Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, May 31, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it | Environment | The Observer

Came across this today, never had read about what is happening to the people of Nigeria. Since the suffering is in Africa no one cares. Horrible.

There is a lot of finger pointing hard to know who is guilty, probably everyone.

2. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It appears Nigeria's problems are self-caused or at the very least self-ignored, while ours was an accident which is not being ignored! Plus the American economy affects the entire world economy while Nigeria... not so much!

3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

While the Nigerian people are not in a position to help themselves due to a corrupt (?) government and the neglect of the oil companies civilized people should insist the oil companies clean up thier messes. They don't deserve to suffer like this.

4. TBradyOwnsYou

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I certainly agree, I just don't see it becoming a high priority for the UN or anyone else unless it comes with genocide or something else that grabs national attention.

5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +601 / 53 / -9

#75 Jersey

Gee, and I just got an email from the King of Nigeria, telling me I won the lottery.........

6. TBradyOwnsYou

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't believe it unless it's from the Prince!!

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Which one?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

All joking aside....

Here's an incredible revelation and admission by a major oil corporation about their own responsibility in Niger Delta. Contrast this with the BP attitude!

allAfrica.com: Nigeria: Beyond Shell's Apology On Niger Delta

The Vice President of Shell's newly established Ethical Affairs Committee - Bradford Houppe, who made the admittance on behalf of his company, had disclosed that they never knew their activity in the region was bringing poverty to the people.

Expressing his feeling, Houppe had admitted that "we never knew that we were bringing them impoverishment, conflict, abuse, and deprivation. Now we know". He continued, "Shell acknowledges that it is responsible for large scale oil spills, waste dumping and gas flaring. Our failure to deal with these spills swiftly and the lack of effective clean-up greatly exacerbate their human rights and environmental impact, and that is wrong, it is just really wrong."

Explaining further, Bradford in what appears to be an unusual behavior of corporate executives had disclosed, quite honestly, why his company had carried on with such impunity. According to him "We thought these people didn't know what was good for them". For once, it is good to know the mindset of corporate giants like Shell, and why they do what they are doing or did!

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +842 / 27 / -33

Somebody is listening to that pill popping, high living wife swapper... Rush Limbaugh.

11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The fact that you know that proves that he's not the only one.

Anyway, are you contesting the veracity of the statement? Or are you just mentioning the source is Rush Limbaugh for no real purpose?

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +842 / 27 / -33

God you are so tiring and live off of feeble arguments, Google can be your friend.. thanks for stalking though..

Oil Disaster Spreads; Obama Offers More Talk, Commissions, Lawyers

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Actually I work when Rush is on the Air and BTW I posted this link to the article in the British newspaper the day before Limbaugh brought up the topic,

epic fail as usual.

15. pherein

pherein In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 4 / -2

With All Due Respect, and I think we have all seen "Talladega Nights"
    YouTube - Talladega Nights With All Due Respect

I do not see how one disaster is better or worse than another. I do not see how they relate at all. We can not control Nigeria, so low balling and american disaster that we have the ability to fix, makes no sense to me. Its like saying " the crusades agony dwarfs vietnam". umm ok

With All Due Respect

and its in the geneva Convection :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Nobody is lowballing the current mess in the Gulf. What is shocking about the situation in Nigeria is that NO ATTEMPTS have been made to contain or clean up the land and water after the spills.

Imagine if we just said f'it and didn't try to stop this leak.... That is what is happening to the people in Nigeria, with the complicity of their government.

17. pherein

Ratings:
    +42 / 4 / -2

The good thing about living in America is I don't have to imagine it, I don't believe there is anyway we would not stick together and help each other out.

I do feel for them, but what can be done?

and that brings up other points

So where has this "helping each other" evolved in Nigeria? Where is their national pride? Don't they care for each other? Does the Government care for its people? Are they a democracy or corporate owned? or are they just cattle and incapable of doing anything?

The Gulf is America, and I know it will get done, I am worried about our people and the price all will pay if it is not handled well, and we have the ability to do so.

But how can we solve Nigeria, when it doesn't want to get solved? Do we just throw money at it? I dont know.

Immigrants come to America, legally, looking for a better life. But you also have to wonder why these people don't stay in their country and try to make it a better place, fight for what they believe. What does Nigeria believe? I don't know, but do you think a disaster of this magnitude would be allowed to happen in America? No not for that long.

My point here is can the Nigerian people fix this themselves ? and if they cant and their government is unwilling, well..

because thats what we are doing.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +842 / 27 / -33

Epic fail my azz.. just because it was published first does not minimize the comments of your fave pill popping, high living wife swapper.. the darling of the right.. Rush quoted the Vidal article to add veracity to his argument...

FYI it is becoming a trend, between Caribou Barbie and now Don Young, more and more of the rebublican elite who are disconnected from this tragedy are inserting foot in rectum..

Don Young: Gulf spill 'not an environmental disaster': Alaska Newsreader | adn.com

Caribou Barbie, Don Young and Rush are all making warm and fuzzy with the folks in the Gulf of Mexico..

Dittoheads Rock...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is true and I don't think anyone's really trying to compare our situation with theirs (though there may be some similarities but I digress;))

As to Nigeria, I had no idea all that was going on and when I looked it up I found this, it's an excellent article :Nigeria and Oil ? Global Issues

It goes on to describe how Shell companies have worsened fighting in the Delta and how things became so corrupt. It's a good read:Nigeria and Oil ? Global Issues

20. pherein

Ratings:
    +42 / 4 / -2