PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice Article on Watson TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

njpatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060108/REPOSITORY/60108001/1031

"Watson's touchdown gave New England a 21-3 lead with 3:03 left in the third, though only five minutes earlier the outcome was very much in doubt. With the Patriots ahead 7-3, and marching toward the end zone, Brady looked to Watson and found him near the 5-yard line.

That's where the tight end caught the ball and spun up field, but this time as he did, Peterson reached in and ripped the ball free. The pigskin skipped about 4 yards forward, and New England was lucky when receiver Andre Davis was the one who pounced on it for the recovery. The very next play, Brady found David Givens to extend the Patriots' edge to 11.

Watson went over to Davis after the play and patted him on the helmet, but not without first letting the fumble sink into his own head.

"The game is long and you hope you get a chance to make another play," Watson said. "Thankfully I got that chance."

When Peterson tried the same trick mere minutes later, Watson held on and broke Jacksonville's back with the score that surely had jam-packed Gillette Stadium harking back to the days of same-named brawny tight end Ben Coates. "

R

Good article nj, thanks for the link!

Yes, good article - the same writer had another one I enjoyed:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060108/REPOSITORY/60108003/1031

Linebacker Beisel has coming-out party

For the first five games of this season...Monty Beisel wasn't much more than the scapegoat for a struggling defense that was surrendering more than 27 points a game.

Maybe met by unfair expectations, most fans envisioned the 6-foot-3, 238-pound free agent as the guy who would slide into Bruschi's spot at the heart of the Patriots defense. But early in the year, they got the opposite.

But last night, Beisel got a second chance at carving a legacy in New England...Beisel stepped in as the starting middle linebacker and made his presence felt early.

Playing primarily on first and second downs (Chad Brown often replaced him on third down), Beisel tackled Fred Taylor for an 8-yard loss in the opening quarter, and finished the half tied for the team lead with two takedowns.

Also, he often seemed to be hawking the ball and actively filling running lanes, two indications that he has begun to recognize his role in New England's complex defenses. That was the knock on Beisel earlier in the year, but Bill Belichick said this week he has improved in that area - and overall.

"I think it's a combination of technique and then the reads and the responsibilities on what the linebacker sees," the coach said of the 27-year-old's improvement. "I do think they were different from what he had been playing in the Kansas City system. I think some of it is technique and some of it is recognition.

"Monty is a strong, physical kid. I don't think it's about his strength or his physical ability. I think, like with most defensive players, it's about technique and recognition and leverage."
The article finished up with a variety of notebook scraps. Thankfully, none of us is the coach of the Patriots, BB won't waste talent in a fit of frustration. :cool:

Watson made that play because the LB had a cast on his hand and couldn't grip. It's that simple..... Still, a great effort by Watson, and he deserved credit.

As for Biesel, I don't think it's time to be counting chickens quite yet.

sieglo said:
Nor is it time to throw the baby out with the bath water.

sieglo said:
Watson made that play because the LB had a cast on his hand and couldn't grip. It's that simple..... Still, a great effort by Watson, and he deserved credit.

Oh......all 4 Jags had casts on their arms on that play? please.

Just wondering, did the jags defensive backs CHASING (and failing to catch) a 250+ LB TE have casts on, too?

Holy Diver said:
Oh......all 4 Jags had casts on their arms on that play? please.

Geez, I am giving Watson great credit. He still broke two tackles, made a great physical effort to stay inbounds, and then outran a bunch of corners for the TD with his 4.4. speed. Just pointing out that we're lucky that one guy had a cast on and couldn't wrap up. No way Fauria or most tight ends in the league would have made that play.

njpatsfan said:

That is a good article. I also saw the Weather Vane ad at the top. They've come a long way. The first or second of their restaurants is a 5 minute walk from my house of upbringing. They started off as a "hole in the wall". Brings back memories.

I don't know too much about the Pats tight ends. Is Watson the one the Pats expect the most of long term, or is it Graham? Both? Fauria? Thanks.

Good writing...

Dave D'onofrio is a budding Reiss. Not living in NE anymore, I get only the mainstream media from the Pats News blitz, and the online Globe, Herald and Journal, so I don't see other writers.

Living in football towns, I am amazed how poor and predictable the Pats media coverage is. In DC, where the Redskins are GOD, there is an article or two every single day all year long about the Skins in-season or not. The writers dig, find original interviews, human interest stories or explore particular plays and players. They do a hell of a lot more than merely recap and give box scores the day after, or make upcoming game predictions the day before.

sprint to the goal line

sieglo said:
Geez, I am giving Watson great credit. He still broke two tackles, made a great physical effort to stay inbounds, and then outran a bunch of corners for the TD with his 4.4. speed. Just pointing out that we're lucky that one guy had a cast on and couldn't wrap up. No way Fauria or most tight ends in the league would have made that play.
aha! there's the point for me. a number of tiight ends can, and do, break 3 tackles and get to the first down marker. daniel graham can do it. jeremy shockey, antonio gates.
THAT SPRINT DOWN THE FIELD is what most nfl TEs cannot do.
those were CBs, and a safety, chasing him. the fastest players on the defense. logical to assume they all run 4.55 or better. well, that ain't fast enough to catch mr. watson, folks (wild laughter).
remember now, he had knee surgery about 20 months ago. looks like somebody did a good job of slicing, and he did a good job of rehabbing.

Fanfrom1960 said:
That is a good article. I also saw the Weather Vane ad at the top. They've come a long way. The first or second of their restaurants is a 5 minute walk from my house of upbringing. They started off as a "hole in the wall". Brings back memories.

I don't know too much about the Pats tight ends. Is Watson the one the Pats expect the most of long term, or is it Graham? Both? Fauria? Thanks.
Graham is a 1st round pick, fast, great blocker, good hands, was a little slow to adjust to the multiple duties BB wants from TEs, but really came on strong to start the first half of the season before injuring his shoulder - I won't be surprised if he has surgery in February. He could be Tony Gonzalez-like if he was a primary receiver and not a hybrid WR/OL/FB in the BB scheme. See what he did in the Atlanta game, great run, more impressive then Watson's the other night. Still has upside.

Watson is a 1st round pick, faster, shaky blocker, good hands, injured all last year, handles receiver well, needs a lot of work on blocking. Another Tony G prospect in another scheme. Great upside.

Fauria, 1st or 2nd round Seattle pick, 10th year vet, fair speed, solid blocker/receiver, smart, good mentor to Graham and Watson, could start on many teams, 3rd string here. FA after this season, should be brought back for another year or two as insurance (and to keep his face behind a helmet to save a lot of marriages ;) ), he will be the primary blocker through the post-season unless Graham is in better shape then reported.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Graham is a 1st round pick, fast, great blocker, good hands, was a little slow to adjust to the multiple duties BB wants from TEs, but really came on strong to start the first half of the season before injuring his shoulder - I won't be surprised if he has surgery in February. He could be Tony Gonzalez-like if he was a primary receiver and not a hybrid WR/OL/FB in the BB scheme. See what he did in the Atlanta game, great run, more impressive then Watson's the other night. Still has upside.

Watson is a 1st round pick, faster, shaky blocker, good hands, injured all last year, handles receiver well, needs a lot of work on blocking. Another Tony G prospect in another scheme. Great upside.

Fauria, 1st or 2nd round Seattle pick, 10th year vet, fair speed, solid blocker/receiver, smart, good mentor to Graham and Watson, could start on many teams, 3rd string here. FA after this season, should be brought back for another year or two as insurance (and to keep his face behind a helmet to save a lot of marriages ;) ), he will be the primary blocker through the post-season unless Graham is in better shape then reported.

Box, thanks for the summary re the N.E. tight ends. Tony Gonzalez, man, if either Watson or Graham could be like him. I saw him play at Cal, both football and basketball and you could tell he had a great chance to be an all timer. Looks like N.E. is set here if these guys can stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes