PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice article with behind the scenes stuff from the Steelers game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere. Not brilliantly composed, but lots f very interesting insight, imo. Well worth reading.

Sideline Notebook: Patriots @ Steelers | Sunday Night Football All Access

I spoke to Welker the night before the game and he told me that a few days after he tore his ACL and MCL last January 3, he knew he’d be back playing week one because he had the entire off-season to recover. But not long after his surgery was, what he called, his low point: he was home alone with no one there to help him get in the shower. He said he had to get on his behind and scoot around to get in and reach to turn the water on. He felt pretty helpless.

He said physically he has no issues but some mental hurdles remain – he thinks about the knee in the split second when he plants the way he did when he originally tore it – so building trust in it is still a work in progress. But he had to gain confidence in the knee after last night’s performance, especially on a field that was badly torn up, making the footing uncertain and precarious.

Tough place for Welker to be right now. If he doesn't plant the way he used to, and test the knee, he'll never be the receiver he was. However, if he stresses the knee and it gives out, maybe he's done.

Let's hope it works out.

Last edited:
Nice Find! Thanks for that!

New England has used 19 different starters this season, and opened with four rookies in the lineup last night. Only three defenders have started all nine games: Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty and Vince Wilfork. And I challenge you to name me three others on this new look D
wonder why this doesnt get much play. maybe because its not because of injuries but the setup of the team

Hats off to Kremer, that's some dynamite reporting. Thanks for posting the link!

Sadly I figure it won't be long before the dimwit all-the-media-sux crowd chimes in with their imagined slights and shortcomings...ugh

wonder why this doesnt get much play. maybe because its not because of injuries but the setup of the team
From day one fans pay a lot more attention those that score the touchdowns, or at least get their hands on the ball. So far more attention is paid to quarterbacks, running backs and receivers by the fans; the media knows what fans are drawn to so they do the same.

I think for a while fans as a whole were starting to become more sophisticated and recognize the importance of linemen and defensive players, but then fantasy football went from an obscure footnote to something that people who don't even follow the NFL took part in once the average person had a computer and internet access.

To me the pendulum has swung back the other way for the collective audience that is targeted by the NFL, TV and football related websites; fantasy football is so prevalent that much more focus is placed on players that affect that pastime. Net result is the media pays much more attention to an in-season injury to a season-ending injury and much more attention to a WR or RB than a DL or CB.

If Joseph Addai had gone on IR August 30th we wouldn't be hearing about it now - in my opinion largely because of FF. If typical FF scoring included tackles by a defensive player, I can guarantee you there would be many more stories across the country about Jerod Mayo and Pat Chung.

A lot of people seem to be focused on the disparity of reports on injuries between the Pats and Colts as some type of media conspiracy or blindness, but in my opinion it's simply the subtle effect of fantasy football on reporting on the real NFL games.

Sorry for derailing the thread - good catch on that article JSn.

Last edited:
Nice read, thanks.

Very interesting read. Some great insights, e.g. the myth of halftime adjustments.

Nice find. BTW if you click the link at the bottom of the article, there is a great article on the Gronkowski brothers as well

Jsn, Nice find, thanks for sharing.....

Interesting observations from the Steelers sideline.

Nice read there. Liked how she let us in on that tidbit about the opposing sidelines. Thanx JSN

Very interesting read. Some great insights, e.g. the myth of halftime adjustments.

Yup. Another gem of BB "I always loved that Belichick would be incredulous about the notion of halftime adjustments – he’d say, if you wait that long the game’s over"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes