Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nice bi-partisanship, Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The fact that they are considering this is terrible - and I don't care if others have done it, Obama claimed to be different :

Obama May Use Legislative Ploy to Jam Through Health, Tax Bills - Bloomberg.com

"President Barack Obama may try to push through Congress a health-care overhaul, energy proposals and tax increases by using a partisan tactic that would thwart Republican efforts to block the measures.

The administration and congressional Democrats are debating whether to use a parliamentary procedure called reconciliation to advance some of the biggest items on the president’s agenda. The move would allow Democrats to approve plans to raise taxes by $1 trillion, create a cap-and-trade system to rein in greenhouse-gas emissions, and overhaul health care without a single Republican vote . . . House Democrats are pushing to use reconciliation because it would help ensure they don’t end up voting for tax increases and other legislation that can be blocked by Senate Republicans."
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

Change we can believe in.
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Hope and Change, baby. Hope and Change. :rolleyes:
  4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

in other words........BOHICA
  5. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

"If you make under 250,000..."
  6. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

"There were 1.5 million people at the Obama inauguration.
    Only 16 missed work!"
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

generally, when you put quotes around a statement, you're supposed to attritube it to someone... would that be possible for you?
  8. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't know the source, it was actually a bumper sticker someone sent me in an email.
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I don't see why Obama should try to work with the Republicans after they organized and voted 100% in the House against his stimulus bill. He held an olive branch and they turned it down. Had they allowed their members to vote their conscience, I'm sure the stimulus bill would have received a handful of Republican votes. As is, it was the Democrats who showed bipartisanship, since they were allowed to vote their consciences and some voted against the bill. Obama should not try to work with the Republicans unless they signal a greater willingness to work with him. But, given Boehner's behavior, Rush's desire to see Obama fail, and the consistency of the attacks on Obama from the right, he's better off simply targeting those handful of Senate Republicans who are centrists than in working with the Republican Party in general.