Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Inside the playbook: Brady to Moss | National Football Post

COCAINE for the off-season.

Excerpt:
There’s a simple reason the Pats put Moss into short motion before the snap — to avoid the jam. As we talked about when we broke down the Tampa 2, the corner is taught to jam and re-route the No. 1 WR. But when the wideout goes in motion toward the ball, he cannot chase and get outflanked to the flat. What this does is allow Moss to get a free release off of the line of scrimmage — and gain top speed down the field. A nasty thought for any DB in the NFL.

Last edited:
This is awesome stuff - I've been reading the Bowen articles as they come out, and they really are good. Especially for people like me that never played the game so its a nice insight.

This is about 8 million times better than ProFootballFocus, FootballOutsiders, Joyner, ESPNInsider, etc. and all those sites that try to apply metrics (and basically, baseball stuff) to football. Don't get me wrong, those make for an interesting read - but in football, you can't make any judgment without looking at the tape.

First thing that popped into my mind was:

"This was not interference on Bethea,but the Darius Butler coverage was?"..........pathetic:bricks:

Very nice insight here. Gives you a clue about how fast plays happen in the NFL as well. Bethea really didn't even take a step toward the LoS on the PA fake. He just kind of sat back on his feet for a second. Unfortunately for the Colts, that second was too long. Didn't they time this pattern and come to the conclusion that Moss was running something like a 4.3 40 at the time?

First thing that popped into my mind was:

"This was not interference on Bethea,but the Darius Butler coverage was?"..........pathetic:bricks:

That's exactly right. The Butler flag was horrendous. He had his back turned to Collie and was attempting to make a play for the ball. Bethea was, pretty clearly, trying to grab Moss' arms.

Must've been the same refs they used in the basketball game last night...

Must've been the same refs they used in the basketball game last night...

NBA action.............. It's Fixedtastic!

Very nice insight here. Gives you a clue about how fast plays happen in the NFL as well. Bethea really didn't even take a step toward the LoS on the PA fake. He just kind of sat back on his feet for a second. Unfortunately for the Colts, that second was too long. Didn't they time this pattern and come to the conclusion that Moss was running something like a 4.3 40 at the time?

That's exactly right. The Butler flag was horrendous. He had his back turned to Collie and was attempting to make a play for the ball. Bethea was, pretty clearly, trying to grab Moss' arms.

What is idiotic is that it's a first down and he should have seen that since Moss goes to short motion, he's trying to avoid a jam, therefore a long play is coming, so it's all on Bethea.

And actually Moss got away with a bump or two there that was just enough to tap Bethea and throw him off tracking the ball. Old WR trick.

Moss get jammed so often, why dont the Pats do more of this (i.e pre snap motion), even fooling the defense and actually running ?

Moss get jammed so often, why dont the Pats do more of this (i.e pre snap motion), even fooling the defense and actually running ?

Because there's no defense in the NFL that hasn't seen it all before. The key to successfully fooling an experienced D is to use your tricks sparingly. Just ask any competent and self-respecting magician how often they're willing to repeat a trick.

I made a topic on this after the Colts game. It was ripping on Jim Caldwell.

How any coach can expect a safety to stop Moss 1-1 is crazy to me. The Colts are the only team not to figure out that the cover2 does not work against elite wrs

Because Welker is put in motion a lot of the time

Okay, that's great. But how many teams run the Tampa 2 and play the Pats? Not many. Unless you have crazy pass rushers (like the Colts), it's one of the worst schemes in the NFL.

Last edited:
I made a topic on this after the Colts game. It was ripping on Jim Caldwell.

How any coach can expect a safety to stop Moss 1-1 is crazy to me. The Colts are the only team not to figure out that the cover2 does not work against elite wrs

Tampa 2 is not cover 2.

^ I meant tampa 2. My bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back