PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Kaczur: Weak Link on the Pats's OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
There's been discussion of the Patriots having weak play this year at the offensive tackle position. True. Matt Light's having an off-year. But the guy's a very good competitor; we can expect him to show up and play his tail off. Remember the match up a couple of years ago against the Colts, when he shut down their edge rusher?

Never count Matt Light out. (No pun intended.)

Kaczur, however, gives me a slight case of the willies. I think speed can get by him too often. In a game where we can't afford to flub up on even a couple of plays because of breakdowns of pass protection, Nick Kaczur's play sometimes leaves something to be desired. I'm envisioning his prostrate body after ineffectually lunging after a speed rusher who got him off balance.

San Diego has players that pose precisely the sort of problem I'm talking about with the speed guys off the edge. Speed kills Kaczur.

I'm hoping they play Ryan O'Callaghan a lot, who I think has played better this year when healthy. I think the now-healthy rookie has better fundamentals and can get the job done on a more consistent basis. Bring on the California boy!

Kaczur breaks down a play or two on some games--as he did late in the season when they played him more--and we think he'll do that today. I hope Dante, the line coach, puts the best players out there on the field.

Good Grief

There's been discussion of the Patriots having weak play this year at the offensive tackle position. True. Matt Light's having an off-year. But the guy's a very good competitor; we can expect him to show up and play his tail off. Remember the match up a couple of years ago against the Colts, when he shut down their edge rusher?
Never count Matt Light out. (No pun intended.)
Kaczur, however, gives me a slight case of the willies. I think speed can get by him too often. In a game where we can't afford to flub up on even a couple of plays because of breakdowns of pass protection, Nick Kaczur's play sometimes leaves something to be desired. I'm envisioning his prostrate body after ineffectually lunging after a speed rusher who got him off balance.
San Diego has players that pose precisely the sort of problem I'm talking about with the speed guys off the edge. Speed kills Kaczur.
I'm hoping they play Ryan O'Callaghan a lot, who I think has played better this year when healthy. I think the now-healthy rookie has better fundamentals and can get the job done on a more consistent basis. Bring on the California boy!
Kaczur breaks down a play or two on some games--as he did late in the season when they played him more--and we think he'll do that today. I hope Dante, the line coach, puts the best players out there on the field.

IMO "weakness" is a relative term.
no doubt, pats will run left on critical plays.
it's not just light, it's mankins too.
remember light was drafted to be a RT. just like eugene wilson was drafted to be a CB. they are both playing out of position.

RT has played less effectively startiing with tom ashworth, what's-his-name from purdue.
and this year too. kaczur played hurt last year at LT, and IMO is hurt this year again. o'callaghan is a obviously a monster. but ryan's a rookie, playing hurt. nick is a veteran, playing hurt.
both will play.
both will struggle.
if the DE/LB on their side keeps getting penetration, the answer is screens and TE slants. we'll se what happens

chill out.

Light should move from LT to RT. Draft someone who can handle speed rushers.

Light should move from LT to RT. Draft someone who can handle speed rushers.

And relegate Kaczur and O'Callaghan, 3rd and 5th round picks, to bench duty.

Brilliant.

Last edited:
Can Light handle the speed rushers by himself. No he can not. O'Callaghan adds depth because we all know we have been so injury free for the past seasons.

The Pats will put the RT out there with the best chance of helping our team win, and that's fine by me, as we have three decent ones to choose from in Kaczur, O'Callaghan, and Britt.

It seems to me the Pats have won a few games with Light at LT. If the Pats win today it will be because Matt Light and Nick Kazcur will have done their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes