Welcome to PatsFans.com

No Bailout in Sight for Auto Makers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Nov 14, 2008.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Up until this afternoon, I was ok with the big 3 going belly up. But then I started to think about US auto sales and what they actually mean to our economy.

I don't know what the combined revenues of the big 3 are, but let's assume it's $25 billion. Almost 100% of domestic auto sales dollars stay in the US. If they all go belly-up, then 90% of that same $25 billion will be exported dollars never to be spent on US goods and services. That money will never be used to pay workers for jobs or be re-invested in our economy.

I think in these difficult times, that risk may be too great.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Peak Oil... oh, nevermind...

anyhow, sorry... but they should be left to die... there is no money left...

this country needs to bottom out, not send more money after failing institutions... this all sounds like chowing on broccoli after being diagnosed with cancer...

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

The part in bold above, I've been saying that for months. No one seems to believe the best thing we can do is very little...unless we decide we don't like capitalism.

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't want to help them if major changes aren't made. Less emissions and better gas mileage would be ideal; but their union must come to terms with the fact that they are overpaid. If the workers won't accept pay commensurate to what Toyota and Honda pay auto workers to assemble cars in Ohio, and what Saturn pays, then the big 3 will never be able to compete and any money we give them will be wasted.

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If GM falls so many people lose jobs, not just auto workers but all the supplier companies.