Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL's winning roster mix

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BPF, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

This article is a good read, especially for this time of year when teams build their rosters. I pulled out some interesting quotes from BB that give us some insight into his thinking.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26424648/site/21683474/

2. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Nice job BPF.....

I wonder who this guy was???

"Belichick explains that, a few years back, the team procured a defensive lineman to create speed mismatches. When it became clear that he wasn’t able to give an appreciably better result on the plays he was used, the cost-benefit of keeping him made him expendable. "
  3. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Klecko? Other options that I'm not thinking of since I'm only on cup #1 of Joe?
  4. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

Not much benefit, but hardly any cost (except for the roster spot -- and maybe that was the point since he couldn't play NT). I can't think of anyone else.
  5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Klecko is a good answer.

Belichick uses his team's running backs to illustrate his point.

"Even if you have Laurence Maroney (a semi-rugged everydown back) and Kevin Faulk (a slight and quick third-down back), you still need a backup that can do what Laurence does and if that's not Kevin, then you need somebody else," he explains. "When you have a really specialized player that's a lot different from the other players at the same position it gives you flexibility situationally but it would be hard to have Laurence, Kevin and another different style player. Then what do you do if something happens to Laurence? Now you can't do what Laurence does and you have no backup to Kevin. You can only go so far."

Unique skills are nice. But not too unique, Belichick explains.

Lamont Jordan can back up both Maroney and Faulk with only slight deficiencies. Good acquisition.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  6. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Roster management is such a tremendously interesting part of the game, I wish Curran could have gone on for many more pages with insights from around the league. I may be reading too much into it, but Lane Kiffin's comments seem steeped in frustration; I'd love to hear some of Al's remarks in response. Or to hear more from other GMs regarding this topic.

For two pages, though, Tom Curran killed it. Good read and good job.
  7. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is where fans totally miss the boat. All we see are stats and that FA "x" is better than current roster player "y."

INSTANT UPGRADE, everyone screams. WORTH TAKING A LOOK, HOW CAN IT HURT? etc etc etc etc

Fact is, it is a lot more about how a coach perceives the FA will fit into the mix, and that is something we fans can only guess at. (Doesn't stop us from trashing BB for not doing what we think he "should do, of course. :D )
  8. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 25 / -18

No Jersey Selected

1) Or maybe David Nugent? Casey Tisdale? Steve Martin? Ethan Kelley? Rodney Bailey? Jeremy Mincey? Kareem Brown? It's probably Klecko, though we'll also probably never know, at least not from the HC.

2) I don't think that Jordan is nearly as shifty & elusive as Faulk. Jordan is more a bowling ball, whereas Faulk is more a pinball. Jordan's hands may be as sure as Faulk's, but is his blocking? I'm still disappointed that the FO didn't try to attone for one of its mistakes in the '04 draft by signing Mewelde Moore as the backup RB/3DB & as the primary Returner.
  9. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +575 / 6 / -0

This is a nice take on "versatility," which we often talk about as Troy Brown-style cross-position flexibility. But for most players, intra-position versatility is the real key. Jordan is a great example, a very versatile player who only plays one position. Jabar Gaffney may not excel at any one WR role, but he can handle them all. Etc.

A great thing about Tom Curran as a football writer: he actually writes about football.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.