PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice Win...small concern about WR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dieon Branch is by no means slow. He may not get great separation but gtfo if you think he's "painfully slow".

Branch is shifty.I dont know if its the playcalling.I am not a fan of O'Brien.They just dont have wrs right now.If Price was any good then he would seize this opportunity right now.

Next week is a perfect test for this edition of the Patriots. The Eagles will put 24-30 points on the board and it will be up to the Patriots to outscore them and use the clock wisely. The running game will be a key to a win or loss.

With Vick, yup. If Young starts, it'll be a blowout.

When the Pats had Moss in 2009, people were biatching that Brady tries to force it down field too much and whatever happened to "Brady's favorite receiver is the open receiver". Now people are complaining there is no deep threat.

Sorry, but a lack of deep threat didn't make BJGE drop a screen pass right to him on the first drive. It didn't make Hernandez drop several passes right to him last night. It didn't make Brady not see several wide open WRs. It didn't make the Pats be ineffective running the ball early.

People want to blame this lack of a deep threat for everything that goes wrong with the offense. In the last two games when the offense exploded in the second half in each game, the Pats still didn't have a deep threat. Guess what? The Pats didn't have a deep threat in any Super Bowl winning season.

This offseason WR will be a priority to improve. Not neccessarily that the Pats need a deep threat (although it wouldn't hurt to have one), but because Branch and Ocho will likely be gone or at least Branch will move to a supporting role. I think this whole deep threat thing is overrated. The Pats need better WRs since right now they only have two that are even fairly consistently productive, but they can certainly do very well on offense next year without a deep threat if they upgrade the position.

The OL seems to be finesse.They need to do a better job run blocking.I disagree though.This league has become a passing league and right now this team can be very predictable on offense.They cant stretch the field.Everything seems like a cross-route to a TE.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to address and improve your running game to create a more balanced attack on offense. A bigger threat in the running game opens things up more for the passing attack. The Pats won 3 SB's with a more balanced offense back then. The defense was better of course, but with this high flying passing attack that they've had over the last few years seems to run into a wall in certain games when they run into a great defense that can rush the passer effectively.

The Patriots are currently 16th in rushing in the entire NFL. They're 2nd in passing in the entire NFL even with the WR's that they have right now. I fail to see why getting an upgraded WR is a bigger need than to get one at RB. I agree that an upgrade is very necessary and that Tom could do more with better guys, but if they got a dominant RB, I think that would make this offense a lot stronger and tougher to defend.

Some of us have been on it for a while. The Pats need a burner or two who can blow the top off of coverage and be seen as a vertical receiving threat. It seems like the long throw (not YAC, the LONG throw) for a big pick up isn't in the Patriots arsenal this season.

Last edited:
When the Pats had Moss in 2009, people were biatching that Brady tries to force it down field too much and whatever happened to "Brady's favorite receiver is the open receiver". Now people are complaining there is no deep threat.

Sorry, but a lack of deep threat didn't make BJGE drop a screen pass right to him on the first drive. It didn't make Hernandez drop several passes right to him last night. It didn't make Brady not see several wide open WRs. It didn't make the Pats be ineffective running the ball early.

People want to blame this lack of a deep threat for everything that goes wrong with the offense. In the last two games when the offense exploded in the second half in each game, the Pats still didn't have a deep threat. Guess what? The Pats didn't have a deep threat in any Super Bowl winning season.

This offseason WR will be a priority to improve. Not neccessarily that the Pats need a deep threat (although it wouldn't hurt to have one), but because Branch and Ocho will likely be gone or at least Branch will move to a supporting role. I think this whole deep threat thing is overrated. The Pats need better WRs since right now they only have two that are even fairly consistently productive, but they can certainly do very well on offense next year without a deep threat if they upgrade the position.

Lack of a deep threat didnt cause the particular mistakes you pointed out but that doesnt mean a deep threat like Vincent Jackson wouldnt make this offense a whole lot better.

the thing is, im not sure we play enough 3 WR sets for someone to have a large impact. Ocho plays 11snaps, Price plays 11snaps....and how many of those were running plays??

I still think the only chance Ocho/Price get more playing time is if Branch or Hernandez are injured.

because right now our offensive set for the majority of snaps is Welker/branch/Gronk/Hernandez/RB

If we had a top deep threat, he probably would play lots of reps instead of Branch when 2 wider receivers were on the field.

the thing is, im not sure we play enough 3 WR sets for someone to have a large impact. Ocho plays 11snaps, Price plays 11snaps....and how many of those were running plays??

I still think the only chance Ocho/Price get more playing time is if Branch or Hernandez are injured.

because right now our offensive set for the majority of snaps is Welker/branch/Gronk/Hernandez/RB

I posted this in another forum. I've always believed this:

I know I'm going to get hammered....but, who gives a ****

Brady has never had a real receiver. Moss is...was the greatest "deep threat" the game has ever seen. I won't debate that at all. However.....When I think of complete WR....he doesn't count. Brady getting the records was nice and all...but, I like what you call "stick movers" at wideout. Someone that can run all the routes. The closest Brady has had to that played for one game with him back in in first year at QB. Terry Glenn....so he doesn't count. Wes Welker? He's a slot guy. Troy Brown? Deion Branch in his prime would be the closest

I'm talking a guy that has it all. Maybe he couldn't get down field quite like Randy Moss....but, essentially could do everything else better. For instances:

Larry Fitzgerald
Andrea Johnson
Steve Smith
Santonio Holmes
Greg Jennings
Roddy White
Reggie Wayne

Those type of WR's you have to worry about them running all the routes. Moss was kind of a one trick pony. I would have rather had one of those guys instead of Moss. I could care less about the records they set in 2007.

Chad Johnson should have been that guy.....but, he is older now....and for whatever reason still doesn't know the feaking playbook.

I posted this in another forum. I've always believed this:

I know I'm going to get hammered....but, who gives a ****

Brady has never had a real receiver. Moss is...was the greatest "deep threat" the game has ever seen. I won't debate that at all. However.....When I think of complete WR....he doesn't count. Brady getting the records was nice and all...but, I like what you call "stick movers" at wideout. Someone that can run all the routes. The closest Brady has had to that played for one game with him back in in first year at QB. Terry Glenn....so he doesn't count. Wes Welker? He's a slot guy. Troy Brown? Deion Branch in his prime would be the closest

I'm talking a guy that has it all. Maybe he couldn't get down field quite like Randy Moss....but, essentially could do everything else better. For instances:

Larry Fitzgerald
Andrea Johnson
Steve Smith
Santonio Holmes
Greg Jennings
Roddy White
Reggie Wayne

Those type of WR's you have to worry about them running all the routes. Moss was kind of a one trick pony. I would have rather had one of those guys instead of Moss. I could care less about the records they set in 2007.

Chad Johnson should have been that guy.....but, he is older now....and for whatever reason still doesn't know the feaking playbook.

The first WR competency we need right now is physicality, a man-beater, someone who can can get off jams in press coverage, and create separation vs corners with good man to man skills. That would go a LONG way to helping us be successful in the playoffs.

If that WR can also work the outside and deep threats the entire offense becomes MUCH more difficult to defend.

I think people are underrating branch. he has 500yards so far. the guy is no slouch...although I agree we could use someone who can beat man coverage deep at WR.

brady only had 15completions last night, most of those went to Gronk/Hernandez so im not too worried about our receiving core's production in the future this season. even Ocho

technically Hernandez is our 3rd wide receiver...he may be a tight end in name, but we line him up on the outside against corners

The first WR competency we need right now is physicality, a man-beater, someone who can can get off jams in press coverage, and create separation vs corners with good man to man skills. That would go a LONG way to helping us be successful in the playoffs.

If that WR can also work the outside and deep threats the entire offense becomes MUCH more difficult to defend.

EXACTLY

Nobody is suggesting we need '07 Randy Moss

Just a guy who can get out of the logjam that the center of the field becomes when teams take away all of our underneath routes.

This team needs to run the ball to be successful with the current outside recievers. The outside guys are more than good enough but only if they are willing to run. The TE's can exploit the seams and create some match up problems in space. I also think with the explosiveness of the TE's this team doesn't really need a deep threat. Trust me the safties opposing this club have enough problems. The thing is that by pressing the WR outside the defense is taking a coverage check away from Brady and it ensures he is taking a longer drop. They are going to be more than happy to take their chances getting to him by if nothing else getting rid of the early easy throw. Brady will have plenty of opportunites to make plays by running the ball consistently. He needs to buy time by making teams take false steps reacting to the run game. If they are willing to stick to a balanced approach teams are going to find that pressing those outside WR is going to be problematic once Brady has that extra half second of time.

Lack of a deep threat didnt cause the particular mistakes you pointed out but that doesnt mean a deep threat like Vincent Jackson wouldnt make this offense a whole lot better.

Having Darrelle Revis would make the defense better too.

That isn't my point. Of course having a very good deep threat WR will help the team, but my point was the lack of the deep threat being the problem with the defense is overstated.

I know he punched his teamate in face....but, do you realize how much better this offense would have been with a guy like Steve Smith

Having Darrelle Revis would make the defense better too.

That isn't my point. Of course having a very good deep threat WR will help the team, but my point was the lack of the deep threat being the problem with the defense is overstated.

Deep threat is over used. I just want a guy that backs off the coverage a bit.

We need a physical man-beater that can work the outside and deep zones, I vote for Vincent Jackson!

Vincent Jackson was my boy out of college. He went to the same college as my brother. Since then he's been busted in booze related incidents multiple times. I don't want him anymore. One more bust, he'll be sitting for a while. He comes across also as a bit of a head case. We don't need a head case.

That said, it'd sure be nice to have a freak receiver. Like somebody else also said, a freak running back would make the team unstoppable.

However, for now it's this year I'm concerned about. Alot of undrafted free agents litter this roster. Yet, the schedule looks favorableish.

I know he punched his teamate in face....but, do you realize how much better this offense would have been with a guy like Steve Smith

Some guys deserved to be punched in the face, and worse:D

To say that wr is not a problem is ridiculous.Teams are already taking Welker out of the equation.This offense has gotten stagnant.Now Brady is force to dink and dunk.I am not asking for a star wr.Just a guy thats gonna go out there and make plays on the outside.Hell i would want Jabar Gaffney right now.

Branch's 500 yards mean nothing.He hasnt been consistent enough making plays outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back