Nick Caserio on why the Pats drafted Edelbinky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From Chris Price on WEEI.com:

Q: Now that it appears that Julian Edelman will get a lot of playing time, can you talk about what you saw in him coming in and how you thought he might be able to make the transition to wide receiver? And what you did you see that may made you believe that?

NC: The thing about Julian [Edelman], when you saw him play at Kent State, he was really good with the ball in his hands. I guess you would call him the dual threat. He ran the ball, they threw the ball with him as well, but he ran the ball. He was good with the ball in his hands and he was good in space. He was a good runner, he had good quickness, and he was a strong runner. Really, you see that particular skill set during the spring as you go through your scouting process and drafting process. You just try to find out positionally where that type of player fits best and in some cases, it’s not always going to be in receiver or running back; you’re going to have to do your homework. We spent some time with him, we worked him out specifically as a receiver and we actually did some things with him in the return game to see if he could field some punts. There’s a little bit of a projection element to it but in terms of his athleticism, in terms of his running ability, in terms of his quickness, in terms of his strength with the ball. He actually caught the ball well when we did work him out, so you’re basing that information saying, ‘OK, this is where we feel that he fits best for us.’ There was a little bit of a leap of faith but we did our homework and we felt comfortable. So that is why we made the decision that we did to draft him, and play him at receiver.

The thing about JE that strikes me (besides the quickness) is his strength with the ball. The guy is hard to bring down.

Box O Rocks :snob::snob::snob: had this guy nailed down in our draft forum.

;) ... no problem Box ... bask in the glory.

He not only works hard for the extra yards, but he protects the ball well too.

He's a SMART player who understands his role and works to get the best result for each play. He seems to have an intuitive understanding of where the sticks are, and what the best result for each play should be.

He has GREAT potential, and will fit in well with both the team, and the system.

I'm looking for some kind of option play where the ex QB gets to throw it 40 yards downfield to a streaking Moss. I predict we won't see it this week, but in San Diego.

Maybe also a little Wildcat thrown in.

high.gif
And Connor Barwin got Brady all riled up. :cool:

So where in the scouting process were they able to see that the kid works his @$$ off?

One word: JACKPOT!

Anyone see Tim Tebow as a wide receiver?

Recent college quarterbacks who were able to convert to wide receiver in the NFL.

Julian Edelman
Isaiah Stanback
Matt Jones
Antwaan Randle El

Anyone see Tim Tebow as a wide receiver?

Recent college quarterbacks who were able to convert to wide receiver in the NFL.

Julian Edelman
Isaiah Stanback
Matt Jones
Antwaan Randle El

I'm not sure that I can see wideout. But like some others on this board have mentioned in other threads, maybe more of an H back/TE? He's got a lot of the strength for that position without necessarily having the quickness for WR. Maybe a Tebow H-back motion for a direct snap type of look?

He actually looks quicker and faster than Welker.

I'm looking for some kind of option play where the ex QB gets to throw it 40 yards downfield to a streaking Moss. I predict we won't see it this week, but in San Diego.

Maybe also a little Wildcat thrown in.

That Elderman has not been used in any special play/s this whole season, shows you how unimaginative this Offensive coaching staff is.

That Elderman has not been used in any special play/s this whole season, shows you how unimaginative this Offensive coaching staff is.

A 7th round rookie looking to make a position change... not necessarily the best idea to have him focusing on anything but learning to play WR, especially since he lost time with a broken arm.

He actually looks quicker and faster than Welker.

That's because he is quicker and faster. The only reason he hasn't outperformed Welker is the tiny difference of a decade or so of experience for Welker at WR/RB. :)

40-yard dash: WW 4.65, JE 4.52

Short shuttle: WW 4.01, JE 3.91
[As was mentioned on this board before, this was so fast that the scouts didn't believe it. He ran it even faster the second time.]

3-cone: WW 7.09, JE 6.62

Vertical jump: WW 30", JE 36.5"
[Disturbingly, Edelman's vertical is 1" less than Mt. Vollmer's. :eek:]

Broad jump: WW 9'5", JE 10'3"

Last edited:
That's because he is.

[As was mentioned on this board before, this was so fast that the scouts didn't believe it. He ran it even faster the second time.]

I just measured my best broad jump....

26.2 inches....:confused:

In reading the statistics you listed, it's just amazing what professional athletes are capable of!

Vollmer has a vertical leap of 37"? You gotta be sheeting me!

Vollmer could probably just reach up for a grab at the height most slot guy's vertical leap, haha.

Seriously though... Vollmer for TE?

Yep, kudos to BOR. There are a few others in there who are well worth reading and listening to, sadly they simply get drowned out by the complete morons that inhabit this place nowadays.

Yep, kudos to BOR. There are a few others in there who are well worth reading and listening to, sadly they simply get drowned out by the complete morons that inhabit this place nowadays.

I believe the internet has survived solely because of a surplus in the world of complete morons. Just consider some of these guys to be the gems among the UFA's of life.

Perhaps it's me, but my brain translated that entire answer to:

He reminded us of Welker, but he was playing the wrong position. :cool:

That's because he is quicker and faster. The only reason he hasn't outperformed Welker is the tiny difference of a decade or so of experience for Welker at WR/RB. :)

where did you get that information from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes