueoff and their loyalty to their own team outweighs loyalty to BB, it has to. These guys don't have a union to protect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes