Welcome to PatsFans.com

No Bailed out for US automakers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Nov 14, 2008.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

UPDATE 1-U.S. automakers bailout outlook in doubt-senator | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +211 / 3 / -10

3. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

we have to wait UNTIL monday;)

UPDATE 2-U.S. Senate to take up auto bailout on Monday | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +211 / 3 / -10

If the auto industry fails, we can be sure to end up in a depression. That's just how important/big that industry is to our GDP. I believe domestic auto sails represent about 3-4% of out GDP.

Hey, we may end up in a depression regardless.

Remember, depression just means a longer and deeper recession. It does NOT mean things have to get as bad as the "great depression" or even look similar to it.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  5. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure if we can hang on to it. It doesn't take long to go from 'depression' to 'great depression'.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +211 / 3 / -10

If we are spiritual at all, now would be a good time to ask for help. It's out of our hands.
  7. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

who do we ask when we are broke?
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +211 / 3 / -10

lol! Personally, I always like the saying "Work as if it all depends upon us and pray knowing it depends upon God"
  9. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

As long as we continue to wash our hands of our terrible education system, we can't expect to compete with Japan in technology manufacturing.

If it can't stand on it's own, how exactly does it represent any % of GDP? This is more of what Shiff talks about when he says that it isn't "real growth." People aren't buying American cars and when they are, they are leasing them beyond their ability which is the same as taking out loans you can't afford meaning that it's all just smoke and mirrors.

If you go even deeper, what competitive advantage does America have that should warrant it keeping the same huge economy it's been propping up for years? I can't think of one except the military, which is just a frightening thought.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

Honda and Toyota are making money building cars in the US. They don't have the UAW as a millstone around their necks however...
  11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

They also make a superior product, as sales show. Blame the unions though if that's easier for you to rationalize.

And as soon as America's debt catches up to it's consumption, and it's starting to, they will suffer also, and are.
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +211 / 3 / -10

Exactly! He was talking about producing real goods and services that result in real prosperity. We are slowly undergoing an adjustment in the real values of our goods and services.

Look for plasma's/LCD's to all sell for under $1,500 in 2 years and most will be under $1,000. We're also going to have to somehow adjust our wages downward. Primarilly, from the top, down. You can't have an economy contract without either;

A. People unemployed
    B. Lower wages
    OR
    C. Both

The thing about our economy is we are on our way to permanent contraction, not a temporary one like most recessions. Since everything was over-inflated, we have to get back to real values on everything.
  13. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The reason US automakers are in this situation is they purchased sub mortgate loans. If it is true, they deserve it.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Is there anything at all you are knowledgeable about?
  15. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

does he answer your prayer?
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I guess the other industry we have a competitive advantage in would be entertainment, but that's certainly not enough to prop up an entire enormous economy.

An entertainment and military-based economy is an Orwellian spectacle I don't even want to imagine, but I just can't see how the US could naturally compete in any other industry.

I'm not entirely opposed to certain tariffs though, if the US stops throwing it's weight around through the WTO to break them down in other countries. I'm pretty sure that the consumption-sickness that comes from years of arrogant, unrestricted capitalism is about to fade or we are seriously screwed. American ingenuity is what built the economy up and unfortunately, that ingenuity has been replaced with over-consumption and worthless production.
  17. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

NEPatriot aka Sgt. Schultz
    [​IMG]
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

New US cars are very good also, however the cost basis for these cars are vastly different. Toyota makes $1500 selling a Corolla made in America, Ford is lucky to break even selling a Focus... The difference Union vs non Union labor.

A MAlibu is just as good as a Accord or Camry, the Japanese cars do have a better rep.
  19. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

:confused:

Sales do not equal Quality. The fact of the matter is unions don't allow competitiveness internationally. The average American car worker costs (not take hom), $73 an hour compared to about $40 for Toyota.

Me, I buy American but I don't buy new cars too often. I currently have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that I bought new and haven't had a single problem with it. Too bad they don't make them anymore :rolleyes:
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

I don't think the UAW is the sole reason that the Big 3 are in trouble, but I do think that they're a sizable part of their problem. Gross mismanagement & a sh!tty product are the other two reasons.