Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Curran delivers a 2x4 to the heads of the more pathetic mediots of Boston:

Tom Curran said:
The current Patriots are – along with the 80s and 90s 49ers, the 60s Packers, and the 70s Steelers – the most successful organization the NFL has seen.

And there is no end in sight, especially with their 35-year-old quarterback playing better with each passing season.

You don’t get to hear that enough. Why is that?

and

Tom Curran said:
Those born before 1960 are afflicted with a more virulent strain of miserable. They romanticize the 1967 Red Sox, a team that didn’t even win the friggin’ World Series, as the pinnacle of their sports-viewing lives. They remember a time when the teams they covered needed them because they were the only voice in town. Now, not so much.

They could only take so much success from one franchise before reverting to the hackneyed, sky-is-falling, “you don’t know what we know” storylines that get them to deadline and onto their next gig.

If the Patriots beat the Texans, the fossils will tell you it’s the outcome everyone expected anyway. If they lose, it’s comeuppance for the arrogant Patriots.

Curran: Texans' turn at trying to roll with Patriots

Here's more from that excellent piece:

"There’s a lazy tendency around here for media types to point out that the Patriots haven’t won a Super Bowl in eight seasons, as if that’s a damning fact.

That “stat” - like so much of what we in the media sadly offer our consumers - is devoid of context and thought, merely a ploy to agitate when we haven’t bothered to investigate."

You tell 'em, Tommy!!!!!!

I enjoyed that piece.

In fairness to the Mazzes and Curly Haired Boyfriends of the world, they just aren't used to being second fiddle in this town. For decades if you were a Red Sox beat writer or columnist, you were in clear pole position at the top of the Boston Sports Media chain. They were the captains of the football team and looked down at the peeones who wrote for the Pats.

Now they gotta look at young guys like Mike Reiss, Christopher Gasper, and other Patriots guys who weren't even twinkles in the their fathers' eyes when many of these Red Sox dinosaurs started their Red Sox media career being the ones who are getting the key TV and radio positions (minus Mazz obviously) and getting to give year round coverage on local radio and TV.

Guys like Bob Ryan went through the same thing in the early to mid 90s when the Celtics fell off the face of the earth in terms of Boston sports media. Ryan was a miserable SOB during the late 90s and early 2000s (moreso than he is now at least). Now it is the Red Sox guys are feeling the same thing.

"There’s a lazy tendency around here for media types to point out that the Patriots haven’t won a Super Bowl in eight seasons, as if that’s a damning fact.

That “stat” - like so much of what we in the media sadly offer our consumers - is devoid of context and thought, merely a ploy to agitate when we haven’t bothered to investigate."

I liked this one too:

"We will find out tonight whether they may be worthy adversaries to the one AFC constant since 2001. The Patriots."

Man I'm getting itchy for this game to arrive.

Good job, Tom E! I am tired of listening to Mazz' inane musings about the Patriots and the NFL. The man knows baseball and he should stick to that. Last week he was going on about how this MNF game will tell us if the Patriots are real Super Bowl contenders or not. I just turned the dial, which I find myself doing a lot more these days.

It really is always, "well, they should have won" if a victory comes out of a Sunday (or Monday). But victory isn't enough; it has to be with style. But not too much, style because then it's running up the score and the Patriots beating up upon the doldrums of the NFL. In reality, this team, historically, gets better as the season goes on. Who they are, even now, might not be who they are come mid January (hoping for a round one bye).

Yeah, that is sort of like Jets' fans' favorite line:

"The Pats haven't won anything since Spygate"

Which is funny from fans of teams that haven't won anything since Watergate.

There have been about a half dozen teams who arguably have been more successful than the Pats in the last eight years (meaning they won a Super Bowl). The Pats are a contender every year.

But to be fair, fans on this board killed the Pats for being one minute away from winning the Super Bowl last year because they let James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather go as if they were definitely going to be the difference in the Super Bowl. So it just isn't the jealous Red Sox media.

passing-the-torch.jpg

Yeah, that is sort of like Jets' fans' favorite line:"The Pats haven't won anything since Spygate"

Which is funny from fans of teams that haven't won anything since Watergate.
There have been about a half dozen teams who arguably have been more successful than the Pats in the last eight years (meaning they won a Super Bowl). The Pats are a contender every year.

But to be fair, fans on this board killed the Pats for being one minute away from winning the Super Bowl last year because they let James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather go as if they were definitely going to be the difference in the Super Bowl. So it just isn't the jealous Red Sox media.

That's real funny and true Rob.:D

Last edited:
Perhaps Tom E. has come full circle.. hope so, he used to be excellent when he wrote for the Providence Journal..

I posted it over on texans talk. Balance.

squeeky maz is a red sox yahoo who despices the fact that the Pats are getting more attention than his wittle wittle wed socksies

pay no attention to the squeeky voice behind the micophone. he's a football know-nothing

Great column..it is so true.....funny that the team with the most championships isn't even mentioned...lol...just like opposing fans hate on the Pats because they hate "Winners" in general...same goes with the in town media moguls....TFB....it's a shame some folks have to live in the past.....It's Nouvoux Pats fans who have only experienced winning who can be arrogant at times....the ones like myself that experienced the lowest of low time with the Pats..who have been there...are more humble

squeeky maz is a red sox yahoo who despices the fact that the Pats are getting more attention than his wittle wittle wed socksies

pay no attention to the squeeky voice behind the micophone. he's a football know-nothing

true story: I went to Boston.com this morning, checking up on the world, and saw a Pats headline. About to click when I saw Mazz's mug next to it. No click from me. There is no reason for me ever to care what he has to say about football. Yet he gets paid for it. Weird.

........But to be fair, fans on this board killed the Pats for being one minute away from winning the Super Bowl last year because they let James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather go as if they were definitely going to be the difference in the Super Bowl. So it just isn't the jealous Red Sox media.

Ouch. You really know how to hurt a guy. :D

BTW, yes, I think the Patriots could have at least gotten something in trade value instead of just calling those guys a cab.

.....but that's a subject for another thread, if you'd like to continue it.

Last edited:
For the statement below, he will forever be immortalized:
That “stat” - like so much of what we in the media sadly offer our consumers - is devoid of context and thought, merely a ploy to agitate when we haven’t bothered to investigate.

Something Belichick doesn't get enough credit for is the news blackout, and how little information leaks from Foxborough. The sharks in this media market would turn it into another circus like the Jets and Red Sox if given the slightest access.

Good job, Tom E! I am tired of listening to Mazz' inane musings about the Patriots and the NFL. The man knows baseball and he should stick to that. Last week he was going on about how this MNF game will tell us if the Patriots are real Super Bowl contenders or not. I just turned the dial, which I find myself doing a lot more these days.

It really is always, "well, they should have won" if a victory comes out of a Sunday (or Monday). But victory isn't enough; it has to be with style. But not too much, style because then it's running up the score and the Patriots beating up upon the doldrums of the NFL. In reality, this team, historically, gets better as the season goes on. Who they are, even now, might not be who they are come mid January (hoping for a round one bye).

If inanity were the only problem, I could put up with it. It's Misserotti's painful strangled voice, like someone's sweaty fingers rubbing up and down on a balloon that drives me batty. Can't listen.

LOL! Felger gives in on the air that his argument that the Pats haven't played anyone doesn't hold weight and the numbers prove the Pats have a much harder schedule than he gave them credit for and a harder schedule than the Texans. Meanwhile, Mazz refuses to give them credit for playing tough teams from what I can see as his best argument being "Because!".

Well, Mazz shows that Curran definitely has a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes