PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Cafardo vs Mike Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What do you think of Mike Reiss' writing style? I thought it's dull and boring.

I used to look forward to reading Cafardo's Q&A at the Globe. I may not agree with Nick, but his reponses were stimulating and entertaining.

In contrast, I have stopped reading Reiss'. His mailbag is dragging and the responses are stereotyped and banal.

Last edited:
So, you like style over substance? You like opinion instead of fact?

Not me, I don't give out style points when I'm looking for information.

Reiss and Curran are the best Pats writers. Reiss always seems to be accurate, I'll take that over hype everytime.

Anybody but Borges. Curran, Reiss, and Cafardo are all pretty good.

Like most here, I have tremendous respect for Mike Reiss. He is a first-class beat reporter: thorough, timely and reliable. That being said, reporter and writer are not the same thing. For example, Ron Borges is an excellent writer, even when his subject matter makes you want to toss the newspaper in the fire. (Yesterday's "Kraft should be a martyr" piece was very nicely done indeed.) So in short, you're right -- Mike Reiss isn't exactly a gripping prose stylist at this point in his career. What he needs is to develop a separate voice for his opinion pieces vs. his straight news reportage. Right now I read his blog religiously, but often skip the mailbag.

patsfan13 said:
Reiss and Curran are the best Pats writers. Reiss always seems to be accurate, I'll take that over hype everytime.

I have always thought Reiss is tentative in expressing his views.

I would like to see him become more assertive and provocative.

He seems to be afraid of antagonizing his readers, so he writes mainstream responses.

While Reiss provides great Pats news coverage, his job is not just to write the news.

I find this thread fairly amusing. We all complain so much how slanted Borges is and full of agenda. Now we have a reporter (not a columnist) who gives us the straight facts, scoops nearly everyone, and keeps us informed with his blog, and we complain that he is not provocative enough? No wonder people complain about our fanbase..

Cafardo has been pretty good, but last year he followed Borges into the gutter. I agree style is important in writing..and there is a difference between
reporting straight news and opinion..but when facts are wrong, misinformation is rampant and ONE writer seems to set it all straight...I will go with him. Reiss is the one writer I can count on for Patriot news and information. He has opinions he just doesn't hype them they way some of the other writers love to. "Look at me!!"...He's the one writer though who if he makes a mistake apologizes and sets the record straight. Do any of the others do that?? Hmmm I don't think so not even wrong Borges..who seems more wrong. Cafardo follows in that path. Curran is great as well, although not a blogster like Reiss..... Carfardo or Reiss?? Hands down..MikeR wins BIG!!!

Last edited:
Well, WE'RE not complaining that Mike Reiss isn't 'provocative' enough. Mikey is. Anybody who looked forward to Nick's mailbag - and believes that Mike R's exemplary reporting should be replaced by the all-too-prevelant 'commentary' - clearly should be made a ward of the state.

Last edited:
vapatsfan said:
I find this thread fairly amusing. We all complain so much how slanted Borges is and full of agenda. Now we have a reporter (not a columnist) who gives us the straight facts, scoops nearly everyone, and keeps us informed with his blog, and we complain that he is not provocative enough? No wonder people complain about our fanbase..
You need to consider the original source. :cool2:

mikey said:
I have always thought Reiss is tentative in expressing his views.

I would like to see him become more assertive and provocative.

He seems to be afraid of antagonizing his readers, so he writes mainstream responses.

While Reiss provides great Pats news coverage, his job is not just to write the news.

You're comparing apples and oranges mikey. Reiss and Tomase (ugh) and Solomon are being paid to be reporters - i.e. report the news with little opinion save that based on professional insight. Borges, Cafardo, and now Felger are being paid as columnists - i.e. to write opinion pieces based either on professional insight or personal opinion and, if they choose, written merely to advance a contrarian view or opinion (or in extreme cases agenda).

Reporters are expected to maintain or expand readership based on the quality and reliability of their reporting, and Reiss has managed to accomplish that for a paper that had marginalized itself of late in the Patriots football news department. Columnists are expected to maintain or expand readership based on the quality of their prose or the insightful or provocative nature of their commentary. Will McDonough couldn't write to save his life, but the provocative insider nature of his columns and his opinion drew readers like moths to a flame. Harder to do these days with the proliferation of information outlets and the internet, although that is the territory Borges has attempted to maintain his foothold in. Unfortunately he has so alienated himself with the local franchise he has virtually no insight into what they are doing so he functions more as the NFL insider.

In Boston there are too many cross over columnists with too little real insight beyond their own often surprisingly uninformed opinion. Cafardo falls into that group. Short of disgruntled players and some limited (although also shrinking) insider league sources, Nick is more often than not guessing based on nothing more than his own personal opinion. That becomes alarmingly evident when he appears on the air and can't defend his position when challenged to.

I'm more bothered by seeing the reporters gradually crossing the line in part fed by the lucrative outside market (radio, TV) for their opinions. A market that expands in direct relation to the individuals ability to behave in an opinionated manner. I believe that's what resulted in Tomase not only shifting papers but having to shift sports. He alienated too many baseball people to continue functioning effectively as a viable baseball reporter. I think at times Curren careens in that direction on air, as Felger is doing daily now to push ratings on his radio show.

I read or listen to each of them with a big grain of salt as a result. Like many here I'm not looking for them to entertain me or to spin me, rather to inform me. I prefer to shape my own opinions.

Pats67 said:
Well, WE'RE not complaining that Mike Reiss isn't 'provocative' enough. Mikey is. Anybody who looked forward to Nick's mailbag clearly should be made a ward of the state.

Provocative was a poor choice of word.

And those were just my opinions, of course.

MoLewisrocks said:
You're comparing apples and oranges mikey. Reiss and Tomase (ugh) and Solomon are being paid to be reporters - i.e. report the news with little opinion save that based on professional insight. Borges, Cafardo, and now Felger are being paid as columnists - i.e. to write opinion pieces based either on professional insight or personal opinion and, if they choose, written merely to advance a contrarian view or opinion (or in extreme cases agenda).

Reporters are expected to maintain or expand readership based on the quality and reliability of their reporting, and Reiss has managed to accomplish that for a paper that had marginalized itself of late in the Patriots football news department. Columnists are expected to maintain or expand readership based on the quality of their prose or the insightful or provocative nature of their commentary. Will McDonough couldn't write to save his life, but the provocative insider nature of his columns and his opinion drew readers like moths to a flame. Harder to do these days with the proliferation of information outlets and the internet, although that is the territory Borges has attempted to maintain his foothold in. Unfortunately he has so alienated himself with the local franchise he has virtually no insight into what they are doing so he functions more as the NFL insider.

In Boston there are too many cross over columnists with too little real insight beyond their own often surprisingly uninformed opinion. Cafardo falls into that group. Short of disgruntled players and some limited (although also shrinking) insider league sources, Nick is more often than not guessing based on nothing more than his own personal opinion. That becomes alarmingly evident when he appears on the air and can't defend his position when challenged to.

I'm more bothered by seeing the reporters gradually crossing the line in part fed by the lucrative outside market (radio, TV) for their opinions. A market that expands in direct relation to the individuals ability to behave in an opinionated manner. I believe that's what resulted in Tomase not only shifting papers but having to shift sports. He alienated too many baseball people to continue functioning effectively as a viable baseball reporter. I think at times Curren careens in that direction on air, as Felger is doing daily now to push ratings on his radio show.

I read or listen to each of them with a big grain of salt as a result. Like many here I'm not looking for them to entertain me or to spin me, rather to inform me. I prefer to shape my own opinions.

Thanks for the response, Mo.

I am not bashing Reiss.

On the contrary, I like and respect Reiss.

I want him to express his perspectives and opnions and not simply sprout the obvious and mundane.

I want Mike to establish his identity.

Last edited:
Reporters aren't supposed to have an identity, just like they are not supposed to interject themselves into a story. You apparently want him to become just another Boston sports columnist. No thanks.

Oddly looking at today's football coverage by the local media, the Globe comes out on top. They broke the McGinest cut, and had a body (Borges) on site in TX covering the CBA. Both the Herald and the Pro Jo are running AP CBA stories that offer less info than we already know. Tomase at least has a Ty Poole agent comment in his Pats column. Curren chose instead to mail in an I understood this but I knew you didn't care to commentary on the existance of an NFL CBA in general piece, and has nothing on the Pats.

Don't look now but the Globe may be reinserting itself into the football fray. Not that it would be that hard to do when the competition replaces Felger the beat reporter with Tomase and Mannix the self appointed professor with Felger the increasingly opinionated new sports radio talk show host wannabe. And Curren juggling multiple on air gigs to feed his young family and apparently relying on AP for backup while flying pretty much solo at the Pro Jo.

Enough of them are anxious to tell me what I think or what to think. I count on Reiss to bring me up to speed on what there actually is to know.

mikey said:
I want Mike to establish his identity.
He has. His identity is that of a bright, informed, approachable guy who loves football, takes his job seriously, respects the fans and wants to serve them well (he and Tom Curran are by far the best people I've ever corresponded with), and takes seriously his obligation to report the facts in a clear, consise manner, by continuously expanding his sources and resources.

Nick Cafardo, on the other hand, has the identity of a lazy, agenda-riddled hack who has maybe three names in his rolodex, all hopelessly slanted to jibe with his agenda, which is rife with the kind of 'perspectives' and 'opinions' that you seem to value, though there really isn't any value in them at all.

What Pats said.

Typical Cafardo mailbag response:
"Stacey James would be a better one to address that question."

Typical Reiss mailbag response:
"When I asked Stacey James your question, he said..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes