PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Mangold

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_Paddy

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
One name I have not heard mentioned in draft rumours (apologies if it actually has and I've just missed it) is Nick Mangold, Ohio State Center.

Think about it...

Dan Koppen is thought unlikely to be here beyond this coming season, so we need to start planning for life beyond DK.

I have heard a number of draftniks saying he's widely regarded as the second best over-all OL in the draft (better even than Winston Justice).

One or two mocks have him going as high as 14 to Philly. But most have him down at 32 or thereabouts.

The Ohio State guys say the Pats have had a million scouts down there way looking at a number of different players. So I'm sure they've at least looked at him.

He will probably be on the board when we select.

Now, I'm firmly in the 'Take Bobby Carpenter' Camp, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see Nick Mangold called at 21. Especially considering the fact that we haven't even heard his name speculated yet.

Any thoughts?

(We might also be able to trade down and get him)

Last edited:
i would love to have Mangold at #21...that would fit the "I cant believe we drafted that guy in the first" statement of 2006. He would be a great add IMO

NE_Paddy said:
HaHa! I knew it was too good an idea for someone not to have thought of it before me!

i posted on a thread a while back that i would not be surprised if they took him, for the same reasons you listed
(as well as the fact we dont know how koppen will come back from injury)

he is a nasty c and would be a very good pick
although id still say there are other players that have a higher likelihood of us taking them at 21

The intriguing thing about it is that both our OL and DL starters would be signed through at least 2009 (assuming they like Kaczur as a starter).

My gut feeling, though, is they'll take a Center like Chester or Cook (although I'm not sure he's a long term starter at C given his height) a little later as protection against Koppen leaving in 2007 or not being ready in 2006. We already know that Hochstein can start if necessary.

I think the pick would only make sense if they plan on moving Mankins outside to RT. Then you can lineup Light, Mangold, Koppen, Neal, Mankins. I definitely wouldn't mind that as our OL.

BelichickFan said:
The intriguing thing about it is that both our OL and DL starters would be signed through at least 2009 (assuming they like Kaczur as a starter).

My gut feeling, though, is they'll take a Center like Chester or Cook (although I'm not sure he's a long term starter at C given his height) a little later as protection against Koppen leaving in 2007 or not being ready in 2006. We already know that Hochstein can start if necessary.

Is it just my imagination, or have I read somewhere that Mankins can play any OL position including C? Because if he can, that certainly removes the need to draft a C and allows us to draft the best available OL at some point in the middle rounds.

Um, did I miss something somewhere?
Why is Dan not expected to be here past next year? I understand he still has to come back from last years injury, however I had thought he was happy and doing well enough to be resigned.
Is it just an expectation that he will ask to much? Wants to play someplace else? What?
This is just something I hadnt heard before.

b_btrick said:
Um, did I miss something somewhere?
Why is Dan not expected to be here past next year? I understand he still has to come back from last years injury, however I had thought he was happy and doing well enough to be resigned.
Is it just an expectation that he will ask to much? Wants to play someplace else? What?
This is just something I hadnt heard before.
The "talk" among fans is that he'd like to go home to Philly. Is there any truth to it ? Hell if I know. But like with all Patriots, until he's re-signed, we need to consider possible replacements.

The forgotten man...

Every discussion of the O-line never seems to include Ross Tucker. He was picked up from the Bills when cut, apparently as a sacrificial lamb by Donohoe for the Offensive line's failings.

It caused a stink in Buffalo, and a player revolt that marked the beginning of the end of the Buffalo FO and coaching staff. Fans agreed. Many players said it was a PC kind of BS; and only because massive BUST, Mr. Williams a first round pick of Donhoe's, (fourth overall), could not be cut. When Marv Levey returned the first thing he did is cut Williams, in effect confirming the players concerns.

Ross Tucker was the tough, hard-as-nails, do everything, part-time interior starter C/G and possibly RT, that BB snatched up. Think of a better, more talented, Joe Andruzzi.

Tucker arrived too late in the season to do much, but with a full TC, Russ, Dan and Gene had better look over their shoulders. Tucker is that good, IMO. He is 6-4 305 and 27, I beleive, so he is young too...

NE_Paddy said:
HaHa! I knew it was too good an idea for someone not to have thought of it before me!

ya sure nice try to swipe somebody elses idea and make it your post. at least give credit.

bucky said:
Is it just my imagination, or have I read somewhere that Mankins can play any OL position including C? Because if he can, that certainly removes the need to draft a C and allows us to draft the best available OL at some point in the middle rounds.

Logan may be ABLE to play anywhere on the line, but I think last year he proved himself a high-quality NFL guard. He was one of the top 2 or 3 rookies last year both in immediate impact and value, so I reckon he sticks around at starting guard. Play your best players in your best positions I reckon (granted, I'm only an Irish fool who hasn't a clue).

Thing about Mangold is that he has so many great intangibles (character, intelligence, passion etc.) and also good measurables. He's probably as sure a bet as you can get with a high draft pick. And with DK possibly heading Penn direction after this year is out, a stud centre stepping in would go down a treat. He could provide the anchor for Tommy's cover until Tommy breaks all our hearts and packs it in. That's some serious value right there.

Like probably 99% of the other posters on here, I don't spend my Saturdays analyzing college interior o-lineman, so cant' comment too much on Mangold's play.

But I did see him interviewed on NFL Network, and seems like a real bright guy with his head screwed on straight. Just wants to go out and play football. Analsysts kept trying to bait him to say something, like what kind of O he would prefer to play in, anything engaging, but he just walked the line saying any team that would draft me, that's the offense I want to play in.

Then they said well you mean any team that will pay you.

He just responded with something to the effect that he didnt' care, he just wanted to go somewhere and play football for a living.

So he's already got the BB automaton interview down pact. ;)

One of the talking heads (Mayock?) was raving how he is one of the best C prospects in years, and kept alluding to a high-ranking team official who said he was best C prospect in 15 years.

If he can play G effectively, I could absolutely see NE drafting him, then sliding one of Kaczur or Mankins to RT, the other occupying the interior along with Mangold. That would be a nice young line.

Would I be thrilled with 2 interior OL #1 draft picks? Probably not, but I'm all for whatever keeps Brady from having to stain-stick his jersey.

Digger44 said:
ya sure nice try to swipe somebody elses idea and make it your post. at least give credit.

:D I don't spend all that much time round these parts, so forgive my ignorance! :D

NE_Paddy said:
:D I don't spend all that much time round these parts, so forgive my ignorance! :D
It was on page three of the draft board, it wsan't exactly obvious (unless you searched for "Mangold") :)

Hey we'd have a real MANly line with Mankins and Mangold :violent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back