PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFP Mock Draft-Second Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would absolutely call an assault on a much smaller person thuggish, putting the burden of proof in the other direction, since there's few details. I really don't care that charges were later dropped.

However, there's a lot not to like about Canfield. For his size, he has ridiculously short arms and very small hands. I don't know if he smells like cabbage, but unless he wows me with some athleticism at the Combine, he won't be on my list.
I've often found short man's syndrome to be an ugly reality, but not having any details I just focus on what I can see of his talent and rely on the Pats for the due diligence. I agree with the short arms and prefer Woods or one of the other Centers ahead of him, or an OT like Parrish or Meredith who could move inside, but I've watched Trevor enough to say he'd be a scrapper for NE and is decent value in the third.

They also had us taking Clay Matthews at #23 in their 1st round draft, which seems like a huge reach.

Based on their order, I would prefer:

1(23) Sean Smith, FS/CB (going #34 to StL in their draft)
2(47) Alex Mack, G/C (going #48 to Denver in their draft)
2(58) Connor Barwin, DE/LB (going #63 in their draft)

I personally like Smith > Butler, Mack > Unger, and Barwin > Matthews. But there are certainly lots of good players.

Great draft! Superb Mayo! As an option, I might stick Percy Harvin in there at #58. Mega-speed and moves plus he can play some RB. Gaffney was never a deep threat. Harvin will force teams to defend deep on both sides so the safeties cannot rotate. This will make Moss many more opportunities.

If we do that at #58 maybe Paul Kruger can be had in round three to take Barwins' spot. Same kind of disruptive pain-in-the-ass type of players to contend with for any offense. If Nik Harris the SS is avialable in round three he would be a great pick as well.

DW Toys

Great draft! Superb Mayo! As an option, I might stick Percy Harvin in there at #58. Mega-speed and moves plus he can play some RB. Gaffney was never a deep threat. Harvin will force teams to defend deep on both sides so the safeties cannot rotate. This will make Moss many more opportunities.

If we do that at #58 maybe Paul Kruger can be had in round three to take Barwins' spot. Same kind of disruptive pain-in-the-ass type of players to contend with for any offense. If Nik Harris the SS is avialable in round three he would be a great pick as well.

DW Toys

Connor Barwin's my binky. But if Percy Harvin fell to 58 it wouldn't even be close - Harvin would be a no-brainer. I could argue that if he somehow fell to 47 it would be a no-brainer. Having a binky is one thing. Passing up superior value is another.

Connor Barwin's my binky. But if Percy Harvin fell to 58 it wouldn't even be close - Harvin would be a no-brainer. I could argue that if he somehow fell to 47 it would be a no-brainer. Having a binky is one thing. Passing up superior value is another.

I think James Casey and Nik Harris are my binkies. But if anyone did notice when Stallworth was opposite Moss, there were 23 TD's to Moss and 50 total by TB. Now we did not have TB last season but we didn't have Stallworth either. Not saying that Stallworth was the main threat to keep everyone honest (that became Welker) that year, but he did have DCs thinking deep as a possibility on the opposite side. You could not rotate like they did on Moss more this year. You could single cover Gaffney.

Harvin would help Welker too by clearing out the safeties and having Welker covered by a LB in some cases. Yikes!

A TE up the middle when they go to cover two to deep end Moss and Harvin would be like "stealing" (see Hank Stram). That is why a Casey or a Gonzales, if they can get him from Pioli, would makes sense in this scenario. That is where Witten makes most of his business.
DW Toys

Last edited:
I think James Casey and Nik Harris are my binkies. But if anyone did notice when Stallworth was opposite Moss, there were 23 TD's to Moss and 50 total by TB. Now we did not have TB last season but we didn't have Stallworth either. Not saying that Stallworth was the main threat to keep everyone honest (that became Welker) that year, but he did have DCs thinking deep as a possibility on the opposite side. You could not rotate like they did on Moss more this year. You could single cover Gaffney.

Harvin would help Welker too by clearing out the safeties and having Welker covered by a LB in some cases. Yikes!

A TE up the middle when they go to cover two to deep end Moss and Harvin would be like "stealing" (see Hank Stram). That is why a Casey or a Gonzales, if they can get him from Pioli, would makes sense in this scenario. That is where Witten makes most of his business.
DW Toys

All those things would help. But it's a question of priorities. My priority for the team would be continuing to rebuild and improve the defense, so I wouldn't focus on the offense on the first day, unless some incredible opportunity fell in our laps that was too good to pass up (like Harvin at #58).

I need to see more about Casey but he's an intriguing prospect in the 3rd or 4th round. I'm afraid I'm not a Nic Harris fan - he played mostly LB at the Senior Bowl and will probably stay there. We don't need 230# LBs (or 230# safeties who can't cover).

DW Toys

I like where you are going with this, we need to look what TB had his most success with and build on that. I like Welker out of the slot full time with another WR to stretch the field opposite Moss. Welker and TG working the openings that leaves would be great rehab for Brady:D:D.

Losing Stallworth did hurt us but we knew he would be too expensive and that is business. You never know with BB I am sure he knows this and will address this in a way that we probably have not even touched on aka Dillion trade or Moss even. I would agree though that if Harvin is there at 47 we grab this kid he looks like a game breaker. Who knows maybe we can finally get the productions out of Watson we expected two years ago. Good discussion though and I loved the Hank Stram reference....still one of my favorite coaches of all time.

Last edited:
All those things would help. But it's a question of priorities. My priority for the team would be continuing to rebuild and improve the defense, so I wouldn't focus on the offense on the first day, unless some incredible opportunity fell in our laps that was too good to pass up (like Harvin at #58).

I need to see more about Casey but he's an intriguing prospect in the 3rd or 4th round. I'm afraid I'm not a Nic Harris fan - he played mostly LB at the Senior Bowl and will probably stay there. We don't need 230# LBs (or 230# safeties who can't cover).

I would agree that defense is the priority in the early rounds but if a OL fell or a good WR like Harvin then BB might have to draft offense on value purposes. We disagreed on the whole Harris thing but we covered that in another thread but you would agree if he shows cover skills at the Combine he may be worth one of our thirds??.

I am with you on Casey as I need to see more as well. He looked very productive in college but I am going to do some more homework on this kid but at 24 y/o he should be ready for the NFL.

I think James Casey and Nik Harris are my binkies. But if anyone did notice when Stallworth was opposite Moss, there were 23 TD's to Moss and 50 total by TB.

Now that is some seriously flawed/prejudiced logic. ;)

They have the Pats taking:

---

It's worth it to check out the entire mock, as it proves why myself and others are excited by the talent level available in this area of the draft. Even if we passed on Butler and Unger -- there's quite a few players who seem like they may fit the Pats system. :singing:

Maybe its just me, but I have a hard time believing that the Pats would take Butler when Mack and Unger are still on the board and are, arguably, better value at that point.

Re: Edge Rush

We need both corners and edge pass rush which complement each other.

We should be able to get an OLB/Converted DE to rush and a cb. I would like to get a combo of rookies and veterans using Cassell.

We shall see.

There has been a lot of talk about how there really isn't a genuine pass rusher in this draft who translates from a 4-3 DE into a 3-4 OLB.

But that isn't the real problem The real problem is that the Pats don't have the athleticism inside with Bruschi to rush the pass from any of the 4 LB spots. That's what made their pass rush so effective in 2003 and 2004.

The CBs will be fine, though they do need to add someone for depth. They could add a Jabari Greer or a Bryant McFadden (my hope) and that would lessen the need for a day 1 CB.

DW Toys

Lets clarify a few things.

1) Stallworth was riding the bench by the end of the 2006 season and saw only some time during the post-season. In fact, many people commented on how Stallworth disappeared at the end of the year and Gaffney had taken his place as the 3rd wide. Stallworth didn't click with Brady. And I don't believe that DCs were worried about Stallworth by the end of the season because he wasn't out there often.

2) A TE or another WR to help out the offense would be nice. Or, better yet, Thomas and Watson spending most of the off-season with the jugs machine and improving their hands would be just as beneficial.

3) Nate Washington, Antonio Bryant or Bryant Johnson would look nice opposite Moss. So would Anquan Boldin. But the 1st 3 are more likely. Especially Bryant now that Gruden is gone from Tampa.

Last edited:
I certainly agree. Do you really think that either Mack or Unger will be there at 48?

Maybe its just me, but I have a hard time believing that the Pats would take Butler when Mack and Unger are still on the board and are, arguably, better value at that point.

His name is Antonio Bryant btw. The only way he ever wears a Pats jersey is if he goes to the store and buy one at a store outside of New England. You will never see that clown in a Patriots jersey. Do your homework and you'll see he's not a Patriots kind of guy. He is a great talent with zero brains.

Tedy Bruschi's HC @ Arizona, **** Tomey, who now is the HC @ San Jose St could give Bruschi the inside scoop on this guy, but I like him a lot:
42. San Francisco 49ers: Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State
Expect Gilbert to move up draft boards in the coming months. He possesses the ideal length and power to play the 5-technique in the 3-4.

Has an excellent first step off the snap and can get up field. Shed blocks well. Played DT in college but would play DE in the Pats scheme. Excellent size (6-6, 280) and athletic ability and reminds me of former Broncos and current Ravens DE Trevor Pryce. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Pats take this kid in the 2nd Rd with one of their picks. Initially projected as a 5th Rd pick but is already flying up the boards to the 2nd/3rd Rd area.

Last edited:
Gilbert may not be there when we pick in the 2nd. As you say, he is moving up. He would be a fine pick, given the contract situations regarding our DE's.

Tedy Bruschi's HC @ Arizona, **** Tomey, who now is the HC @ San Jose St could give Bruschi the inside scoop on this guy, but I like him a lot:

Has an excellent first step off the snap and can get up field. Shed blocks well. Played DT in college but would play DE in the Pats scheme. Excellent size (6-6, 280) and athletic ability and reminds me of former Broncos and current Ravens DE Trevor Pryce. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Pats take this kid in the 2nd Rd with one of their picks. Initially projected as a 5th Rd pick but is already flying up the boards to the 2nd/3rd Rd area.

Lets clarify a few things.

1) Stallworth was riding the bench by the end of the 2006 season and saw only some time during the post-season. In fact, many people commented on how Stallworth disappeared at the end of the year and Gaffney had taken his place as the 3rd wide. Stallworth didn't click with Brady. And I don't believe that DCs were worried about Stallworth by the end of the season because he wasn't out there often.

2) A TE or another WR to help out the offense would be nice. Or, better yet, Thomas and Watson spending most of the off-season with the jugs machine and improving their hands would be just as beneficial.

3) Nate Washington, Anthony Bryant or Bryant Johnson would look nice opposite Moss. So would Anquan Boldin. But the 1st 3 are more likely. Especially Bryant now that Gruden is gone from Tampa.

So you think they go FA rather than a choice? Boldin works.
DW Toys

His name is Antonio Bryant btw. The only way he ever wears a Pats jersey is if he goes to the store and buy one at a store outside of New England. You will never see that clown in a Patriots jersey. Do your homework and you'll see he's not a Patriots kind of guy. He is a great talent with zero brains.

You might want to do your homework there. Antonio Bryant (thanks for the spelling correction) was on the Pats list to draft in 2002. Unforutnately, the Cowboys took him in the second round and the Pats took Deion Branch instead.

Thanks for your input. But then again, people said we'd never see Corey Dillon or Randy Moss in a Pats uniform either.

DW Toys

I don't see the Pats using a day 1 pick on a WR. Not when they have a ridiculous number of O-linemen and D-linemen who are going to be Free Agents (either UFA or RFA) between this season and next season. There is a ton of top quality O-linemen and Linebackers this year. I see the Pats looking in that direction. As well as a DE, a TE and possibly a FB and RB.

They may take a CB, but I don't think they will unless there is someone who has just blown their minds.

DW Toys

The Pats aren't going to pay 7M+ for a #2 wide receiver. Besides I have the feeling Boldin wants to be the #1, why would he come to New England to play second fiddle to Moss when he can't wait to escape the shadow of Larry Fitzgerald?

In any case I'd rather they invest their 7M+ in a veteran pass rushing OLB.

The Pats aren't going to pay 7M+ for a #2 wide receiver. Besides I have the feeling Boldin wants to be the #1, why would he come to New England to play second fiddle to Moss when he can't wait to escape the shadow of Larry Fitzgerald?

In any case I'd rather they invest their 7M+ in a veteran pass rushing OLB.

It's not the shadow of Larry Fitzgerald that's bothering him...it's the thickness of Fitzgerald's wallet compared to his, and the Cardinals' willingness to redo Fitzie's deal but not his, after he says they promised to do it.

There are many ways we can go about adding a WR, depending on which direction Belichick wants to go. If he wants a deep threat and use Moss to dominate the 15-20 yard range, Devery Henderson's the guy..or Bryant, if Belichick wants to take on his salary and character risk. If he wants to use Moss primarily as the deep threat to open up the middle, than Anquan Bolden (who is not a FA) TJ Houshmanzadeh (may be franchised) or Bobby Engram are the guys if Gaffney moves on. If he wants to keep Wes Welker as the #2 guy, than Engram could slip into the slot, or we would have to get the Tight End involved more. I think Dave Thomas can be that guy, even though many on this board are quick to call him a bust, but I'd definitely look to draft another one to fill the void from the departure of the sieve also known as Ben Watson after next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing