PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No cake walk next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reality Check #1: The Ravens do NOT have a weak pass rush. They are averaging 3+ sacks per game for the last 10 games including the playoffs.

Reality Check #2: The Ravens O-line as it is currently manned has never played before the Playoffs started. They are currently playing the best 5 players available since McKinney has rounded into game shape. They have held to allow 1 sack in two games and average of 160 yards rushing per game. The number 1 sack attack in the league was shutout in regulation time.. zero sacks.. zero hits..

Reality Check #3: The Ravens defense is NOT old. There are only 3 players over 30 and two of them are rated as the best to ever play at their position..

More to come..

I think, although the defensive unit as a whole is not that old, several key players are. Besides, the bigger problem with the Ravens' defense is health.

Yeah, they did well against the Broncos, but unlike Manning, I doubt Brady will be broadcasting the snap count and not changing it up so the Ravens can get a jump.

They will not rush for 160 on the pats. And the 3 oldest the best to play their position? Yeah in their prime which was years ago. Why do people bring this up. All their stats ect. Why not send Montana back out there..he is one of the best to ever play the position..i am sure he could still play at a high level :bricks:

Um.. why won't they rush for 160 against the Pats ? They are averaging about 180 over the last 5 games...

My reference to the the resume of the 'old players' was to give some balance.. they may be 'old' but they are the best ever at their position.. that counts for something I think.. I will take an 'old' Ed Reed over anybody you got at Safety.. :)

Ray has 17 tackles against Denver and 13 against the Colts.. I think he can still hang.. :)

Anyway.. now that I have debunked 3 Myths.. I believe I am doing my job.

I think, although the defensive unit as a whole is not that old, several key players are. Besides, the bigger problem with the Ravens' defense is health.

Yeah, they did well against the Broncos, but unlike Manning, I doubt Brady will be broadcasting the snap count and not changing it up so the Ravens can get a jump.

Name the several players that are 'old'.

As for health.. Suggs had 10 Tackles 2 Sacks and 1 PD a couple days ago.. not bad for probably the least healthy player on the defense at this point..

Ray is as fresh as a daisy after being out 8 weeks.. that might make up for any age issues..

:)

Um.. why won't they rush for 160 against the Pats ? They are averaging about 180 over the last 5 games...

My reference to the the resume of the 'old players' was to give some balance.. they may be 'old' but they are the best ever at their position.. that counts for something I think.. I will take an 'old' Ed Reed over anybody you got at Safety.. :)

Ray has 17 tackles against Denver and 13 against the Colts.. I think he can still hang.. :)

See, here's the problem. You haven't debunked 3 myths.

1.) Sacks is not synonymous with pass rush

2.) Being rated as once having been one of the best at your position doesn't magically mean you're not over 30 or playing old/injured

3) The line argument is meaningless for precisely the same reason you're pimping it: ridiculously small sample size.

You need a reality check on your own opinions.

Reality Check #3: The Ravens defense is NOT old. There are only 3 players over 30 and two of them are rated as the best to ever play at their position..

More to come..

I could have sworn that the announcers even went as far as pointing out the fact that Baltimore has the oldest defense in the league during Saturday's game. Living in Pittsburgh, this surprised me since I am always hearing locally about the age of the Steeler defense.

Not saying that they are always right, but maybe that's where some of these thoughts come from.

Or..I could also be hearing things too.

How do Suggs and Ray feel about covering one of the Patriot scat backs out of the backfield?

(Woodhead/Vereen)

Reality Check #1: The Ravens do NOT have a weak pass rush. They are averaging 3+ sacks per game for the last 10 games including the playoffs.

Reality Check #2: The Ravens O-line as it is currently manned has never played before the Playoffs started. They are currently playing the best 5 players available since McKinney has rounded into game shape. They have held to allow 1 sack in two games and average of 160 yards rushing per game. The number 1 sack attack in the league was shutout in regulation time.. zero sacks.. zero hits..

More to come..

The problem with reality check number two is that Vince Wilfork destroyed your interior OL in 2011 and they were having issues with him this year even though the replacement refs were letting the Ravens get away with a ton of holding.

I don't think that it's much of a secret that teams tend to gameplan around the premise of the downfield pass vs this defense, due to our weakness there and obvious strength vs the run.

I doubt that Baltimore runs for 160 personally, and I think they'll have more success through the air actually.

How do Suggs and Ray feel about covering one of the Patriot scat backs out of the backfield?

(Woodhead/Vereen)

This is one of the reasons why I actually feel more confident in this game than I did vs Houston again. The Ravens defense will have their hands full.

See, here's the problem. You haven't debunked 3 myths.

1.) Sacks is not synonymous with pass rush

2.) Being rated as once having been one of the best at your position doesn't magically mean you're not over 30 or playing old/injured

3) The line argument is meaningless for precisely the same reason you're pimping it: ridiculously small sample size.

You need a reality check on your own opinions.

My sample size regarding O-Line play is 2 playoff games with said O-Line.. what is yours ? :)

Sacks is not synonymous with Pass Rush.. Oh ok.. please provide the evidence that the Ravens Pass Rush is WEAK.. I got 3 sacks 5 hits, 2 QB fumbles in the 2nd Half against Peyton Manning.. the 2nd least sacked QB ove the Regular season.. and I got 2.5 sacks and 5 QB hits from ONE player against the Colts...

I am very happy with the Ravens pass rush.. actually I am salivating to see how your O-Line handles Kruger and Suggs now that T-Sizzle has got back a bit of his sizzle..

My sample size regarding O-Line play is 2 playoff games with said O-Line.. what is yours ? :)

I hadn't commented on it, so mine would be irrelevant. The fact that yours is on too small a sample size to be particularly meaningful is relevant, though.

Sacks is not synonymous with Pass Rush.. Oh ok.. please provide the evidence that the Ravens Pass Rush is WEAK.. I got 3 sacks 5 hits, 2 QB fumbles in the 2nd Half against Peyton Manning.. the 2nd least sacked QB ove the Regular season.. and I got 2.5 sacks and 5 QB hits from ONE player against the Colts...

Pressures matter, hits matter, how many times they happen with/without blitzes matter. You've debunked nothing, and I have no need to provide evidence that the Ravens rush is weak for that to be the case.

I am very happy with the Ravens pass rush.. actually I am salivating to see how your O-Line handles Kruger and Suggs now that T-Sizzle has got back a bit of his sizzle..

That's fine. Just don't pretend that you're debunking myths when you're doing nothing of the kind.

From a Baltimore Sun writer:

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ray Lewis allowed eight catches for 97 yards against Broncos on eight passes targeted in his area, according to Pro Football Focus.

Explains part of where all those tackles came from..

From a Baltimore Sun writer:

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ray Lewis allowed eight catches for 97 yards against Broncos on eight passes targeted in his area, according to Pro Football Focus.

Explains part of where all those tackles came from..

If that's the case, then he's going to have a giant bullseye on him with Brady. Though, for whatever reason, Lewis always seems to step his game up when he's playing #12.

If that's the case, then he's going to have a giant bullseye on him with Brady. Though, for whatever reason, Lewis always seems to step his game up when he's playing #12.

At this stage of their careers and Lewis;s being a HOFer Spikes is better in coverage.:scared::D

So does Suggs

More to come..

Ok.

#1: Those sacks are a result of blitzing. Look up Brady's numbers vs the blitz. In fact the only game I can recall you guys heavily blitzing Brady is in the 2009 playoff game where Brady had lost Welker and the Ravens had no respect for his receivers (rightfully so). I don't see to many hits or sacks on Brady this week. I see you guys dropping 7-8 like you normally do.

#2: Solid point. But Denver and Indy don't really have big interior guys that can get pressure. Both teams rely on outside pass rush and the defensive fronts are smaller. The Pats have the inside guys to get pressure on Flacco inside forcing him out of the pocket, where he is hit or miss. This will be a very interesting and important part of Sunday's game.

#3: I don't care how old the entire defense is, your best players are older or not playing very well at the moment. Ngata has not been able to stuff the inside run, Lewis although smart and normally in the correct area seems to be arriving a step to late. Suggs hasn't been his normal disruptive self since his injury. And Reed simply isn't the same guy he used to be.

In the two playoff games the Ravens have allowed 817 yards and 44 points. I understand the Broncos had 14 points in the Return game. However that goes both ways what would have happened if Manning had those two drives they might be close to 500 yards? Not to mention the Ravens played against a rookie QB leading a very young offense on the road who couldn't get it done in the redzone. Credit the Ravens but it does make it a little less impressive when you look at 419 yards allowed to the Colts.

Don't take it the wrong way I think this will be a tough game like it usually is. However, this isn't a typical Ravens defense.

Last edited:
Who are pitt fans rooting for? Asteroid?

I hope its cold and windy!!!

Our running game and short passing game should be fine but Flacco's lob passes will be impacted by wind!

Who are pitt fans rooting for? Asteroid?

Most the ones I know rooted for us last year (at least that's what they say) and probably will again this year. My guess is Bmore is as unlikeable to most fan bases as they are to us.

Name the several players that are 'old'.

As for health.. Suggs had 10 Tackles 2 Sacks and 1 PD a couple days ago.. not bad for probably the least healthy player on the defense at this point..

Ray is as fresh as a daisy after being out 8 weeks.. that might make up for any age issues..

Ray Lewis who is amassing great stats in the playoffs while playing like hot garbage. Ed Reed who is really only doing mostly the latter (at least on Saturday).

Suggs should have done really well. When people at home could decipher Manning's snap count, Suggs should have too. Suggs at 20% could have at least a decent game if he can get a jump on the ball when he knows when the ball is going to be snapped before it is snapped. Suggs hasn't had a sack since November prior to this game.

The Ravens could win this Sunday, but let's not confusing Manning peeing down his leg with the Broncos being a strong offense on Saturday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back