PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Saban: I'm not buying the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

National Sports Advisors

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
When this guy wins his first BIG game against a BIG TIME opponent, please do let me know. I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing what a system and roster this guy is building down in Miami. Is this the same guy that has decided to build around Daunte Culpepper instead of Drew Brees? The guy is now 9-8 in his brief 2 year NFL career and hasn't done a damn thing that garners all the attention and lofty predictions that his team and him have been getting. That team is nothing more than a soft-schedule 10-6 or solid 9-7 team. Period. I'm not buying the hype on this guy.

And he has a wimpy replay flag throw.

R

Oh come on, you guys are acting like common trolls. Saban is a very good coach. I absolutely believe the hype. Not throwing the flag in time for someone to actually SEE it is pretty much NO indication of how good a coach he is. That's a real stretch.

patsox23 said:
Oh come on, you guys are acting like common trolls. Saban is a very good coach. I absolutely believe the hype. Not throwing the flag in time for someone to actually SEE it is pretty much NO indication of how good a coach he is. That's a real stretch.

I tend to agree. He is not the best coach in the NFL or even close to that yet, but this is a learning experience for him. Look at BB and the Browns. These things take time.

dont buy the hype, buy a damn bowflex... that was a pathetic throw.

If saban didnt have the BB connection, he would not be this hyped. Jim Mora jr. went to the NFCG his first year, no one was calling him a genius.

National Sports Advisors said:
When this guy wins his first BIG game against a BIG TIME opponent, please do let me know. I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing what a system and roster this guy is building down in Miami. Is this the same guy that has decided to build around Daunte Culpepper instead of Drew Brees? The guy is now 9-8 in his brief 2 year NFL career and hasn't done a damn thing that garners all the attention and lofty predictions that his team and him have been getting. That team is nothing more than a soft-schedule 10-6 or solid 9-7 team. Period. I'm not buying the hype on this guy.
not to mention, the pats threw a game to him last year.

Can anyone see BB pull out the flag, hold it out, take a step hesitantly, drop his arm and raise it again twice, and then lamely waft it 5 feet ?

Has anyone ever seen BB be hesitant and waffling about any decision ?

When I saw that weak performance, it was like Herm Edwards never left the Division.

R

Last edited:
njpatsfan said:
And he has a wimpy replay flag throw.

R

Nick's flick made Dolphin fans sick.

Ick!!

I buy the hype. One game does not a season make. Miami will come back. For chrissake, they started 3-7 last year. I saw some good things from Culpepper as a "game manager". When he was forced to chuck it around he made the usual mistakes. Saban learned an important lesson in this game: Ronnie BRown is his best player, and Culpepper needs to be brought along slowly till he regains confidence in his game and his knee. Of more concern to Miami is their soft secondary. I expected this due to its youth and all the changes. They won't gel till mid season. But to restate, Saban is one heck of coach and it's way to early to gloat.

PonyExpress said:
I buy the hype. One game does not a season make. Miami will come back. For chrissake, they started 3-7 last year. I saw some good things from Culpepper as a "game manager". When he was forced to chuck it around he made the usual mistakes. Saban learned an important lesson in this game: Ronnie BRown is his best player, and Culpepper needs to be brought along slowly till he regains confidence in his game and his knee. Of more concern to Miami is their soft secondary. I expected this due to its youth and all the changes. They won't gel till mid season. But to restate, Saban is one heck of coach and it's way to early to gloat.
why is saban such a good coach?

Saban is a good coach, even maybe a very good one. Let's not go oveboard and place him among the best until he proves his worth.

His name certainly doesn't yet merit mention among Belichick, Parcells, Cowher, Fox, Reid or Dungy. Those are all prove coaches who win year in and year out.

As far as I'm concerned, Saban is in that Lovie Smith/Marvin Lewis group. Respected, high potential coaches from good systems, but unproven commodities.

The announcers suggested Saban needs a "designated flag thrower".

You know what, I can't wait until Saban has to throw that flag again. I bet he rifles it into the refs ear hole. :p

My prediction on Miami was another 9-7 year, with some great wins and some inexplicable losses. Saban still needs a year of seasoning to get his NFL legs under him, but I believe he will. Saban is a good coach because, beyond being a megalomaniac, he can motivate, instruct, spot talent, and organize at a very high level.

Another note: I thought the Miami LBers were very shoddy in this game. I saw nothing from Crowder, who has been getting rave reviews. Also, Polamalu tackled terribly. IMO a very overrated player. Will make the big play on occasion, but tackles poorly and gives up big plays too.

The one thing I'll say about Saban is that his brains seem a little scrambled sometimes. About three or four times a game he gets that Looney Tunes deal going, the one where his head turns bright red and it looks like his forehead is going to blow like a steam engine whistle. When Lehan had that hands-to-face penalty he completely flipped his gourd. I'm not saying a coach can't be intense, but when he gets mad, he looks insane, like he wants to go stick a knife in a telephone pole. Coupled with reports that some players think he's nuts, I'm beginning to wonder if he has what it takes to handle the pressure of being an NFL head coach. Not everyone does.

It seems like so many people here just listen to the talking heads, and reguritate what they hear, because I don't know what the heck else some of you could be basing your opinions on. What exactly has Saban done to prove he's a good NFL coach yet? Aside from damn near going apoplectic on the sideline screaming at one of his players in a manner that would embarrass even Mike Ditka, he hasn't shown me much. A fraudulent winning streak, followed by opening the next season being outcoached by the neanderthal himself, Coach Chin? Like people have been saying, it's early. Too early to call him a bust? It's too early to call him a good coach, too. Three seasons minimum to gauge that, in my mind.

PonyExpress said:

yeah but .... it's fun :D

but I doubt Culpepper will magically transform. Still think under pressure
he will flop most of the time.
I'd sure like to know what Saban was thinking when he got Culpepper.

All i am gonna remember of Saban is that wussy flag throw. Be a man Nick. Throw it at the damn Ref.

Saban = good coach, not great but good.

Culpepper= bad QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back