PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ninkovich on the 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefmblrd

Dependability is more important than ability. -BB
Reaction score
Although I realize it's a longshot, I've had this sense throughout training camp that Ninkovich will make the 53. Here are some some of my observations:

He has a good motor.
He does a good job at setting the edge. Keeps his inside shoulder in the correct relation to the blocker in most cases and forces things inside when that's his responsibility.
He can put pressure on the passer.
He can play special teams.

According to PFW In Progress:
He is a back up long snapper.
He can play tight end.
He can play inside linebacker.

Possibly a developing Vrabel-type player?

As I said, it's a longshot, but I'd like to see him make it.

I did read on another thread here, that he has PS eligibility as well.

Nice player, but right now he would be behind TBC/Burgess or AD/Woods. His chance would seem to be instead of Crable. But Crable does not make PS, and he might. I see him on the PS.

Not willing to go Vrabel-type, but I'd not be surprised to see him on 53. Not exactly certain who'd be on the outs...

This Reiss prediction seems fair enough.

Final roster projection - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I'd guess if Ninko makes the 53 it would be instead of either Wendell (OL) or BJGE (RB) - less likely - or even Crable.

Interesting. Reiss just added Ninkovich to his 53.

One correction on my original post: it wasn't PFW in Progress, it was the Patriots Roster Report with Paul Perillo.

Ninkovich at ILB?

He can play tight end.
I keep reading about Ninkovich playing ILB, and apparently PFW is now reporting it as well. Did I miss something? When did this happen? I was under the impression Ninkovich was either a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE - but not an ILB.

Re: Ninkovich at ILB?

I keep reading about Ninkovich playing ILB, and apparently PFW is now reporting it as well. Did I miss something? When did this happen? I was under the impression Ninkovich was either a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE - but not an ILB.

Don't know if you'd find him even playing much OLB. Maybe in preseason with the Dolphins one year.

I just corrected my source; it was the Patriots Roster Report with Paul Perillo and Eric Scalavino (Friday afternoon). I know they are part of PFW in Progress too, but I wanted to get my source correct.

Although I realize it's a longshot, I've had this sense throughout training camp that Ninkovich will make the 53. Here are some some of my observations:

He has a good motor.
He does a good job at setting the edge. Keeps his inside shoulder in the correct relation to the blocker in most cases and forces things inside when that's his responsibility.

He can play tight end.

Ninkovich did a heck of a job setting the edge against Brandon Jacobs.

If Ninkovich can truly be a back up at ILB, then that would be a good thing for him and the Pats. Granted, he'd be behind Alexander at ILB, but he showed good ability as an OLB against the Giants as well.

He has a good motor.

He can play tight end.

I loved Ninkovich against the Giants' first-stringers. He made some good plays, and really stood out all around. At this point, I wouldn't have any problem with him beating out Crable for a roster spot.

Last edited:
I also would have no problem with him making it ahead of Crable. We (fans, not the Patriots) just have so little to go on with Crable, that it's hard to predict. Ninkovich certainly didn't do his chances any harm against the Giants.

I also would have no problem with him making it ahead of Crable. We (fans, not the Patriots) just have so little to go on with Crable, that it's hard to predict. Ninkovich certainly didn't do his chances any harm against the Giants.

crable needed the reps of an entire training camp in order for him to have a shot.......he'll probably be PUP'd, but I doubt you'll ever see him do much for the pats

I know things can change quickly this time of year, but for now it looks like Ninkovich is on the 53.

Bill see something in Ninko.In Bill we trust.

My 2c on this is that I think he is more of a hybrid DE/OLB along the lines of TBC and Burgess. FWIW, his size is right in their ballpark.

If we are switching to predominantly 4-3, he would provide depth at that spot and might be a better early down option at RDE than either of them if Green gets hurt or is unproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down