PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Most Memorable Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Forgive me if this was already posted but I thought folks here would appreciate this, as we've grown spoiled by having so many memorable drives for our team over the recent years... one in particular last week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu...12/nfl.longest.drives.end.zone/content.1.html

Overall it seems like we could find 10 memorable drives for the Patriots alone! (anyone got the time?)

Upon going over this list and seeing a few that had 3 minutes left or more, I couldn't help but think - 3 minutes? That's an eternity! The Patriots usually only need 90 seconds, two minutes at most!

Of course the 2001 Super Bowl is in there - my thought on that was how quickly we forget - that in addition to Brady and Brown, the other heroes on that drive were JR Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins! Talk about guys stepping up big in crunch time!

Wiggins I think should get a hometown hero award for giving us our first Lombardi - and JR deserves a tip of the hat even though he's in the "where are they now" category (I thought he was on the Cardinals but I don't think he's been active all year)

Forgive me if this was already posted but I thought folks here would appreciate this, as we've grown spoiled by having so many memorable drives for our team over the recent years... one in particular last week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu...12/nfl.longest.drives.end.zone/content.1.html

Overall it seems like we could find 10 memorable drives for the Patriots alone! (anyone got the time?)

Upon going over this list and seeing a few that had 3 minutes left or more, I couldn't help but think - 3 minutes? That's an eternity! The Patriots usually only need 90 seconds, two minutes at most!

Of course the 2001 Super Bowl is in there - my thought on that was how quickly we forget - that in addition to Brady and Brown, the other heroes on that drive were JR Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins! Talk about guys stepping up big in crunch time!

Wiggins I think should get a hometown hero award for giving us our first Lombardi - and JR deserves a tip of the hat even though he's in the "where are they now" category (I thought he was on the Cardinals but I don't think he's been active all year)

JR Redmond was a beast during that drive. If you go back and watch it, on the second play of the drive he catches a pass, is initially contacted at the numbers, yet fights his way out of bounds. Weiss said later if he doesn't get out of bounds they kill the clock and go to OT.

I believe he had a catch on each of the first two plays of the drive.

Anybody else remember the # 1 drive (according to SI), 1958, Colts over Giants? Old fart emoticon here. That game is still talked about as the best game of all time, or at least the one that put pro football in the limelight. I think Elway's drive, and Montana's two drives were the most heart pounding. Well, how can I not say Brady's two also.

JR Redmond was a beast during that drive. If you go back and watch it, on the second play of the drive he catches a pass, is initially contacted at the numbers, yet fights his way out of bounds. Weiss said later if he doesn't get out of bounds they kill the clock and go to OT.

I believe he had a catch on each of the first two plays of the drive.

No. He caught the first THREE passes of the drive.
4 yards to the 21
9 yards to the 30
11 yards to the 41.

awesome job, JR.

As confirmed in my other thread, Brady actually has 27 game winning drives in his career thus far.

So I think I'm safe in speaking for us all when I say Sports Illustrated erred - Brady and the Patriots should have ALL top ten!

The drive in the snow against the Raiders when Brady made all those throws to Patten is also very memorable.

Anybody else remember the # 1 drive (according to SI), 1958, Colts over Giants?

As a young brat who knew nothing about the game I only knew that the Colts had just done something magnificent. I didn't quite get what that was, but I did realize that something big happened. I remember Don Ameche sprawling into the end zone and a bunch of happiness. That's about it.

I seem to remember that the Giants were heavily favored in that game. I think it went into OT too.

I'm sure Frank Gifford remembers it better than me.

I think it's pretty awesome that the Pats, winning or losing, were involved in the top 3 on the list.

Even assuming a modern-day bias -- hey, it IS easier to remember something recent -- that underscores just how much they've dominated the football scene in recent years.

As a young brat who knew nothing about the game I only knew that the Colts had just done something magnificent. I didn't quite get what that was, but I did realize that something big happened. I remember Don Ameche sprawling into the end zone and a bunch of happiness. That's about it.

I seem to remember that the Giants were heavily favored in that game. I think it went into OT too.

I'm sure Frank Gifford remembers it better than me.
Alan Ameche. Don was an actor. You're right, it was an overtime game. I think the teams were rated pretty evenly, both being 9 - 3 in the regular season, and there was no AFC - NFC and which league was superior at that particular time yet. Also, the Colts had Unitas, the Giants Charlie Conerly. Advantage Unitas on that one. Wish I were that young again. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back