Nice OL article

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There's a nice review of OL prospects out from Frank Cooney at USAToday:

Peak performers: O-line likely to produce bumper draft class again - USATODAY.com

Some particular players of interest:

- "Eben Britton, Arizona, 6-6, 309: Although he used sheer size, strength and athleticism to be a force, Britton could have used another college season to hone his game. He started all 37 games he appeared in at Arizona, lining up at right tackle for the first 24 contests before shifting to left tackle in 2008. Britton is a very bright, high-character type who was a team captain and is expected to work hard to get ever closer to his significant potential. He was flagged for four infractions in 2,461 snaps, according to coaches' stats. He made 17 blocks that led directly to touchdowns in 2008."

- "William, Beatty, Connecticut, 6-6, 307: Still growing into his body and his role, Beatty began his college career as a 265-pounder and has maintained the quick feet, agility and strength required to play left tackle in the NFL. He was impressive at combine workouts, with a best time in 40 yards of 5.06 seconds and 27 repetitions on the bench press with 225 pounds. He was the Huskies' anchor at left tackle the past two years after making a comeback from a broken leg that ended his 2006 season. Beatty allowed 6½ sacks in 689 plays over the past two years, according to coaches' stats."

- "Jamon Meredith, South Carolina, 6-5 304: Meredith has the natural strength and athletic ability to play guard or tackle. He is a quiet, thoughtful person who might be more effective if he played with more aggression. He was impressive during East-West Shrine practices, where he showed strong initial punch and excellent footwork. Meredith started 38 games, including eight at right guard, 11 at right tackle and 19 at left tackle. In the past two seasons, coaches' stats credit him with 17 blocks that resulted in touchdowns while allowing seven sacks on 753 pass plays. Meredith graduated in May 2008 with a 3.7 grade-point average."

- "Alex Mack, California, 6-4, 311: He graduated last May, and among his many honors was the 2008 Draddy Award, given to college football's top scholar-athlete. Cal coaches call Mack the complete package at center, with great intelligence and technique, tremendous vision and an amazing awareness of his surroundings. At his pro day, he looked good in drills and was timed between 5.17 and 5.25 seconds in 40 yards but had a pedestrian 20 repetitions on the bench press with 225 pounds. According to coaches' stats, he registered 32 blocks that resulted in a touchdown and as a starter allowed one sack. After struggling against the bull-rush as a junior, he was improved last season and during Senior Bowl workouts."

- "Max Unger, Oregon, 6-5, 309: Versatility will add to Unger's value. He started 51 consecutive games and earned all-conference honors in every season — at left tackle in 2005 and 2006 and at center in 2007 and 2008. During his two seasons at center, coaches' stats credit him with 180 knockdowns and 29 blocks that resulted in touchdowns. In his last 786 plays, he was not penalized and allowed 6½ sacks. Although he is adept at the shotgun snap, Unger needs experience with the quarterback under center and might need more bulk to hold his ground at the next level."

- "Eric Wood, Louisville, 6-4, 310: Although taller than most centers, Wood is able to make the cut block. He gets off the ball and into his man in a blink and can drive back smaller tackles. Wood was team captain in 2008 and took pride in making all the line calls. In the last two seasons, coaches' stats credit Wood with 27 blocks that resulted in touchdowns and 164 knockdowns. On his last 992 pass plays he allowed two quarterback pressures."

- "Trevor Canfield, 6-5, 307, Cincinnati: A mauler, Canfield is as subtle as a punch in the mouth. He has a good combination of height, long arms, agility and a nasty disposition between the snap and the whistle. He not only blocks defenders, he blocks through them. He started 39 consecutive games, and coaches credit him with 300 knockdown blocks in that time. He also had 37 blocks that resulted in touchdowns. He was by far the most effective pass blocker on a team that gave up 134 sacks while he was starting. He was responsible for seven sacks in his career and as a senior gave up three sacks on 472 pass plays."

Eric Wood's profile is very impressive, as is Canfield's, as expected.

I'm wondering if the Duke can play tackle.

Where are Wood and Canfield projected to be picked?

Wood is a 2nd rounder - somewhere between Cincinnati and 38 and Arizona at 63 seems likely, and probably higher rather than lower. Canfield is a solid 3rd rounder or early 4th rounder, somewhere between around 73-105 or so. He could be available at 89 or 97. He and TJ Lang are my preferred OG options in the 3rd round. Lang has more versatility, but Canfield has a nastiness that would be very nice opposite Mankins.

Wood is a 2nd rounder - somewhere between Cincinnati and 38 and Arizona at 63 seems likely, and probably higher rather than lower. Canfield is a solid 3rd rounder or early 4th rounder, somewhere between around 73-105 or so. He could be available at 89 or 97. He and TJ Lang are my preferred OG options in the 3rd round. Lang has more versatility, but Canfield has a nastiness that would be very nice opposite Mankins.

Thanks. I would like either but Canfield would make our o-line meaner :mad:

I can't see Canfield (or Urbik, for that matter) as a fit for this offense. Our guards need to have a degree of agility that he doesn't seem to have. He seems to be purely a straight-ahead guy, and I have severe doubts about his ability to pull and to adjust to moving targets.

Thanks. I would like either but Canfield would make our o-line meaner :mad:

I'm currently favoring the following draft scenario:

- trade 23 and 58 to the Giants for 29 and 45; with Miami rumored to be interested in Nicks, I could see the Giants wanting to move up for a big WR
- 29: Connor Barwin, OLB
- 34: Louis Delmas, S
- 45: either Jarron Gilbert, DE, Larry English (to move to SILB) or trade to New Orleans for a 2010 1st
- 47: Jamon Meredith, OT
- 89: a DT backup for Wilfork such as Chris Baker, Sammie Lee Hill or Dorell Scott
- 97: Trevor Canfield or TJ Lang, OG (could swap the 89 and 97 order)
- 124: A developmental WR such as Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson or Austin Collie

Any thoughts?

I love the trade scenario with the Giants! :)

I'm pretty confident BB will take an OL at some point on day one. With guys like Unger, Woods and Luigs able to play mutiple positions they would make for ideal candidates in that mid-late 2nd round area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes