PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFP: Pats possible in the market for backup QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, am fine with K O'C at #2........

Seems to me I heard endless moaning about Cassel not being a good enough #2 last year and look how he turned out.

O'C is doing what BB asks of him at this stage of preseason..... sheeeesh relax a little all you worriers.......:cool:

Seems to me I heard endless moaning about Cassel not being a good enough #2 last year and look how he turned out.

O'C is doing what BB asks of him at this stage of preseason..... sheeeesh relax a little all you worriers.......:cool:

The problem is that's not true. Bill never asks them to make bad decisions...

KOC is a work in progress. He's not yet ready to be a backup to Brady. That's why Walter was brought in. If he was unhappy with that decision he'd have done something about it before now. There isn't much else out there to choose from. Not the guy Pioli doesn't want as his #2 in KC and not the guy who couldn't beat out Kolb and fend off the Vick signing in Philly.

This is like a pre season rite of passage here, the call for a name backup who has zero familiarity with the system and little success elsewhere. We signed that guy already. His name is Walter.

Yes, many of us were wrong about Cassell, although I would still have preferred having Garcia on the squad.

However, Cassell has 4 seasons and preseasons of learning and practice after learning for the best college QB coach in history. Cassell was a great unknown to us since he hadn't started a game since high school. Belichick had seen enough in practices to anoint Cassell the #2.

With KOC, it's all out there for everyone to see. He just isn't ready. And, Belichick seemed to agree with we doubters when he brought in Walter.

I personally like that thought. I like Feeley as a backup to Brady better than McCown or Thigpen, and better than either Walter or O'Connell (at this stage). How about we trade Alex Smith for him? :D
Done!
DW Toys

As I said in another thread, keep in mind how bad Cassel looked last preseason and that was his 4th year in the system compared to KO's 2nd. Still though, I think Walter is a solid backup with KO as the #3 while he's still learning.

Not to sound the panic alarm cause I think 12 is gonna be OK but anyone else think, given the moderate statistical success he had behind a horrid line in KC last year running the spread that Thigpen might be worth a look? I know they were 2-14 or whatever, but they lost a LOT of close games.

If the Patriots trade for Thigpen I may become a Jets or Dolphins fan. That's how much I don't want Thigpen.

Jeff Garcia is on the outsi in san fran...but,I don't know if BB would want him as his only success was in the West Coast offense.

Feeley is the guy to go after...salary-wize,he'kinda expensive.

What about the other "second coming"?...matt schaub,what's he doing,besides cahing his checks.

Don't post too much. More of a lurker than a poster so couldn't start a new thread.

Cassel in 2008 pre-season, no way equals O'Connell in 2009 pre-season.

Big difference?

Cassel was running with the 1st team against the opposition first D.
O'Connell hasn't been running with the 1st team. But the 2s and 3s. And has been awful.

I'd send a 6th for Feeley.

Don't post too much. More of a lurker than a poster so couldn't start a new thread.

Cassel in 2008 pre-season, no way equals O'Connell in 2009 pre-season.

Big difference?

Cassel was running with the 1st team against the opposition first D.
O'Connell hasn't been running with the 1st team. But the 2s and 3s. And has been awful.

I'd send a 6th for Feeley.

I don't get it. Walter may have upside, drafted higher - might have gone in the first if not for a late season shoulder injury, 5 years younger, never had much of a shot in the abyss known as the black hole. Feeley was a 5th round developmental QB drafted by a well coached and successful Eagles to be McNabb's backup and over the course of 8 years in the NFL he has never been able to even lock that slot down (with three teams and the Eagles twice now...).

Walter needs to start the last preseason game to see what he can do. KOC looks awful, I don't seeing him having an NFL career except holding clipboard if he is lucky. The Patriots should be looking at available backup QBs for sure. Maybe get Damon Huard from the 49ers.

Last edited:
Walter needs to start the last preseason game to see what he can do. KOC looks awful, I don't seeing him having an NFL career except holding clipboard if he is lucky. The Patriots should be looking at available backup QBs for sure. Maybe get Damon Huard from the 49ers.

Because, obviously, if he looks awful now, he'll never get it together. :rolleyes:

I completely agree, O'Connell was not looking great with what 2 interceptions. I think we should see how Walter does.

That would make me feel insecure at this point.
Your insecurities are legion. :p

Seriously, how comfortable do you feel with O'C at #2 after last night?
Nothing I saw last night changes that assessment. I can see the argument for keeping Walter and working him in camp, but at the moment I'm looking at the roster and in terms of what he brings to the roster vs a core Special Teams player... :confused2:

Your insecurities are legion. :p

Nothing I saw last night changes that assessment. I can see the argument for keeping Walter and working him in camp, but at the moment I'm looking at the roster and in terms of what he brings to the roster vs a core Special Teams player... :confused2:

I didn't get to see any of the pre-season action last year so I wasn't on the Cassel ... whatever is the opposite of bandwagon then.

But the guy whom I saw taking over from Brady looked very different from O'Connell to me. Sure, he wasn't very accurate on the long throws initially and he took a while to develop his decision-making, timing and sense for the pass rush. But he didn't stare down his receivers, throw into double coverage or chuck simple ten-yard passes to open receivers into the dirt, all of which I saw from O'Connell last night.

I didn't get to see any of the pre-season action last year so I wasn't on the Cassel ... whatever is the opposite of bandwagon then.

But the guy whom I saw taking over from Brady looked very different from O'Connell to me. Sure, he wasn't very accurate on the long throws initially and he took a while to develop his decision-making, timing and sense for the pass rush. But he didn't stare down his receivers, throw into double coverage or chuck simple ten-yard passes to open receivers into the dirt, all of which I saw from O'Connell last night.
Yes, Cassel in his fourth Training Camp was ahead of where O'Connell in his second is now. Further, Cassel did practice at a higher level in college, that said, O'Connell brings more game experience from college.
-- O'Con is still learning to read defenses - look how long it took Cassel once he was starting.
-- there was no game plan last night designed around O'Connell's strengths and away from his weaknesses.
-- NE was still testing out ideas and combinations of players to evaluate them.
-- O'Con had no Faulk, no Welker, very little time in camp with Watson, his front line was changing on him, and he was playing against a team that was playing for pride - even in preseason.

When all is said an done, O'Con did okay. BB may decide to keep Walter, it's a close call, but without BB's expert knowledge, my own inclination would be to go for depth elsewhere.

[Cassel] didn't stare down his receivers, throw into double coverage or chuck simple ten-yard passes to open receivers into the dirt, all of which I saw from O'Connell last night.

Oh, he did that a fair bit in the preseason, especially early in games. Except the missing open receivers part, obviously the mechanical part is still a work in progress.

Maybe there is some truth to this since the Patriots have released O'Connell.

Yes, Cassel in his fourth Training Camp was ahead of where O'Connell in his second is now. Further, Cassel did practice at a higher level in college, that said, O'Connell brings more game experience from college.
-- O'Con is still learning to read defenses - look how long it took Cassel once he was starting.
-- there was no game plan last night designed around O'Connell's strengths and away from his weaknesses.
-- NE was still testing out ideas and combinations of players to evaluate them.
-- O'Con had no Faulk, no Welker, very little time in camp with Watson, his front line was changing on him, and he was playing against a team that was playing for pride - even in preseason.

When all is said an done, O'Con did okay. BB may decide to keep Walter, it's a close call, but without BB's expert knowledge, my own inclination would be to go for depth elsewhere.

Sorry, I'm still not convinced ... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back