PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick McDonald activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's not being promoted to start but to be a backup. We don't really have one if Wendell/Connolly goes down (assuming one of the two is active).

Then who gets the boot? Ventrone's already on the PS, so he's not available to be cut. ;)

Hoping the corresponding move is something I like. I hope all is well with Spike.

Possibly Vollmar?

I also am guessing that someone is going to IR. The obvious possibilities are Vollmer, Spikes, Fletcher and Price.

Instead, they flat out cut Price.

Another draft pick goes swirling down the toilet.:mad:

Some info on McDonald:

It Is What It Is » Nick McDonald all of a sudden the center of attention
He was signed to the practice squad on Sept. 4 and then released 11 days later. He eventually was signed back to the practice squad one day later.

Now, because starting right tackle Sebastian Vollmer is out with a foot injury and centers Dan Connolly (groin) and Ryan Wendell (calf) are questionable, McDonald will likely be active and on the sidelines Sunday ready to provide insurance. He very well could make his NFL debut against the Colts.

So, if either Connolly or Wendell or both can’t go Sunday, it appears the 24-year-old McDonald will get a chance. To that end, he’s been taking snaps in practice.

But what about getting accustomed to Tom Brady in practice?

“You have to know exactly what Tom wants,” McDonald said. “First and foremost, it’s got to be the snap, you have to be on the same page. You just have to work at it.”

McDonald, at 6-feet-4 and 305 pounds, can play all three interior line spots, both guard positions and center, something that appealed to Bill Belichick.

“You have to know everything. As a younger guy, I have to know all inside positions. I’m comfortable with all of them. It’s really not that big a of a difference. The biggest difference is snapping the ball. You can’t have a play without snapping the ball.”

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet » Patriots will activate G/C Nick McDonald from the practice squad
Earlier in the week, practice squad center Nick McDonald was spotted taking snaps from QB Tom Brady and backup Brian Hoyer. It was considered a just-in-case situation, as injuries to center Dan Connolly (groin) and backup Ryan Wendell (calf) left the Pats thin there.

Just-in-case has happened.

The Patriots will active McDonald to the 53-man roster for tomorrow’s Colts game, I’m told, indicating that either Connolly or Wendell will sit out. Figure McDonald will be the backup.

Source: G/C McDonald to be promoted - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston
Ryan Wendell, who started last week in place of Dan Connolly (groin), has a calf injury, leaving McDonald as the third option at center. Both Wendell and Connolly are questionable for Sunday's game against the Colts.

Getting to know Nick McDonald - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston
"You have to prepare like that every single week," McDonald told reporters when asked if he was getting ready. "Every practice squad guy gets reps and we all have to know exactly what the starters are doing, because you never know when your number is going to be called and when you'll be called up."

Played guard and tackle in college before switching to more of a guard/center role in the pros.

MacD would be our 4th center. Think of the AFCE contending Jets and Bill who both fell apart when their starting center went down and they went to #2.

It's obvious BB can't draft wideouts and should pass on the 2nd & 3rd rounds of the draft completely but man, the guy knows how to get blood from a stone fielding backups. Kudos especially to Dante here, assuming Brady does not get killed Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back