PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ninkovich and Crable

Status
Not open for further replies.
WR is good.....for this year....

come next years FA, WR will be a need once again, thats not MY definition of "set" but to each his own
Only if Edelman improves, Tate brings something, Welker returns and Holt can still play. The can be good but they have a ton of question marks.

IMHO, we are set for this year.

For 2011, we will have Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price and probably one of Moss or Holt. In addition, we will likely have a 2011 free agent and draftee. That's not exactly a mess. It is quite true that we are not "set" for 2011. But there are several reasonable possbilities.

WR is good.....for this year....

come next years FA, WR will be a need once again, thats not MY definition of "set" but to each his own

Only if Edelman improves, Tate brings something, Welker returns and Holt can still play. The can be good but they have a ton of question marks.

yea, but for how it looked at the beginning of FA, its a heck of a lot better

IMHO, we are set for this year.

For 2011, we will have Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price and probably one of Moss or Holt. In addition, we will likely have a 2011 free agent and draftee. That's not exactly a mess. It is quite true that we are not "set" for 2011. But there are several reasonable possbilities.

i dont see either Moss or Holt here next year....itll be tate and price at the outsides (maybe edelman) w/ welker in the slot, and i do not trust FA WR's very much, lol

You didn't say a game. You said snaps in regular season games over his career with the Patriots. Bad bet all around as you can't win for years because Crable could always get cut, play with Ratgini for 8 years, then come back to the Pats, much as TBC's Patriots career didn't end when he left for the 49ers.

But how about if the loser sends a couple hundred bucks to the Bread of Life Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry.
Home

Help a good cause.

OK. So I did a search on the forum and found that there are 25 threads with the name Crable in it that mgteich has contributed to, but only 5 that he has actually started - though all of them have been in the past 4 months.

So first of all, some apology is in order to mg for mocking you on this thread. It seems that only recently you've been on this little kick using Crable's name as a tool to make your point.

With regard to the bet, I do think the Soup Kitchen is a good cause. Couple of hundred bucks is a little rich for my blood, but I definitely will send them something (50-100 bucks) should I lose the bet. Just to be clear, the snaps cannot be in the preseason and have to be on defense (as opposed to special teams or offense). I realize I didn't specify this earlier, but it's what I meant and if we're going to formalize this bet, we should have some more structure around it. If Crable gets cut before playing enough snaps and is picked up by another team, you lose the bet and have to pay up. If he then comes back several years later and plays here, I will pay up as well.

I think Tate brings something in the return game. I don;t know about the base offense. I would hope with Holt and Moss on the outside and Edelman in the slot, we should use a TE or two or Faulk instead of the 4th WR.

I'm willing to bet a significant amount of money that the number of threads started by mgteich with the word "Crable" in the title will be higher than the number of regular season snaps Shawn Crable takes for the Patriots in his career. Any takers?

OK. So I did a search on the forum and found that there are 25 threads with the name Crable in it that mgteich has contributed to, but only 5 that he has actually started - though all of them have been in the past 4 months.

So first of all, some apology is in order to mg for mocking you on this thread. It seems that only recently you've been on this little kick using Crable's name as a tool to make your point.

With regard to the bet, I do think the Soup Kitchen is a good cause. Couple of hundred bucks is a little rich for my blood, but I definitely will send them something (50-100 bucks) should I lose the bet. Just to be clear, the snaps cannot be in the preseason and have to be on defense (as opposed to special teams or offense). I realize I didn't specify this earlier, but it's what I meant and if we're going to formalize this bet, we should have some more structure around it. If Crable gets cut before playing enough snaps and is picked up by another team, you lose the bet and have to pay up. If he then comes back several years later and plays here, I will pay up as well.
We had structuture. It was Crable's career, but I understand why you wouldn't want that. Still, it was the fact that I could win the bet in Sept but would lose it as long as there was a chance Crable could come back to the Pats like TBC or somebody.

But for $50, I will modify your original offering to regular season snaps this year, as long as you stop the thread count at it's current level (5).

So if Crable takes fewer than five regular season defensive snaps (does not include kickoffs and punt plays), I'll send $50 to Bread of Life.

If he takes 5 or more regular season snaps with the Pats this year you send $50 to Bread of Life.

Actually, I just sent Bread of Live $50, so I am covered if I lose. If I win, send them your $50 and they get a hundred.

But if I win I get 50 bucks worth of Crable bragging rights.

We had structuture. It was Crable's career, but I understand why you wouldn't want that. Still, it was the fact that I could win the bet in Sept but would lose it as long as there was a chance Crable could come back to the Pats like TBC or somebody.

But for $50, I will modify your original offering to regular season snaps this year, as long as you stop the thread count at it's current level (5).

So if Crable takes fewer than five regular season defensive snaps (does not include kickoffs and punt plays), I'll send $50 to Bread of Life.

If he takes 5 or more regular season snaps with the Pats this year you send $50 to Bread of Life.

Actually, I just sent Bread of Live $50, so I am covered if I lose. If I win, send them your $50 and they get a hundred.

But if I win I get 50 bucks worth of Crable bragging rights.

Well the only reason I wanted to change it is because it sounds like you'd be happy to wait until Crable's career was completely over in order to pay up. But if you're saying you've already paid up, then the deal is fine as is. Crable doesn't even have to play 5 snaps this year. If he somehow ends up on IR again and plays next year, you still win. I just don't think BB will do that again. He'll either make the team or he doesn't. So we'll go with the rules you established. Crable needs to play 5 or more defensive snaps in the regular season or playoffs this year for you to win.

Put me down for Cunningham and Guyton for starting OLB's after the bye.

Well the only reason I wanted to change it is because it sounds like you'd be happy to wait until Crable's career was completely over in order to pay up. But if you're saying you've already paid up, then the deal is fine as is. Crable doesn't even have to play 5 snaps this year. If he somehow ends up on IR again and plays next year, you still win. I just don't think BB will do that again. He'll either make the team or he doesn't. So we'll go with the rules you established. Crable needs to play 5 or more defensive snaps in the regular season or playoffs this year for you to win.
sounds good.

Hope he does better than the last LB draftee I fell in love with (Oscar Lua)

I was impressed with what I saw from Ninkovich last season. He always seemed to be around the ball. When he was in there he showed me that he could set the edge at OLB and also get into coverage. He is also a strong STer. I'm not saying he's going to turn into the next Mike Vrabel, but I think there's a chance he can have an impact on our defense this season.

As for Crable...who knows, but I sure would love to see him come in and become the player I'd hoped he would be.

Put me down for Cunningham and Guyton for starting OLB's after the bye.

Guyton doesn't have the size to be an OLB in a 3-4.

4-3 maybe but hes still suspect when people are going at him in the running game.

Guyton doesn't have the size to be an OLB in a 3-4.

4-3 maybe but hes still suspect when people are going at him in the running game.

I've always stubbornly clung to the idea that one day he would play OLB for us. He has the length, the quickness, and the frame to add some pounds. He needs to bulk up a bit (preferably not Brian Cushing style) and he would fit the 'prototype' BB alludes to. There's also the never ending question of whether Belichick will go back to more of a 4-3 base defense.

Guyton is just as much a liability against the run as an ILB as he would be on the outside IMO. (I know he sucked at setting the edge when asked to do so before, but that was then and this is now). Unless Spikes or McKenzie are injured, if Guyton wants to win a job as a long-term starter on this team, it's gonna have to be at OLB.

Guyton is just as much a liability against the run as an ILB as he would be on the outside IMO.
Which is probably why he shouldn't start on this team, at any position.

We have a bingo!

Guyton was a fine pickup, and is very valuable as an ILB on passing downs, and as a backup as a starter.

Word.

As I wrote in the McK thread, I feel that Guyton's best role is as STer & backup WILB.

And as I also wrote in the McK thread, I feel that Ninko doesn't physically measure-up as a contributor at OLB, but could be a poss. convert to SILB.

As for Chicken Legs, I am expecting more production out of Bruce Davis than out of him...and I'm not expecting anything out of Davis. How in the world could Bill have chosen this stiff instead of Cliff Avril?

Our OLB situation is a fetid, unforgivably neglected pile of crap...and that includes the well-over-drafted Cunningham.

Word.As I wrote in the McK thread, I feel that Guyton's best role is as STer & backup WILB.
He's a coverage LB at best ala Kevin Burnett when he was with Dallas.
As for Chicken Legs, I am expecting more production out of Bruce Davis than out of him...and I'm not expecting anything out of Davis. How in the world could Bill have chosen this stiff instead of Cliff Avril?
I also couldn't believe they chose Wheatley over Terrell Thomas. That pick still bothers me.
Our OLB situation is a fetid, unforgivably neglected pile of crap...and that includes the well-over-drafted Cunningham.
When the Pats roster was at it's strongest (2003-2004) their only position that need to be addressed was LB and CB because they were getting long in the tooth. They were in a unique situation in today's NFL were they hardly had any weaknesses and should've been easy to address. However, they waited until their core players left or didn't have anything left in the tank to start rebuilding that position.

So here they are today with one of the worst (if not the worst) LB's in the NFL. The only team that I can think of that can challenge the Pats for worst LB's in the NFL are the Denver Broncos.

But to be fair, there are many teams in the NFL that refuse to address needs such as the Ravens with their sh*tty secondary. If it weren't for their aggressive scheme, I think they'd have a pretty bad defense.

Last edited:
So, in 2003 and 2004, we had glaring weaknesses at CB and LB.

Now, we have a single glaring weakness at OLB, at this point in the offseason. We could still trade for a player, or sign one or two.

In any case, it is a great position to be in, having only one glaring weakness. Obviously, we always have positions that could use improvement.

He's a coverage LB at best ala Kevin Burnett when he was with Dallas.

I also couldn't believe they chose Wheatley over Terrell Thomas. That pick still bothers me.

When the Pats roster was at it's strongest (2003-2004) their only glaring weakness was at CB and LB. They were in a unique situation in today's NFL were they hardly had any weaknesses and should've been easy to address. However, they waited until their core players left or didn't have anything left in the tank to start rebuilding that position.

So here they are today with one of the worst (if not the worst) LB's in the NFL. The only team that I can think of that can challenge the Pats for worst LB's in the NFL are the Denver Broncos.

But to be fair, there are many teams in the NFL that refuse to address needs such as the Ravens with their sh*tty secondary. If it weren't for their aggressive scheme, I think they'd have a pretty bad defense.

Now, we have a single glaring weakness at OLB, at this point in the offseason. We could still trade for a player, or sign one or two.
There's almost never any worthwhile OLBs on the trade block or sitting around in free agency. You pretty much have to draft and develop them.

So, in 2003 and 2004, we had glaring weaknesses at CB and LB.

In any case, it is a great position to be in, having only one glaring weakness. Obviously, we always have positions that could use improvement.
I need to make a correction on my original post. In 2003-2004 they were getting long in the tooth at LB and CB and the Pats should've started looking for replacements then.

I understood that.

I need to make a correction on my original post. In 2003-2004 they were getting long in the tooth at LB and CB and the Pats should've started looking for replacements then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes