PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No conspiracy: Pats, Chiefs were perfect partners

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread should stickied. We should refer to it often!!!!

He's nearly the only thing this board can point to with pride this weekend. Notice how few comments, no consipracy means no opportunity for all the armchair geniuses hereabouts to vent and tear that Belichick idiot a new one...LOL

They feel misled and let down. First they were sure Cassel was useless and then they were informed he was potentially their generations Hershel Walker. If they could only grasp it wasn't Bill who set them up for a crashing disappointment. It was a gaggle of football pundits and mediots looking to fill space.

I'd have liked to have gotten A 1st for Cassel, but getting out from under his tag 48 hours into FA was worth a 2-3 slot discount... I had no idea Vrabel would go but if I had I wouldn't have expected compensation, more like veteran locker room backlash...so that part of the deal worked for me too. If Bill felt that step he'd lost wasn't going to return with a healthier shoulder, I can live without any more of his NFLPA whines in the run up to the uncapped season too... He gets the full final year of his deal and someone else pays for it. Win-win.

He's nearly the only thing this board can point to with pride this weekend. Notice how few comments, no consipracy means no opportunity for all the armchair geniuses hereabouts to vent and tear that Belichick idiot a new one...LOL

They feel misled and let down. First they were sure Cassel was useless and then they were informed he was potentially their generations Hershel Walker. If they could only grasp it wasn't Bill who set them up for a crashing disappointment. It was a gaggle of football pundits and mediots looking to fill space.

I'd have liked to have gotten A 1st for Cassel, but getting out from under his tag 48 hours into FA was worth a 2-3 slot discount... I had no idea Vrabel would go but if I had I wouldn't have expected compensation, more like veteran locker room backlash...so that part of the deal worked for me too. If Bill felt that step he'd lost wasn't going to return with a healthier shoulder, I can live without any more of his NFLPA whines in the run up to the uncapped season too... He gets the full final year of his deal and someone else pays for it. Win-win.

You don't pull any punches, do you? :D

I don't know much, but Cassel is goin from Moss to a young D.Bowe, lucky cat.

Hear, hear.....

I was equally impressed with Chris's work...but that's only natural since he's a born and bred Patsfans.com original.

I am equally unimpressed with Curran's hit piece mainly because from the start he's using a COMPLETE FALSEHOOD as THE underpinning of his attack, to wit, that TWO FIRSTS were gotten for Matt Schaub...uh...W-R-O-N-G...that would be two SECOND ROUND PICKS...thank you for the GIGO exercise Tommy...

then there's this afternoon on EEI with "I AM the Mayor!!!!!" Butch Stearns....he's having HUGE problems with what the Patriots got in this deal...here's a 2nd rate talking radiohead, struggling to keep his mealy mouthed head above water, once again claiming HE speaks for all Patriot fans and blasting the organization for conducting THEIR business as they see fit. He may well represent the legion of scary little Marys that populate Patriot Fan Nation but as far as I'm concerned his opinions on the New England Patriot franchise are no more meaningful than a piece of used toilet paper.

Yes, it IS very good to see a Chris Price making his bones in this morass of idiocy, and with his skill and intelligence he should go far.I ,for one, certainly hope so.

I had no idea Vrabel would go but if I had I wouldn't have expected compensation, more like veteran locker room backlash...so that part of the deal worked for me too. If Bill felt that step he'd lost wasn't going to return with a healthier shoulder, I can live without any more of his NFLPA whines in the run up to the uncapped season too... He gets the full final year of his deal and someone else pays for it. Win-win.

Yah, Vrabes and the rest of the Union multi-millionaires whining that Kraft needs to share Patriots Place revenues...it's not their net worths that were mortgaged at risk to finance PP whose success or failure is in doubt.

I'm a big Vrabes football fan thankfull for his years of contributions and wish him well. Great family man too as I understand and respect if so. The player rep parroting NFPLA tripe I can do without.

Last edited:
I don't believe in conspiracy theories either. Good piece.

Perfect. the Patriots have compensation, money and the rest of the off season to execute their plan.

They do not care what anyone thinks about what number pick they received, they got out and are loaded for bear.

Love Vrabel and thanks. He and Bruschi are both outmoded, it's just a matter of who made more and leaving a mentor for the new linebacker corps. Two top talents acquired ( I predict) means the UDFAs compete for backup and Special teams as they should. Bruschi may or may not last the year.

Very well put. I agree wholeheartedly

On its own, the deal looks like a one-sided swap. But seen within the overall context of New England’s team-building approach, chances are very good that it will work out in the Patriots’ favor.

I'm starting to develop theories that make this trade very acceptable and they all revolve around Vrabel. This one makes is perfectly okay.

If they released him, then there was a chance that either the Browns, Dolphins, Jets, Cowboys and Broncos would be interested in him. This theory alone satisfies me. Frankly stated, I would rather the Pats give Mike Vrabel to a team than allow him to sign with the Brown (and Mangini) or the divisional foes Dolphins and Jets. If I had a second tier of teams I wouldn't want him to play for, the Cowboys and Broncos would probably be on it. For him to go to KC is neutral to me.

I think people tend to forget that Cassel essentially had veto power over any trade. Any team interested in him would only trade for him if they could sign him and he could easily tell them to beat it.

The point is that while looking for a trading partner, they also had to do right by Cassel. Cassel likely had two preferences. KC with Pioli or Denver with McDaniels. The complication with Denver was that they'd need to find a trading partner for Cutler and BB probably didn't see that happening in the time frame he was looking for. In the end, maybe Denver and Tampa did make a proposal but it came after BB and Pioli had a verbal agreement. While a verbal agreement may not be technically binding, when it comes between to close friends it pretty much is.

As for Vrabel, they probably told him he would be released and gave him the option of free agency or finishing out his current contract in KC. Since his current deal was more than he'd be able to receive as a free agent, he chose KC. It was a classy move.

It boggles my mind why more people can't connect the dots when it comes to Belichick. They seem to misrepresent or misunderstand EVERYTHING he does.

Last edited:
The one thing that truly confuses me is, why the rush?

I suppose Vrabes could have landed the wrong place, had he been cut. Eh. But if there was a trade possibly revolving around getting the Pats a 1 for Cassel, and it fell through (as we are postulating,) isn't it possible there would be other such offers over, oh let's say, a couple hundred more days???

This is what makes me think there is some other shoe left to drop. I'll be wondering until draft day is over.

PFnV

Hey everyone ... thanks for the support on the column. I got a bunch of e-mails this morning from people who KILLED me, saying this was a horrible deal, and I had no idea what I was talking about. Here's one, unedited:

when have the patriots picked a decent 2nd rounder lately.do you guys even research be fore yoy open your traps. YOUR ARTICLE ,FOR LACK OF A BETER WORD, STUPID!!!!!

don

I then politely reminded Don that the Patriots had their share of second-round stinkers, but there was also Terrence Wheatley, Deion Branch and Matt Light, as well as second-round picks they turned into Wes Welker and Corey Dillon. That's what I've had to deal with this weekend.....

The key for me is that people cannot look at this deal as an isolated incident. It's part of a larger approach. And when you figure in all the extra cash, more draft picks and the fact that it now appears they are confident that Brady is good to go, it's a good move.

Sure thats not the issue.. The issue is compensation.. we should have received more. maybe not the 3rd pick in the draft but definitely a #2 or 3 next year..

Culpepper blown knee and all netted the Vikings a 2nd rounder.. Feeley, 2nd rouder.. Hell Schuab who had less playing time brought in two second rounders..

Bottom line is Cheifs made out better.. Much better.. We added a early 2nd round pick, a round we have a history in failing with (lately)

I actually don't have a big problem with Cassel for the #34 (almost a 1st rounder).

What confuses me is why they lumped Vrabel in with the trade. Some say we were going to cut him anyway and this prevents him from going somewhere we don't want him to. Perhaps, but if we were going to lump him in, we should have at least picked up a 5th rounder or something.

The trade was bad in my opinion. I can understand why BB might of felt it was necessary, but we got the raw end of the deal from a pure value perspective. There's no rose tinted glasses that can change that.

...Butch Stearns....he's having HUGE problems with what the Patriots got in this deal...here's a 2nd rate talking radiohead...

So when did Stearns get promoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye